[Star Wars] Somebody bought the license

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...Paizo (I'm not aware of any mini line that they have)...

They don't have a mini-line that they make themselves, but they do license Pathfinder miniatures through Reaper. So not known for minis, but capable of producing a minis line? Hmmmmmm...:hmm:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I seriously doubt I will buy the books this time around. A new edition of Starwars every 4 years is a bit excessive (especially if you include the misc. Mini based starwars games into the edition count). Unless the new license holder managed to purchase it for more then 5 years, there is little reason for me to buy it since I know the next license holder will only end up recreating the proverbial wheel because they will not be able to incrementing the rules unless if the system was ogl.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
If Wizards made Saga OGL then that would be great, as there are a few "holes" in the EU that are not filled in. If one wants to run a NJO era game, for example, you need a combination of the Legacy book, converting the Revised rules and quite a bit of homebrew.

As for canon, well...Wizards never really had any respect for it and the old d6 created the EU. I always hover between big events and undocumented ones and I am happy.

Stormonu

Legend
I haven't seen anything that excludes Margeret Weis Productions; they already do have several TV properties and could pick up for the Clone Wars aspect.

Katana_Geldar

First Post
If it was an all-Clone Wars game.... *shudders*

The Clone Wars book was a good one! Why overwrite it? I use some of the mass combat rules for that for 4th ed.

Banshee16

First Post
I'm thinking Green Ronin. They've got A Song of Ice and Fire, Thieves World, Black Company, and Dragon Age. They always seem to pop up with interesting licenses, and they're not known for their miniatures.....and they have some non-D20 rules systems as well.

Banshee

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Some of my comments:

1) Its NOT FREAKING "SAGA" edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Its "Saga" edition. SAGA (spelled in all caps) was the card based RPG that TSR designed for Dragonlance 5th Age and then later used for the Marvel Super Heroes RPG. I hate to be an RPG snob and go all geek aggro, but get it right people! ;)

2) I have played all editions of the SW RPG and own a vast WEG collection of books, along with ALL books for all the WotC versions, and the Saga edition version was on par with the WEG version. I had my rules quibbles here and there, but I did with the WEG version too. But in terms of production value, art, and content, the WotC SW Saga books were exceptional. Rodney Thompson did a fantastic job of managing the line.

3) I really would like to see FFG get the license. I think they could do it justice and put out some tie-in board games or something that could double as mini games that work in tandem with the core RPG but also standalone and be fun to play in their own right. Like a SW boardgame to handle massive starship battles complete wth tons of minis and tokens and stuff. As far as system goes, I would prefer a d20 oriented system, though not necessarily with levels or classes or anything. But I'll reserve judgement.

And for the love of god, please lots of support for the Old Republic era. I despise the prequels utterly. And no "collectible" anything. I hate collectible games.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm guessing George Lucas bought it himself through a straw man so he can re-release it in a Deluxe Platinum Collector's Edition Ruleset, featuring a common fluff set but with mechanics for ALL versions if the game...but jazzed up with his own visionary re-imaginings of certain rules to make each version awesomer than EVAR!

I've thought for a while that Eden Studios would do a good Star Wars game. The understanding of genre that they bought to the Buffy RPG shows that they just get it in a way that SWd20 (which was the last edition I saw, and which browned me off so badly I never even looked at Sage) just didn't.

Buffy made it so that, in general, playing a character in a Buffy-like way was a mechanically plausible, and indeed optimal, choice. And the Hero/White Hat way of going about things would work for Jed/non Jedi too.

I have no idea whether Eden is even around these days any more, but I DO think they'd do SW well if they got the chance...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases