Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG from Goodman Games

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Goodman Games has put up info about their upcoming Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC) RPG:

Dungeon Crawl Classics

Highlights include:
  1. a streamlined version of 3E
  2. open playtest in mid-2011
  3. Select publishers will be offered licenses to publish supplemental material for the DCC RPG

I really enjoyed the DCC line from the d20 era, so I'll be following along to see where they go with this.

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
In 2007, weren't Paizo and Goodman Games the two biggest third-party supporters of D&D?

And in 2011, both will be actively competing with D&D.

Pretty remarkable, IMO.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I like that this isn't going to be another 3e replacement like Pathfinder, but rather (hopefully) a melding of some of the best features of 3e/d20/OGL and old school play. The streamlining appeals to me - no feats, PrCs, AoO, or grid-based movement. I'm not sold yet on going back to races as classes, but I want to see how it's done first before I decide.

I do like that they seem to be following the Paizo development model that Pathfinder had which was very successful for them. Hopefully that trend will continue and we'll see low priced PDF entry points for the core rulebooks as well.

Edit: Streamlining includes no skill points. Not sure if that's something I'm sure I like yet (if it means no skills or skill-like system at all) but again I'll have to see it in action first.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Does that mean no more 4e modules from them? I thought they did a pretty good job with them, especially compared to WotC's own efforts. (I'm looking at you Against the Giants)

Filcher

First Post
Does that mean no more 4e modules from them? I thought they did a pretty good job with them, especially compared to WotC's own efforts. (I'm looking at you Against the Giants)

I think I read that they will continue the 4e modules under another title.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Sounds potentially good on paper, but I have to ask: Was it absolutely necessary to add three more sizes of dice to the game?

It will be interesting to see how those dice will be used in the game, hopefully in a way that doesn't feel "gimmicky".

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Interesting. I find this phrasing:
It uses a Vancian magic system…if you use the term “Vancian” to mean “based on a reading of Vance’s original works,” not “what D&D does.”
especially intriguing. I'm a bit more ambivalent about all the extra dice, though.

Definitely will be keeping an eye on this!

Remove ads