Yttermayn's "Saga of the Dragon Cult" OOC 2

Leif

Adventurer
Hematology and medical oncology are two separate specialties, but for traditional reasons, in the US physicians choosing these fields most of the time train in both. (In Europe and Asia they are completely separate) So as a hematologist I see all kinds of diseases of the blood, including leukemia, lymphoma, etc, as well as anemia, clotting disorders, and bleeding problems (such as hemophilia). As an oncologist, I basically treat all sorts of cancer, including liver and kidney tumors, and of course the more common ones such as breast, colon, and lung cancer.

Glad to hear your mother in law is OK! It's a pretty small world, I did my heme/onc training in MD Anderson (lived in Houston for 6 years).

And don't worry, general medical questions are on the house! :-D
Yes, you may not recall, but we've spoken of the MD Anderson connection before. My in-laws think they hung the moon. And, another odd and somewhat eerie synchronicity: Lou grew up with me in Jonesboro, Arkansas and is now an attorney living in Houston, while you studied in Houston before returning to PR, and of course now we're all three active on ENWorld. He was a real scientist before he went to law school -- now he specializes in patent law. I had scientific aspirations, but they didn't survive my undergraduate studies, and I chose law as the fastest way to get a doctoral degree.

Whew! Thanks for going so easy on me financially! I was sweating bullets there for a second.

Thanks for the good thoughts about Mrs. Marie. She's an awesome lady, and I'm kinda partial to her pretty daughter, too. ;)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Helfdan, wit the hematology side then you will understand when i say something like my hemoglobin was 7.3 Friday. The 10 hour surgery they did on me on the 28th they did not give me any transfusion. My blood was in such good condition in the pre-op blood work and there was pretty much very little loss during the work, they saw no need for any I guess.

As for hyjack, I thought tha this is where we talk of this stuff? Or should this be in the IC using
OOC: ooc blocks?

Leif

Adventurer
Yeah, DeWar, eat a bunch of liver (beef or chicken, personally I prefer chicken) and a big steak, and you'll crank out those red blood cells in no time. And LOTS of water -- drink GALLONS of water. After I give blood, I try to always treat myself to the biggest, bloodiest hamburger I can find and a super-large soda. I've made it a point to give blood occasionally since I needed so much blood after my two car crashes. I've now given somewhere above two gallons but I'm not sure exactly how much. I am almost to the point now where I can just drive down the street where the red cross office is, hang my arm out the window, and squirt 'em a quart or two. Ok, it's not that easy, but I can donate a quart in a very short time.

And, seriously, if you're not doing so already, drinking massive amounts of water will make you feel like a totally new man after a week or so. The benefits are myriad and wondrous. Your bowels will grovel before you and thank you profusely.

Remove ads