Interesting dilema with alignment.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Interesting dilema with alignment.

Could someone pull a sword or knife on someone and still be considered good? For example, you are at a bar. You know the guy next to you knows something, but is not telling you what. When he throws his head back drinking, you pull a dagger, point it to his neck, and say "start talking." Would a good player do this?
    "When one of your NPC's/PC's begin to speak Latin, Tungs, or any other language he/she does not know, kill him/her to save you and your group further problems."-Tip #39 on how to live more then a week in Ravenloft.

Depends... does the player actualy intend to carry through with it?

Threats are one thing, actions are another.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Blog Entries

Ignore Crothian
    I dooubt it would be considered evil, but it could severely hurt their reputaion.

Say it was only a threat. but the guy didn't talk, so he put the dagger through the guys hand. Also, let's say that they wanted info on where a band of bad people were keeping his wife.
    Last edited by SonOfLilith; Friday, 8th February, 2002 at 12:35 AM.
    "When one of your NPC's/PC's begin to speak Latin, Tungs, or any other language he/she does not know, kill him/her to save you and your group further problems."-Tip #39 on how to live more then a week in Ravenloft.

No, not good.

That's torture. A good character should _never_ torture... Perhaps under _EXTREME_ (read, many many lives at stake) a good could... but it would be a case-by-case basis, not often ok, and would still count towards an alignment change (Anything else for a month or so afterwords, bang) even in that case.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore SableWyvern
    Good guys explicitly can't torture?

Maybe not in your campaign, but I can't see that as an absolute.

It may not be lawful in a lot of circumstances (ie, in circumstances where the torturer does not have legal permission to do so), but whether or not it is evil depends very much on context and campaign style.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Scarab
    I'd say that's typical Wulf Ratbane behaviour (Hey, Wulf! You're famous when people start to use you as an example!). Though the debate still rages on whether Wulf is CN or CG.
    By the edge of those wilds warriors had charged
    But now the year and the generals were gone
    And the grass grew in the armors hollow on the hills.

-- The Graymere Annals, 3704 CE

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore MythandLore

Re: Interesting dilema with alignment.

Originally posted by SonOfLilith
    Could someone pull a sword or knife on someone and still be considered good? For example, you are at a bar. You know the guy next to you knows something, but is not telling you what. When he throws his head back drinking, you pull a dagger, point it to his neck, and say "start talking." Would a good player do this?
    Depends on where you draw the line, you could just use your fist and do the same thing, is that evil?
    I play LG characters a lot, I find the best thing to do is provoke a violent action from your adversary if you have too, but don't just throw attacks at everything.
    You could talk to the person, and continue to bug them until you get what you want.
    Se if you can reason with them, or perhaps barter for info.
    If he tries to leave, block his path, etc, don't let him escape but don't pull a weapon at the start ether.
    But it's all depends on the situation.
    If I had to get the info fast, and I knew he was evil and had the info and not getting to info would cause terrible suffering to others, I may do more then just draw a weapon, I might go strait up to him and cut his leg off, to show I'm serious and that his not going to get away.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

On a Persian carpet on a certain Island in the South Pacific....

Ignore green slime
    Good guys do not torture people.

Not for any reason, really.

That's not saying that a person who is Lawful Good, would never, ever torture someone. Put anyone under enough duress and they'll do all sorts of wierd things.

This doesn't alter the basic fact that Torture is NOT a good act.

If you are using an absolute moral scale, you can't waffle about these things, or there is nothing differentiating good from bad apart from personal outlook.

But if you want to give your players carte blanche to come up with "reasonable" and "logical" reasons why morally reprehensible acts are just and good, feel free...

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore SableWyvern

Re: Re: Interesting dilema with alignment.

Originally posted by MythandLore

Depends on where you draw the line, you could just use your fist and do the same thing, is that evil?
    I play LG characters a lot, I find the best thing to do is provoke a violent action from your adversary if you have too, but don't just throw attacks at everything.
    You could talk to the person, and continue to bug them until you get what you want.
    Se if you can reason with them, or perhaps barter for info.
    If he tries to leave, block his path, etc, don't let him escape but don't pull a weapon at the start ether.
    But it's all depends on the situation.
    If I had to get the info fast, and I knew he was evil and had the info and not getting to info would cause terrible suffering to others, I may do more then just draw a weapon, I might go strait up to him and cut his leg off, to show I'm serious and that his not going to get away.
    Interesting moral dilema when you realise you've got the wrong guy....

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast