[Rite Publishing] The Ruins Perilous

Wicht

Hero
I am pleased to announce a new Rite Publishing project.

The Ruins Perilous!

As conceived, The Ruins Perilous is a Pathfinder RPG mega-dungeon with old school sensibilities: one level of dungeon for every character level. Each room of the dungeon, when completed, will have its own battle map (for printing or for use with Map Tools), its own creature counter for use on the battle map, and a full write-up. Each room will contain a non-core encounter; meaning a monster you can't just pluck out of the Pathfinder Bestiary. Some of these will be older OGL monsters updated to the Pathfinder ruleset. Some of these will be templated monsters. Some of these will be monsters with character levels and some of these will be completely new monsters. Likewise, expect new traps, treasures, poisons, haunts and dangers as the dungeon unfolds.

Each room, as it is released, will be released as a FREE PDF with an image of the map and the text for the room. When a full level of the Dungeon is completed, it will all be compiled together. Even now the first room of the dungeon is ready to go.

There is a catch. Steve Russell, publisher extraordinaire of Rite Publishing, refuses to pay to have the second room of dungeon mapped, illustrated and edited until he recoups his costs from the first room. Thus he is holding it for ransom and the project can't go forward without your help.

Any amount you could chip in would be appreciated. If you can only give a single dollar towards the goal, it would be a great service. If you can chip in at least $3 though, we can give you some perks. These perks include:

- The exterior image or side view of the room;
- The monster token;
- The high resolution JPEG of the map (with and without grids),
- The PDF of the Map Pack so you can print out your maps at home to scale (in full color or grey scale)

Thus, while the general PDF of the room is free, the tokens and print-worthy battle-map are going to be reserved for those who make publishing the rooms possible. If anyone wants to chip in $50 or $100 or $150 dollars for a room, let us know and we can sweeten the pot for you. We have 60 days to hit our first goal, but we would really like to crank out these rooms at least once a week.

You can head to Rite Publishing: Ruins Perilous to read more and after you have done that you can head over to our Ruins Perilous site to see what we have begun to put together in anticipation of success in meeting our ransom goals.

Room design is being done by myself (Jonathan McAnulty; Coliseum Morpheuon, #30 Unique Blades, Ecology of the Giant Ant, etc.) and T.H Gulliver (Pathfinder Superstar Semi-Finalist; In the Company of Gargoyles, Evocative City Sites)
Mapping and Room Illustrations are being done by the renowned Jonathan Roberts (Coliseum Morpheuon, From the Shore to the Sea, Tales of the Old Margreve, etc.)
Creature Tokens are being made by James "Devin Night" Hazlett.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I love megadungeons, but I'm a bit skeptical on this one.

WotC tried something similar (releasing one room at a time) with Undermountian several years ago. They got through a handful of rooms and then the project was abandoned.

I don't think I'd like to participate only to have the thing cancelled after a short while because the next room isn't paid for.

I love the idea of all the features proposed, though.

Wicht

Hero
One advantage here is that each room is going to be a fully self-contained encounter, with its own statted creature. So if funding dries up, the product produced is still going to be usable. But we do need at least 50 dedicated supporters.

For those considering supporting and weighing the value, consider that at at the end of the level you will have:
- 18 printable battle maps also suitable for electronic use.
- 18 full color monster tokens, suitable for printing or electronic use
- At least 18 fully stated creatures, suitable for use in the Ruins Perilous or elsewhere.
- A set of encounters, rooms and traps which will provide suitable for advancing a party of 4-5 PCs up a level.
- Illustrations of every room or site.

Let me say as well that though Trevor and I have brainstormed up a nice little skeleton of a setting to work from, we will most certainly listen to contributors as to what they would like to see.

Wicht

Hero
We are over halfway to the release of the free portion of area 1 of Ruins Perilous!

There have been some changes to the way we are releasing this and we want to share these with you. Namely, those who contribute to the ransom do not have to wait to recieve the full release (maps, counters, and description). Moreover you can now make your contribution by purchasing the full room at either Paizo or DrivethruRPG http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=86452.

Also there are interviews available at Ritepublishing.com, two of them to be exact: Interview 1 and Interview 2http://ritepublishing.com/home.php?s=interview-with-jonathan-mcanulty-and-t-h-gulliver-part-2

We encourage you to read the interviews and purchase Area 1: The Ruined Guardhouse!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases