Fortune cards.

caudor

Adventurer
I'm interested in these cards. I'll probably buy some.

However, I'm not afflicted with the Pokemon syndrome; I don't gotta have them all.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
As I said in the other thread, this is a product I'm sure some people will love and purchase and will happily use in their game. I will choose to continue playing without them.

I will then continue to have fun and epic battles - perhaps on a grid! - followed by equally fun and epic exploration and discovery :p

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Profit Motive? Sure, they are a company, if they don't make a profit they fold. So they have every right to make a product they think will sell. And collectable cards sell. Just not to me.

They've been doing this with 3e through the RPGA, so it's the next logical step. I like cards, I've been in games that use the old Whimsy Cards to good effect and I've played Torg before and the drama deck is awesome. What bothers me is that they will be collectable with commons and rares. It will be up to DM to make sure that there are no game breakers in a deck and as sure as anything once they make them there will be a banned card list just like with MTG, I have faith.

The old Saga system cards weren't collectable, the deck was a standard deck with each game. They were used instead of dice for random rolls with a fifth suite that spelled misfortune for the players. And they had auras which could be used for divinatory purposes if the DM was stuck during a game.

And yes WoTC started out with "The Primal Order", "Ars Magica", and "Talislanta". When they started putting out Magic The Gathering and then dumped all their RPGs people accused them of destroying roleplaying not knowing they were going to buy TSR.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hyperbole and insults are generally what separates showing disapproval with a particular edition or rules innovation with out and out edition warring.

That and taking things way to personally.

You see this, folks? This person gets it. If you take only one thing from the thread, this should be it.

Remember it as you continue discussion.

pukunui

Legend
Judging from the discussion about these over on the WotC 4e forums, it seems like their Fortune Cards are basically their version of Paizo's Plot Twist cards but without the actual plot twists ... they're essentially just random cards with purely mechanical benefits. No RP benefits whatsoever.

I find it intriguing, though, that WotC recommends you break open a new pack for each session - the idea being that this way you won't know what's in the deck before you use it. However, this also implies that you'll only ever use the cards in each pack once ... so what are you supposed to do with them after you've used them? Throw them away?

At least they're optional. They're just something you can use to enhance the game. If you don't like them, you can quite easily ignore them.

TheFindus

First Post
After some absence from these boards I return to read what I thought would be an informative post about a new WotC product.
What I find is rants again about how this is the end of the world and how WotC is just so bad for DnD, because they hate the game.
As if WotC is out to personally attack anybody. Why can people not keep this to themselves? Just like a wrinkled naked 90 year old man copulating with his 85 year old wife in the middle of the road on a busy day, these rants leads nowhere and are quite useless.
I just do not not understand this attitude, and it bothers me very very much. My initial reaction is to not come back for a while again.

To be productive though: Could these cards be used similar to a divine boon, for example? Just without usinf them as a magic item, I mean. What I am thinking about is this. The PCs have found an item very relevant to the campaign story. This item "creates" these boons. Or they are in liege (sp?) with a power that positively contributes to the PCs cause - and gives these boni. You could connect the boons to a place, too. Or even to a NPC.
You know, something that I can use as a DM for story puposes as well.

I think this is doable, it is just that the randomness would need some explanation on a story level, especially when the boon does not really contribute to an encounter (cold resistance 2 in a fire based encounter, for example). Or do these cards offer generic resistance that the DM can repackage according to the specific encounter situation?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases