Assassin shroud damage

xopher

Explorer
Apologies if this has been discussed to death somewhere, but I've tried searching and haven't found a clear answer.

Let's say I'm an Assassin. I have four shrouds on my target and I cast Targeted for Death on my target, invoking all my shards. Targeted for Death does 3d8+Dex cold damage on a hit and half damage on a miss.

If I get a critical, I do max damage on the 3d8 and the 4d6 from the shards, so I do 48 + Dex, correct?

If I miss... is it (3d8 + 3d6 + Dex) / 2 damage? That seems like the wrong answer, since if I missed with a basic attack I'd still get the full 3d6... It seems like it wants to be (3d8 + Dex) / 2 + 3d6, but I can't find a justification for that in the rules.

I could almost read the Assassin's Shroud text as treating the shroud damage not as "extra damage" (like Hunter's Quarry), but rather as a separate source of damage that happens to be keyed to a subsequent attack, in which case you could come to the conclusion above. A possible justification for assuming that shroud damage isn't "extra damage" would be the glossary entry that says that an attack that deals no damage can't deal extra damage.

Bonus question... since Targeted for Death deals cold damage, is the shroud damage also considered cold damage? I presume so... How then would this interact with Resist/Vulnerable to cold? Half-damage rules say you apply vunerability/resistance before doing the halving... that's straightforward if the whole damage enchelada is halved, but stranger if you assume the shard damage isn't...

Extra bonus question: If you were Weakened, would it then be ((3d8 + Dex) / 2 + 3d6) / 2?

Droogie128

First Post
Apologies if this has been discussed to death somewhere, but I've tried searching and haven't found a clear answer.

Let's say I'm an Assassin. I have four shrouds on my target and I cast Targeted for Death on my target, invoking all my shards. Targeted for Death does 3d8+Dex cold damage on a hit and half damage on a miss.

If I get a critical, I do max damage on the 3d8 and the 4d6 from the shards, so I do 48 + Dex, correct?

If I miss... is it (3d8 + 3d6 + Dex) / 2 damage? That seems like the wrong answer, since if I missed with a basic attack I'd still get the full 3d6... It seems like it wants to be (3d8 + Dex) / 2 + 3d6, but I can't find a justification for that in the rules.

I could almost read the Assassin's Shroud text as treating the shroud damage not as "extra damage" (like Hunter's Quarry), but rather as a separate source of damage that happens to be keyed to a subsequent attack, in which case you could come to the conclusion above. A possible justification for assuming that shroud damage isn't "extra damage" would be the glossary entry that says that an attack that deals no damage can't deal extra damage.

Bonus question... since Targeted for Death deals cold damage, is the shroud damage also considered cold damage? I presume so... How then would this interact with Resist/Vulnerable to cold? Half-damage rules say you apply vunerability/resistance before doing the halving... that's straightforward if the whole damage enchelada is halved, but stranger if you assume the shard damage isn't...

Extra bonus question: If you were Weakened, would it then be ((3d8 + Dex) / 2 + 3d6) / 2?

Mike Mearls already clarified that Shrouds are considered extra damage and are maxed on a crit. He clarified that on this very board after the class was released.

Remove ads