[Star Wars] Somebody bought the license

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'd love to see Chaosium with the license, and a good set of BRP based rules for Star Wars.

Don't imagine it would happen, but that's what I'd like to see!

JeffB

Legend
I'd certainly trust Chaosium with the writing part- they've always done a bang up job with anythng related to plot, story, adventure, etc, without beating one over the head with uninteresting, or useless minutiae.

And I'd be happier than a pig in you know what with BRP if they would be leaning towards the CoC side of rules economy (as opposed to say, RQ3)

But they don't seem to me to have the resources to get a decent amount of product out. They are pretty thin I believe these days for employees, no?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Did someone at Chaosium win the lottery?

Palladium... I believe digging up the dead without a proper warrent is highly illegal...

Wingsandsword makes a decent point, the last SW edition is still to fresh in our minds, distributors and in turn the retailers are now dumping the old stuff. So I expect that for RPG and RPG miniatures the market will be seriously flooded in 2011, add to that that a lot of publishers say that RPG is currently in a downward spiral, I doubt we'll see a SW RPG in the comming year or two. Miniatures maybe, the collectible component of the WotC SW miniatures made it difficult to aquire decent amounts of troops, you had a surplus of special and unique characters that in most miniature games wouldn't be very usefull. High quality plastic (unpainted/unassembled) multipart SW miniatures would find a market even at GW prices (and quality). But now there is a market for SW boardgames and cardgames. Maybe even a board/miniatures game like Dust. Maybe a RPG/boardgame hybrid like Descent...

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
If it was FFG that got the Star Wars license, would it be smart for them for do another board/RPG combo like Warhammer 3e?

That's certainly a possibility. I'm believe that GW owns the custom dice mechanic from WFRP, but the basic notion could be used. The WFRP box set is pretty expensive though ... I wonder if they would make another RPG SKU in that range? Then again, the core books for their traditional RPGs ain't cheap either.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Who ever has the license now, I hope they put out some system-neutral game aids. I have all of the Saga edition books (a game I've never played, I just have because some of my friends play it) and a sizable collection of the D6 books (my preferred edition). I don't really need a new edition of a Star Wars RPG. It's not like either of the games I have are so broken with rules bloat that they feel old and tired (the way AD&D 2nd edition could by the time 3E came out). So much of what makes a Star Wars game feel like Star Wars is system-neutral, you can run an awesome Star Wars game using half-a-dozen systems.

To-scale starship miniature would be pretty awesome though, though it would be challenging since capital ships are SO much larger than fighters and freighters. Hopefully, who ever puts out the next miniatures line won't randomize them. I have way too many minis I'll never use, and still not enough Stormtroopers.

Hawke

Explorer
If it was FFG that got the Star Wars license, would it be smart for them for do another board/RPG combo like Warhammer 3e?

I think that would be the best bet - seems to be the future of bigger RPGs. The SW name would make it an easy gift, too, especially if they could get it into bigger stores like the red box was able to do. Can't you see Grandma seeing some starwars box, picking it up, seeing cards maybe some cardboard tokens or a "sample" full miniature and putting it in the box for her grandson? Sure, they're pricy, but I think you could do a lot with it.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Any noise from Palladium?

(ducks)

Palladium... I believe digging up the dead without a proper warrent is highly illegal...
You guys just wait until the RIFTS movie is made and it is full of awesome borgian sword-swingers and techno-wizards flinging around radioactive poop. It will be like The Matrix meets Brain Candy plus Every Bad Sci-Fi/Fantasy movie from the '80's. With a soundtrack by Asia. Starring Nicolas Cage = Number one at the box office for ten months!
headbang.gif

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases