[Star Wars] Somebody bought the license

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
See RPG.net thread here.

The short version: Mongoose made a bid for it and lost to somebody else. They do not want to say who, but it seems that the deal is finished.

I wonder who had the money to buy all those licenses (RPG, minis etc.). I hope it's not Paizo - they are an awesome company but we do not need another d20 iteration. And i don't think they are going to create a whole new system.

I'm hoping for FFG, Green Ronin or Cubicle 7, myself.

Cyronax

Explorer
SAGA was such a good system. Is there a chance WotC re-purchased the license, possibly having re-negotiated it?

C.I.D.

kitsune9

Adventurer
My bet would be FFG if I had to make a guess, but I wouldn't be suprised if Paizo got it. It's kind of a process of elimination of who's got the money to buy the license.

For me, my favorite Star Wars was d6. I do have the SAGA version and had the other d20 version, but couldn't get into them. I'm not saying they are bad, but just not for me. If FFG gets the license, then I would be very interested in what kind of system they create to get that "Star Wars feel".

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Now that i think back... haven't the Paizo guys repeatedly said that they didn't want to work on licensed properties anymore? As in, generate content and art without being able to keep it? If they haven't changed their opinion on this, they are out.

Huh, i don't think they have the manpower, but what about Red Brick? Earthdawn, FAding Suns, now Star Wars... nah, too small. :(

abhorsen950

First Post
Interesting! Very interesting, I honestly thought it would die in the water once Wotc dropped it, I didn't think anybody would want to put the money forward to buy up the licence for it and get making it.

I would love to see as not a D20 system I want to play a system that isn't D20.

We will soon see.

delericho

Legend
If I were in charge at WotC, then at the first hint of interest, I would probably buy back that license, if only to prevent anyone else from getting it.

On a personal level, I'm just not interested in any new Star Wars RPG. We've now had six versions across two entirely different systems, with a number of fan conversions to other systems out there as well. I really don't know what more can be done for the universe, RPG-wise.

Remove ads