Help with a group of unusual individuals

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I had (many moons ago) a plot thing going on wherein the party had to help a group of...unusual refugees...I think they were defined at the time as being "extradimensional" beings that had all through some kind of mishap (created by the BBEG of the campaign).

At the time, I think I had something like 15 or 20 of them. But I can't really recall right now.

Most were sentient beings, but since it was the party's job to rescue them and get them home, I was very limited with any "powers" they might have to help in a combat. Still, they each had some unusual power or property...

The only ones I recall now are a robed shapely female who's face they never saw from the deep shadows of her hood who was their de facto leader, called "The Voiceless One"...who, was actually the only one who could speak, albeit telepathically (her mouth never opened).

There was also a little jade colored foo dog/lion type thing, that would run around characters' feet in circles and mirror images of him would trail off behind him.

There was a total rip off of the "horse of a different color" from the Wizard of Oz...think I made it an antelope or a stag or something.

SO, anyway, things like that...Throw me some weird creatures or individuals that have some kind of unique/unusual appearance.

Thanks.
--Steel Dragons

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It sounds like you're looking for weirder than Justin Bieberlith, David Lee Rothé, and Chad Ochokenku...

How about sentient superlong metallic wire that knots & coils itself into various shapes mimicking the sentient beings around it. It makes noise by vibrating itself, so it's speaking voice sounds like a guitar played with a vocoder (see Peter Frampton's "Do you feel like I do?").

Clive Barker had something called a Nulliniac, which as I recall was described as a hulking humanoid with a head shaped like a pair if hands cupped together in prayer, with the eyes on the "thumbs." However, when the Nulliniac gets angry, the "hands" spread wide and electricity sparks between the "fingers."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How about an air-breathing 3' tall cnidarian (sea anemone) with rainbow hues...it has weak eyes on stalks interspersed with it's feeding tentacles- you know, the ones with toxic stingers. It moves by levitating a few inches off the ground and pushing with stumpy little protrusions that also serve to anchor it in place when it is standing still. It communicates via sign language.

jbear

First Post
or perhaps a being that seems little more than a finger with a receding hairline and a pot belly. The finger does , however, point to anything it finds arousing!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
These are all cool. Just the sort of thing(s) I was looking for. I especially like the coil/wire creature and anemone!

(Though "David Lee Rothe" might just have to make an appearance. lol.)

Keep 'em coming.
Thanks.
--SD

On Puget Sound

First Post
A sentient magnetic field. Very hard to see, were it not for the random metallic detritus that adheres to it. (Rolled up in Gamma World with the new Far-Go expansion: ectoplasmic + magnetic origins).

A former god who has lost almost all of his power due to a lack of worshippers. Only the most weak-willed or desperate of creatures can sense his divinity, but if they call out to him in their moment of greatest need, he gains, for an instant, just enough power to save them... though not always in the most direct or convenient way. He is followed around by a random assortment of beings who are weak in some way - junkies and drunks, cowards and bullies, con artists and their marks. Each is someone he saved once, and who now believes in him.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The fallen god reminds me of Terry Pratchett's plot from Small Gods...sort of. The god in that story is down to one true believer, and he's actually a nice sort of person.

As for the magnetic field...someone's reading my mind!

Last edited:

Heathen72

Explorer
Weird stuff, eh?

If these were truly extradimensional beings, they could all interact with our reality in utterly different ways. I would suggest thinking of the myriad things that make your reality what it is, and break the rules. In the right circumstances each being might very powerful, but generally they would be quite limited.

Given you have asked for a set of individual beings, I'll start with breaking the rule of what it is to be an 'individual':

Gurath is a a gestalt being made of a hundred selves, each self sharing the knowledge of the others, psychically, simultaneously. However, each of the parts scattered across the world, with each individual in the form of a small worm or slug, with no physical power of it's own.

Who knows what might happen if they were brought together, but it's unlikely to happen as each 'individual' is terrified by it's own vulnerability. Most of them are hidden well away from harm in their corner of the world. One hides in the roots of a tropical mangrove mudflats, another in the belly of an Narhwale. Another lives in the sewers of a goblin citadel, yet another is trapped sleeping at the bottom of a the bottle of tequila!

There is always one, though, which communicates with the world. Perhaps when one 'speaker' dies, one of the hidden worms emerges to meet with civilisation becoming, say, the 'familiar' of a mage, friend to a young child or adviser to a king.

In some areas, the knowledge of this creature could be vast, but in others it would also be very limited!

Though the hidden ones don't usually make themselves know, Once you had befriended the 'speaker' you might meet Gurath again, somewhere far away, when you least expect it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases