Obscure Ral Partha D&D Minis Question/Request

Remathilis

Legend
Ok, once upon a time Ral Partha produced a box called The Dungeons and Dragons Basic Hero Set. It looked like this.

10-510-box.jpg

The mini's in it included:
Rp-10-510-bob.jpg

My Question is: In this box set there was an insert that had the stats for Rakasta in it (for Basic D&D, as a character class). Can someone who owns this box set provide me with the info on it (or even a scan of it, if possible?)

Its a shot in the dark, but I'm interested.

Remathilis

Legend
That's what I thought, though my memory of that little orange card is hazy (and the card disappeared decades ago) I thought they might have gone father than 5th level.

If the card does go higher, let me know. If not, thanks for the help. :)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Never owned it myself, and that seems to be as far as my Google-fu goes. Searching with the level titles gets me that thread and japanese dictionaries. :p

havard

Adventurer
That's what I thought, though my memory of that little orange card is hazy (and the card disappeared decades ago) I thought they might have gone father than 5th level.

If the card does go higher, let me know. If not, thanks for the help. :)

I should have it, somewhere. If I find it, I will post here. However, I don't think it went beyond 5th level. There were rules for higher level BECMI Rakasta in an instalment of Voyage of the Princess Ark in Dragon Magazine though.

I think in both cases they were based on the system provided to calculate XPs for Humanoids in Orcs of Thar.

-Havard

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
This is going back a loooong time, prolly as far as these mini's if not further...

But weren't there stats for Rakasta in the original Isle of Dread? (Or were those Tabaxi? S'been a few decades.)

They were probably presented for use as "monsters" but maybe there's some info there that you could extrapolate for a PC.

Just a thought.
--Steel Dragons

havard

Adventurer
This is going back a loooong time, prolly as far as these mini's if not further...

But weren't there stats for Rakasta in the original Isle of Dread? (Or were those Tabaxi? S'been a few decades.)

They were probably presented for use as "monsters" but maybe there's some info there that you could extrapolate for a PC.

Monster stats for Rakasta in the original Isle of Dread yeah. I believe that was their first appearance :) They also later appeared in AC9 Creature Catalogue and its revised version.

BTW: PC stats for Rakasta and Lupin appeared in Dragon #181. It is different than in the miniatures set though. In the Dragon magazine version they take human classes, but gain some extra abilities at the cost of an XP penalty

-Havard

Remathilis

Legend
Monster stats for Rakasta in the original Isle of Dread yeah. I believe that was their first appearance :) They also later appeared in AC9 Creature Catalogue and its revised version.

BTW: PC stats for Rakasta and Lupin appeared in Dragon #181. It is different than in the miniatures set though. In the Dragon magazine version they take human classes, but gain some extra abilities at the cost of an XP penalty

-Havard

Hey Havard, I'm a GIANT fan of your work on Thunder Rift (my original game was set in TR, using the Haunted Tower box set. Fun times).

I've seen the Rakasta/Lupin stuff from the Champions box set (the Princess Ark material) which sound similar to the Dragon Material. I wasn't a fan of the idea of them taking human classes (mostly because if they could, why couldn't elves, dwarves, etc) and I have Rage of the Rakasta (which gave us the 5-level oriental rakasta class). I recalled the original rakasta stats in that box set, but the card has been missing for years. I couldn't recall if they went further than 5th level on the card or not (for some reason, 8th sticks out in my head, I don't know why). Its very likely they only went to 5th as well.

BTW: I still have all of those minis. They're well loved (some of the swords and wands are broken/bent) and now retired into my curio cabinet (along with my other Ral Parthas) but they got used quite a bit back in the day.

havard

Adventurer
Hey Havard, I'm a GIANT fan of your work on Thunder Rift (my original game was set in TR, using the Haunted Tower box set. Fun times).

Thanks! :)
The Thunder Rift project continues over here!

I've seen the Rakasta/Lupin stuff from the Champions box set (the Princess Ark material) which sound similar to the Dragon Material. I wasn't a fan of the idea of them taking human classes (mostly because if they could, why couldn't elves, dwarves, etc) and I have Rage of the Rakasta (which gave us the 5-level oriental rakasta class). I recalled the original rakasta stats in that box set, but the card has been missing for years. I couldn't recall if they went further than 5th level on the card or not (for some reason, 8th sticks out in my head, I don't know why). Its very likely they only went to 5th as well.

I see what you mean. Interestingly the 3E conversion in Dragon went in a similar direction to the Princess Ark variant, giving these races "any" as favored class just like humans.

BTW: I still have all of those minis. They're well loved (some of the swords and wands are broken/bent) and now retired into my curio cabinet (along with my other Ral Parthas) but they got used quite a bit back in the day.

Yeah, me too. I repainted them a few years ago because the original paint job was horrible (also done by me). I only wish I had bought the monster box as well...

-Havard

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases