Photos of your favorite poster maps / battle maps?

buddhafrog

First Post
What are your favorite poster/battle maps? Share them here with links to photos if possible.

Linking to photos of Dwarven Forge will not get you arrested by the town guard, but I'm more interested in poster maps that come with modules, map packs, etc.

I'll start with a three of my favorites sets:

Fantastic Locations: City of Peril
This can be bought for pretty cheap and has really useful maps market and inn poster - 1) a decent city market which can also be used for a sort of town square. 2) another Inn, yes, but my favorite inn with two stories. town and sewer posters - 3) a decent sewer map which is a little meh for me. 4) the best is a collection of buildings with "thief-walkways" connecting them. I've used this one in every game. Creating dungeons with tiles works well but cities are sometimes difficult which makes this set most useful.

Starship Troopers Floorplans:
If I had only one map set, it might be this very underrated set: Starship Troopers Floorplans - three double-sided poster maps of six different environmental locations: forest, beach, fields, marsh, rocks, tunnels, snow. I bought this set for about $6, and for the price, can't be beat. It's a great set to add a base environment to most locations.

Seekers of the Ashen Crown poster map:
great market scene - best market scene IMO, and potential to run various types of fun encounters here.
1/2 poster road - not too special, but a solid map. I'm tired of using Kings Road and back of the paizo flip-mat: Keep.
1/2 poster evil temple/throne room - I love this room and have used it in all my games for various purposes.

I didn't list any Gamemastery Flip-Mats although those are my favorite brand. Their quality is great and some of the maps are beautiful, but these sets above come with more than one image and thus are my favorites.

Last edited:

T-Bone

First Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Starship Troopers Floorplans. Paizo has them for $5, and I got 2 sets on Black Friday/Weekend special for $1.99 each.

Hopefully they have a 1" grid. I couldnt really see for sure, but the cover art looked like the do.

Note also that several of the WOTC maps you posted are available from Gale Force 9 in a rolled vinyl format. I have all 6 of the GF9 maps. The only one I was a little disappointed in was the Caves of Chaos map which looked bleached out/too light. Don't know what happened there, still usable though.

I recently saw the maps that come with the D&D Essentials DM Kit. There is a VERY nice Castle/Keep. And a VERY nice Farm.

The two latest D&D 4E modules, and the Vor Rukoth setting book all have great poster maps as well. Amazon prices make these worth picking up for the maps alone. I haven't read much of the word content yet though.

buddhafrog, how are you able to link to the WotC poster maps? Aren't they behind the pay wall, and if not, could you tell how you found them and if there are others? Thanks.

buddhafrog

First Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Starship Troopers Floorplans. Paizo has them for $5, and I got 2 sets on Black Friday/Weekend special for $1.99 each.

Hopefully they have a 1" grid. I couldnt really see for sure, but the cover art looked like the do.

Great deal! 1" maps, yep. This map pack is the best deal that basically no one seems to know about. I love them and use them all the time. The swamp, beach, and forest map are particularly useful.

buddhafrog

First Post
buddhafrog, how are you able to link to the WotC poster maps? Aren't they behind the pay wall, and if not, could you tell how you found them and if there are others? Thanks.

I'm a level 23 thief. I have my ways. :devil:

Additionally, I don't think they're behind the pay wall - I'm not a subscriber. I just did *a lot* of searches and found the links.

I DM a 1/2 dozen games a week in Korea and really need more materials/modules/maps. This Christmas I'm buying up loads of items. Part of the determining factor on what module I would buy was the map that came with it. On Amazon many of these newer modules/maps go for about $10 - good deal. Unfortunately it was hard to find pictures of most of these maps. I did tons of searches and found these links. This is what led me to start this overwhelmingly popular thread.

I just got my DM Kit and Monster Vault and was able to see the enclosed maps in person. Monster Vault was pretty lousy only b/c is a map I already have - the snow village map (which is a great map btw - but I don't need two). The DM Kit map is just fantastic with a farm, small buildings, and awesome castle wall. Very reusable. That probably is one of my top three map sets actually.

T-Bone

First Post
I found pictures of the maps from vor Rukoth and the other two recent WOTC D&D modules (whos titles I can't seem to remember) on the website for pasadena meetup. They had laid out the maps and posted pics of them. Made me immediately buy the modules.

As a D&D battlemap collector, I got most of the Paizo "map packs" and glued them down to foamcore boards. If you dont have the "map packs", you should definitely look into them.

buddhafrog

First Post
I have a couple of the map packs (GameMastery Map Pack: Lairs is excellent), but I take my maps with me when I DM so gluing them to foamcore doesn't work well for me. In general I've avoided most of these Map Packs b/c they are real tough to keep together in-play.

Random Axe

Explorer

Holy Score, Batman.

I assume when I go to Paizo.com to buy this set, it arrives as a PDF download? I want to jump on this ASAP.

buddhafrog

First Post
Holy Score, Batman.

I assume when I go to Paizo.com to buy this set, it arrives as a PDF download? I want to jump on this ASAP.

Don't know and I wonder if that sale would still be happening. But I bought this actual map box set for $6, which is almost free - and it comes with three thicker than standard double-sided maps.

T-Bone

First Post
Holy Score, Batman.

It was not for the PDF. it is the physical, printed product. The sale is over, but you can still get it for $5.00, which is a bargain. I was about to buy a used one on amazon for $9.00 plus shipping before I noticed it on paizo.com

Remove ads