Show me the dungeon I’ll show you the world

SethDrebitko

First Post
Show me the dungeon I’ll show you the world

[Cross posted at forum.rpg.net, and Forum.KoboldEnterprise.com]
I previously mentioned on the official MicroLite20 forum that I would like to create a semi open gaming setting designed to benefit charity. The idea would be that anyone can publish material but at least 75% of the net profit of the project must go to an approved charity. If you are interested in publishing something for the setting and do not want to use one of the charities listed then you are more than welcome to submit a request to have one put on the list for consideration.

Doctors without Borders
EWB-USA.org
Support A Child
Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation
Almost all Hindu Charities not based out of India (please submit your requests as detailed above)

While I understand that some might desire to have their own religions charities represented I don't feel comfortable representing another religions charities. I don't want to really discuss why I should or should not budge on this issue so if you don't feel comfortable with where some of the money would be going you are more than welcome to create your own campaign. That said let's get into it.

How this will work is that I toss up a name of an area within the world and people offer up 1 liners to describe things that might be found or encountered within the area. Once I have a list of 100 things I will go through and choose at least 50 of them and then fully flesh those elements out. I'll then tie them all together to describe the area of the world using them.

Now the deal is by submitting these one liners you are allowing me the right to use them in this charity based publication, but in exchange you will have access to the free pdf copy as well as 50% off the physical copy of the book. It's pretty simple so below I will give the name of the first territory, as well as a few example entries:

The Ashen Plains

Example descriptors,

1) Small crumbling towers of an ash like substance form where thin wisps of the ash slowly rise from vents in the ground.

1A) The ash is heavy and rarely blows out of the regions unless heavy windstorms pass through.

2) Deep into the plains an ornate portal inscribed with runes, untouched by ash, leads underground.

2A) Whenever a person attempts to enter the tunnel a strong breeze blows every bit of ash outside that comes in with them.

So thats it much simpler than the previous idea where people would design full dungeons so it is easier to participate. I would encourage you to check out the other threads that I cross posted on since people will be offering ideas there. I will leave this until there are 100 total posts, but at least leave it open till next Tuesday.

Last edited:

amnuxoll

First Post
It's a noble idea, but selecting a charity is a very personal thing. I think that until you open the target charities to an unrestricted set, you'll have a very restricted pool of authors. So, ironically, it's by refusing to support other charities that you are doing less good for your own.

Also, FWIW, the charities you have chosen seem like good ones to me. But that's just me...

SethDrebitko

First Post
Thanks for the response. As mentioned:

If you are interested in publishing something for the setting and do not want to use one of the charities listed then you are more than welcome to submit a request to have one put on the list for consideration.

I am open to pretty much any charity not associated with a religion other than my own.

Also the first project is up "The Ashen Plains" if you are interested. I apologize as the above may not have been directly apparent. Again thanks a ton for the response.

SethDrebitko

First Post
Again I am not restricting things to only Hindu charities, I have listed secular ones as well. I hope you can understand that a person of another religion than mine may have reservations, understandably, about funds being diverted to Hindu charities.

I am in no way trying to disrespect any ones religion, I am just not willing to support its endeavors. I understand some opinions that it is for charity and should not matter, but you also need to understand that you can pretty much find a secular equivalent to most religious charities.

I have previously stated that I am not that interested in openly discussing the religious factors here in this thread as it will detract from the actual project. If anyone would like to discuss these issues they are more than welcome to PM me. If you would like them openly discussed in public I encourage you to create a new thread and make a simple 1 line post linking to it.

SethDrebitko

First Post
Just another quick update on the main site I have added a brief blurb on the setting to give a bit more inspiration for details.

Some publicly, and some privately, have been concerned and confused why I am choosing to limit the charities to secular and Hindu only. To answer these concerns I have also created this FAQ page over at the blog.

Remove ads