Review of IDW’s Dungeons & Dragons Comic (Issue #1)

Neuroglyph

First Post
Review of IDW’s Dungeons & Dragons Comic (Issue #1)

On the bright side, they’re orphan zombies… so nobody’s gonna miss ‘em.

It’s hard not to be a little exhilarated by a comic book which opens with such a grimly-humorous line on the first page, but that’s just a taste of Issue #1 of the new Dungeons & Dragons Comic. As with previous editions, D&D 4E has inspired a new line of Dungeons & Dragons comics, which is being produced by IDW Publishing, who has brought forth notable comic series such as Doctor Who, G.I. Joe, Star Trek, and Transformers.

However, this new series differs somewhat from previous comics inspired by older editions such as the DC Comic’s Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance (AD&D /2nd Edition), and KenzerCo’sTempest’s Gate (3rd Edition). These earlier comic series drew upon well-established D&D settings, notably Oerth of the World of Greyhawk setting, Toril (and beyond) in the Forgotten Realms and Spelljammer settings, and Krynn from Dragonlance . But IDW’s new comic series is being set in the D&D Core World, a world setting which has yet to be fully released, and is only familiar to 4E gamers using the Nentir Vale content in the Dungeon Masters Guide.

So just how good can a D&D comic book be from only a partially completed world setting?

IDW’s Dungeons & Dragons Comic - Issue #1

• Writer: John Rogers
  • Artist: Andrea DiVito
  • Cover Illustrator: Tyler Walpoole (Cover A) / Wayne Reynolds (Cover B)
  • Publisher: IDW Publishing
  • Year: 2010
  • Media: Comic Book (28 pages)
  • Retail Cost: $3.99

Dungeons & Dragons Comic Issue #1 is the first comic in the new monthly D&D 4E comic book series by IDW Publishing. This comic features the first episode, entitled “Part One: Bad Day” of the Shadowplague storyline, which introduces the adventuring party called the Rumrunners. Other features of the comic include a letters to the editor, Denton J. Tipton, called Notes from the Underdark, and a D&D Essentials character sheet of main character and leader of the heroic band, Adric Fell.

Production Quality
The production quality of Dungeons & Dragons Comic Issue #1 is really very good, with some very glib and snazzy dialogue, an intriguing plotline, and fast-paced action one would expect from a comic book. The artwork really works for me, both in the portrayal of the characters, as well as in the “special effects” of their various powers – although admittedly it is a little harder to identify a combat stance than it is a wall of force!

It should also be mentioned that there are five different covers to this first issue, and so collectors may need to do some searching to find the ones they want to keep mint!

The Art
Andrea DiVito drew the exquisite panels for Dungeons & Dragons Comic Issue #1, and although he typically draws Marvel Comic book heroes, I’m sure he found his background of drawing Thor to be helpful when creating the look of the heroes. Each character is readily identifiable, not only from close-ups of their faces, but also in the styles of their clothing and their unique gear. I really enjoyed the attention to detail, such as metalwork and hairstyles, which is particularly on the dwarven character’s hammer and face.

While I am not much of an art critic, I have to say I really like the style the characters are drawn in, and it conveys a lot of action in those panels. However for a more detailed critique of the artwork, you might want to check out the Neuroglyph Games site, where Tizzbin, artist of the Passive Perceptions webcomic, has guest-blogged his own Review of Dungeons & Dragons Comic Issue #1!

[SPOILER WARNING: Reading beyond this point will reveal key story elements! You have been warned!]

The Story
The writer for Dungeons & Dragons Comic Issue #1 is John Rogers, who created the first draft of the script for the Transformers movie, and has recently created the TNT television series Leverage, so there is little doubt that the author can spin out a good yarn. There is definitely a good sense of timing and humor in the bantering dialogue between the characters, and not surprisingly, there is a bit of a feeling one could almost be watching a TV action-adventure show while reading this comic.

The story is set in the Nentir Vale, part of the still-to-be-fully-released D&D Core World, in the city of Fallcrest. We are quickly introduced to the main characters as they revel in a local bar, while signing on a new member, a wary and canny tiefling warlock named Tisha. As for the rest of the main crew of the adventuring band, you have:

• Adric Fell – a human Fighter, who also narrates the adventure
  • Khal Khalundurrin – a dwarf Paladin of Moradin
  • Varis – an elf Ranger
  • Bree Three-Hands – a Halfling Rogue
They are later assisted by a potent gnome wizard named Copernicus Jinx, and his protégé, a human named Juliana. Both Jinx and Juliana have had dealings with Adric in the past – the gnome was his commanding officer in a border war, and Juliana was Adric’s lover – but it is unclear from the first issue if they are part of Adric’s band of adventurers, or simply plot points.

It takes very little time for the action to get underway, and the heroes are thrust into a barroom battle, then arrested, then off to more battle as they try and resolve a mysterious ailment turning folks into zombies. The heroes end up dashing off to find the source of the ailment, a magical “leak” from the Shadowfell, which Jinx had been investigating and Juliana had been sent into danger to scout out the cause.

As with any beginning, whether it is the first issue of comic book or the pilot of a television show, some characters seem more developed than others. And not surprisingly, it is the leader of the adventurers, Adric, which has the bulk of the pre-story elements swirling around him.

By the time you read the final page of Dungeons & Dragons Comic Issue #1, you know that Adric:

• Leads the adventurers and gets a double share of treasure
  • May have been a pirate
  • Served in a border war under a gnome wizard
  • Is the one-time lover of Juliana the wizard’s apprentice
Comparing that to what we know of the other adventurers, it’s quite a list! For instance, all we end up knowing about the other characters is that the rogue cannot be trusted but is somehow cute about it, the tiefling is dangerous and suspected of being evil, and the elf enjoys taking snarky cheap shots at the dour dwarf. However, the dwarf has every right to be a little dour, as the story opens with him receiveing a “Dear Khal” letter from his wife back home, and she appears to be dumping him. I do suspect that the characters will continue to be developed more over the course of the comic series, but in Dungeons & Dragons Comic Issue #1 most appear a little one-dimensional and even a little cliché.

Ironically, despite Adric’s seeming abundance of backstory, I could not help but raise an eyebrow at his similarity to another mighty-thewed hero of pulp and comics – Conan! Not only does Adric possess similar physical characteristics to the famed Cimmerian – a well-muscled swordsman with long black hair – but even his past exploits have a certain familiarity to them. Conan was definitely a leader as well as a soldier (and later King), and once captained a pirate band, always seems to get the biggest share of the gold, and always seemed to be involved with the fairest damsel in the story. Sound familiar?

Personality-wise, however, Adric does not seem to have much in common with Conan's "what's in it for me?" style of swashbucking, and seems to be the "cynical heroic adventurer with a dark past" type. I certainly hope the other characters have as much potential in them as Adric appears to have.

Overall Grade: A-

Conclusions
Despite a little bit of cliché, Dungeons & Dragons Comic Issue #1 is still a darned good comic book to read. The writing was fun to read, and told a good tale, and I thoroughly enjoyed the way the artist portrayed these D&D characters. And as I was engaged by the storyline, and grew to like the characters well enough in the first issue, I’m definitely want to find out how they get on in the next issue.

And isn’t that just what any reader want from a good comic book?

So until next review… I wish you Happy Gaming!

Attachments

• dnd comic cover reynolds.jpg
    dnd comic cover reynolds.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 59,826

Klaus

First Post
A couple of corrections: the group, "Fell's Five", also includes a tiefling warlock, and Juliana is an eladrin.

DarkTouch

First Post
I actually found that the cliche of it helped. At least for the first issue. If I'm reading a comic about a D&D party, I want them to feel like a D&D Party. Adric could have been Redgar, Bree could have been Lidda, etc. Adding the Tiefling in #0 and the beginning of #1 was a nice touch to bring in the 4e elements.

Neuroglyph

First Post
A couple of corrections: the group, "Fell's Five", also includes a tiefling warlock, and Juliana is an eladrin.

Interesting. Was that information in the Issue 0 comic book? Just wondering, because I don't think I ever saw the words Fell's Five anywhere in Issue 1.

GameDoc

Explorer
I enjoyed the issue. I missed the #0 preview and have ordered a copy.

I only noticed two things:

1) It appears the characters are "Essentials" style characters. However, the warlock appears to be a standard PHB warlock as opposed to a hexblade.

2) The part lacks a member of one of the leader-role classes.

Neither of these made me enjoy the comic less. I have been steeping myself in the new essentials line in prep for a new campaign and these things just stood out to me.

Neuroglyph

First Post
They might be using the Protection build for Khal - paladins are kinda leader-ish in their defender-ness. Lay on Hands is fairly potent, and there is something dramatic about a character sacrificing his own "life force" (healing surges) to help a dying comrade.

But I definitely would have loved to see a Tac-lord in the mix. Of all the Leaders, I really find the class utterly fascinating.

gribble

Explorer
But I definitely would have loved to see a Tac-lord in the mix. Of all the Leaders, I really find the class utterly fascinating.
Yeah, may it's just my D&D OCD kicking in, but I would have rather seen a party with a paladin (divine defender) have a warlord leader than a fighter. Seems like a much better balanced party, and for the sake of the story in the comic there's probably very little difference between a fighter and a warlord character.

I'll just explain it away when I read it with the assumption that he has the warlord MC feat...
:)

Remove ads