DDI VT Beta thread

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
[MENTION=54810]renau1g[/MENTION]
My issue was that I have windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and has installed jave 6 64bit but was running a 32 bit version of IE 8. So the java process would run and nothing else would happen. Also the web page would also clain that I had the incorrect version of java.
So going back to the java home page and verifying my installation I got a message saying that since i use 32 bit browsers I should also install the 32 bit version. So I did and then it worked fine after a reboot.
A couple of oddities, the server aske for creditentials twice, though I have no problem with saved creditentials. Also there is considerable delay after the java engine kicks off andthe VTT appears and sometimes I have to hit launch again.

Though it apprears that your issue is more fundamental. I wonder if there is a firewall on your router and it that is blocking your access.

Ktulu

First Post
I opened up the tabletop last night to dink around with it. So far it looks pretty reasonable. Had no troubles with the tile-mapping. I especially liked the possibility that they'll add all of their Fantastic Locations maps (seeing how they have one already in there). Makes it easy to design some encounters.

Other things I liked - Line of Sight marking and area burst/blast marking. Makes it very easy to handle those things.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to test it out in a playtest fashion tonight -- will provide more info afterward.

knifie_sp00nie

First Post
Does anyone that's used the beta think it's a fork of the Maptool code, or an all-original effort? All the screenshots look like a skinned version of Maptool and the fact that an all-Microsoft (internal) dev team would use Java seem odd.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing if it is a fork (if it's ok with the license), I'm just curious.

keterys

First Post
It is definitely not a fork of Maptools, from what I saw. Totally different approach on just about everything.

That said - I do hope the developers are using some of the other VTTs Maptools to learn some stuff.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Does anyone that's used the beta think it's a fork of the Maptool code, or an all-original effort? All the screenshots look like a skinned version of Maptool and the fact that an all-Microsoft (internal) dev team would use Java seem odd.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing if it is a fork (if it's ok with the license), I'm just curious.
No I do not, the draw tools on maptool drove me scatty when i first used them, the functionality is different and the option to use them like in maptool is not there (i.e. all curves close in maptool by default).

If there is common code with maptool then the fork was way earlier than any iteration of maptool over the last 2 years or so.

Thanlis

Explorer

I'm 99% sure it's GameTable Online's Metagame platform. They've worked with WotC before, the applet is signed by GameTable Online, Inc., and the servers are hosted in the same place GTO hosts their servers. That second point is probably the most convincing.

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
Derek, thanks for the report. I have a couple of questions that remained without a reply on the WotC forum.

1) What about screen resolution? How would it look like on a net PC with 1024 x 600 screen resolution?
2) What about double monitors or projector? Is this feature supported?

If those features work, I would really like to replace maps and minis with the VT for live games.

Please, let me know. :)

1) I tried it all the way down to 800 by 600. At that resolution, the window didn't fit entirely on the screen. I moved it up to 1024 by 768 and it fit better. You could probably use it at 800 by 600 in full screen mode, but the real estate is limited.

2) There does not seem to be any special projector or double monitor feature. It's still a window, so you could put it on a different monitor or project it straight from your PC.

If you want two different windows, one PC and one GM, then it looks like you'll need two different D&D insider accounts. I'll get one of the players in my home game to help me test this on Friday. It may require running two different browsers as well.

renau1g

First Post
That's entirely possible...I was at work on my lunch trying to access it. I'll try from home later tonight.

Turns out I can't access from work for whatever reason as it booted up no problem here. Maybe a firewall? I can access the new CB though from there :shrug:

Remove ads