[Spes Magna Games] It's a New Quid Novi? Year

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Felix sit annus novus!

Issue I of Volume II of Quid Novi? is in the works. Features so far include reader-submitted magical masks and a dragonbreath white kobold admixer. Sign up before Saturday evening, 8 January, and you too can receive this free, twice-monthly e-letter.

"But, Mark, how do I sign up?" you ask.

Good question. Click on this link and fill out the e-form.

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
A preview of some of Quid Novi? I, Vol. II. First up, one of the featured magical masks:

Mask of Masks
Aura faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Slot head; Price 500 gp; Weight --

This mask looks like a typical party mask, but when worn has a curious effect. If anyone other than the wearer removes the mask, another party mask -- slightly different in appearance -- is found beneath the one removed. This repeats each time someone other than the mask's wearer removes the mask. The additional masks do not exist until the topmost mask is removed, and the removed masks fade away to nothingness 1d4 rounds after their removal. Stories say that first mask of masks was created by a famous magician for a humorous stage routine involving audience volunteers attempting to remove his mask.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, prestidigitation; Cost 250 gp.

Next up, two of the recommended reading recommendations:

Adventure Template by Erin D. Smale
I'm often too lazy for my own good, and so I appreciate tools that make it appear as if I've put more work into things than I really have. Adventure templates can accomplish this goal. Erin has a downloadable adventure template over at the Welsh Piper that's worth a look. Erin explains, "Use one template for each locale in a given scenario: a forest, a swamp, a tower, a ship, a village, or (of course) a dungeon level. String multiple templates together to form a larger adventure or a series of related scenarios. You can even use the template to organise your notes about non-adventuring locales, like the PCs’ homebase town, a city quarter, or a frontier stronghold."

Best GM Tips of 2010
Johnn Four's great Roleplaying Tips e-zine started summing up the best game master tips of 2010. Part 1 is at the link above. Yours truly is number 18 of the first 20 to be featured. Other great tips come from the likes of Monte Cook, Hannah Lipsky, and Johnn himself.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The first Quid Novi? of 2011 hit inboxes a little after midnight this morning. If you're not signed up for this e-letter, here's a list of what you missed:

* Five magical masks
* Kiran Drea, dragonbreath white kobold admixer 6
* A 5-room 1-shot set in the Old West conceived by my son Giant Boy
* Recommended reading for various on-line materials designed to make your game better

Another Quid Novi? surfs the Internet to subscriber inboxes on January 16.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Did you know that my Quid Novi? e-letter arrives in in-boxes about every two weeks with a brand new monster, links to gaming advice, and sometimes even a free PDF? Well, it does, and you can take a gander at some recent content over my site. If you like what you see, go ahead and subscribe. It's free and easy to do.

Did you know that I've started sponsoring a monthly monster contest over at EN World? Well, I am, and the current contest justed started in this thread.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Another Quid Novi? hits subscriber in-boxes in the wee hours of the morning this Sunday, 20 March. What's in this issue? A new monster, a new haunt, and some inspirational recommended reading to help GMs. Subscribe for free at this link. You'll not only get the upcoming issue, but also a free PDF preview of an upcoming Spes Magna project.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Well, another Quid Novi? has been e-mailed to subscribers. Here's a sample of what you missed if you've not signed up for this free, twice-monthly e-letter.

The furniture's disarray, the broken table, the scattered personal effects, including various knitting needles and mouldering yarn. This sewing room once hosted violent events. Indeed, that dark stain on the rat-chewed rug could be long-dried blood. As you move into the room, you spot a dessicated corpse curled into defensive posture behind a tattered loveseat.

The Unsightly Sewing Room was the site of a horrible murder. The victim's corpse rots behind the loveseat. This poor soul was killed by knitting needles wielded as improvised weapons. One of the needles is still lodged in the corpse's left eye socket. The unspeakable violence has combined with the victim's undying thirst for vengeance to haunt the chamber.

CR 4; XP 1,200
CE haunt (20-foot square sewing room); persistent
Caster Level 4th
Notice Perception DC 12 (faint spectral knitting needles appear in the air)
hp 18; Weakness triggered by touch; Trigger touch; Reset 1 day

Effect The haunt remains inactive so long as the contents of the sewing room remain undisturbed. Should any living creature touch the contents of the sewing room, however, the malevolent spirit manifests itself as a pair of spectral knitting needles that unerringly strike at the eyes of the offending creature. The victim must make two DC 13 Fortitude saves, using the lowest total. Failure means the victim is struck blind as if targeted by blindness/deafness modified by the Persistent Spell metamagic feat. Since the haunt is persistent, it continues to attack those in the sewing room once per round on its initiative rank until destroyed or it no longer has a target.

Destruction The haunt must be reduced to 0 hit points via positive energy. The sewing room must then be subjected to a consecrate spell, which permanently destroys the haunt.

This haunt doesn't appear in Quid Novi? alone. It is accompanied by an infernal hound as well as some recommended reading for GMs. Speaking of recommended reading, take a gander at this:

Prep-Lite Wireframe How To by DNAphil

Prep-lite master DNAphil offers his latest installment on how to construct great adventures with minimal prep time. This article looks at prep-lite NPCs. For me, it's full of win because it embraces one of my GMing rules, namely that the GM doesn't have to follow the same rules the other players do. As DNAphil explains, "[A]s a GM I do not have to create an NPC with the Character creation rules that the players used." He then gives examples of how to streamline the NPC creation process by distinguishing between what is important and what isn't.

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The next Quid Novi? heads out in the wee morning hours of 3 April. I've already started working on its contents because I need to stop procrastinating and because I want a crunchier e-letter. In addition to my regular Chance Encounter and Recommended Reading, April's first Quid Novi? will include an Awful Affliction, a Bazaar of the Bizarre, a Bump in the Night, a Treacherous Trap, and some Words of Magic.

I'd like to make about half of those regular features. Also, this evening Quid Novi subscriber Alzrius emailed me complete (and completely excellent) game stats for both emperor penguins and little penguins. That nicely takes care of the Change Encounter, and I think it might have inspired my first Treacherous Trap.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Time for another Quid Novi? teaser. Here's the fluff text for my first Awful Affliction:

The sun's rays crept over the hills and down through the trees, chasing long shadows along the way. The fighter stood up, stretching her back and arms.

"Wake up!" she said, kicking out the fire. No time for a hot breakfast. Cold trail rations would have to do.

Her fellow adventurers rose from their slumbers. The fighter noticed the rogue's waxy flesh, his pale lips. He coughed, his body shaking, and then groaned in pain.

"You look even worse today," the fighter said. "You're gonna die if you don't get cured."

The rogue smiled. "Yeah, but check out these dance moves."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The Lure of the Jade Throne, a One-Page Dungeon PDF, "ships" the same day as Quid Novi? VII. Yes, that's right, not only do you get lots of crunchy game stuff, you also get an entire, stat-free dungeon squeezed onto a single page.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Sign up now, and you won't miss out. Indeed, if you sign up now, you'll get The Lure of the Jade Throne and my sorcerer bloodline PDF In One's Blood as welcome-to-Quid Novi? presents.

Elsewhere on the Interwebz, you can find baykoks. Baykoks stalk forests. Since they favor humanoid prey, they tend to stay close to communities, especially frontier settlements. A baykok, however, seldom ventures within the confines of a community. Instead, it prefer to haunt the outskirts and near wilderness, hunting people who venture into the woods. With this free, two-page PDF, you too can recruit the baykok to hunt your gameworld. Download yours from Paizo.com or DriveThruRPG.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases