Evocative City Sites: Clockwork Tower

Dark Mistress

First Post
Evocative City Sites: Clockwork Tower by Rite Publishing.

This product is 41 pages long. It starts with a cover, and credits. (2 pages)

Introduction (7 pages)
This section like all of the Evocative City Sites is done from a IC point of view. Which I find nice and often interesting to read. This talks about the tower and those things inside the tower. There was also 4 maps that each take up half a page of the levels of the tower. 7 side bars about the effects of the tower, including 2 random charts which where very cool, the rest deal with varies secrets of the tower. Finally it has 6 plot hooks to get the PC's involved.

NPC's (5 pages)
Here is 4 fully stated out NPC/Monsters inside the tower. Each has full stat blocks.

Next is a OGL (1 page)

Followed by 24 pages of maps blown up to be printed and used as miniature maps. There is also a zip file that includes another set of such maps in I believe A4 format. (24 pages)

It ends with 2 pages of ads. (2 pages)

Closing thoughts. The layout and editing was well done. While a couple of the parts I found confusing to understand in the IC section. That is because the NPC is reading a letter he wrote to himself that he doesn't remember writing. Yeah confusing I know but also very cool with whats going on with the tower. The artwork is fair to good, a mix of new art and public domain art.

This is a very inventive location and idea. I actually really love the idea, but because of what it is, I find it hard to review. I don't want to spoil things, but by not spoiling them leaves me unable to talk about a lot of the book, beyond expressing opinions which I dislike doing. But with out having a choice, I can save I love this book. This is something I can see using and my players having a lot of fun exploring.

Now there is one critic I have with the product. There is something wrong with the clock tower mechanical devices that is causing it to not work right. In the book it talks about how the PC's can fix the devices and make it start working correctly. Which makes sense, unfortunately it doesn't give you any advice on how to help run things if your PC's do that. Because if they, it will have a pretty dramatic effect on things and the varies stories going on.

Now I am not asking for a in depth information but a nice blurb by the author saying. I can't cover every possible thing that might happen, but if I ran it then I think this would happen. Followed by a few suggestions. Maybe a half page of such would have really helped. So whats my rating? Well I really liked this product, but a GM honestly needs to do some work and decided what would happen if the PC's fix the device before hand, before they run it. Or it could leave the GM caught flat footed. So because I feel it does need some extra work to use this very good product I just can't give it the 5 star I want and have to settle with giving it a 4 star.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases