More tokens to come?

Dungeoneer

First Post
This is pretty speculative, but the recent Ampersand column implied that minis might be replaced with... things other than minis. Reading between the lines, could this mean more tokens?

I picked up the Gamma World box a month ago and played through some one-shots with it. I really liked having a numbered token for every monster. It just made my life a ton easier as a DM. I'm tempted to go pick up the Essentials DM Kit, just for the tokens.

Personally, I would really like it if every 'Monster Manual' or 'Monster Vault' or whatever that they released from now on came with, or had the option to buy, a box of tokens that covered all the monsters in the book.

I feel bad for the minis collectors out there, but for a lot of people it's kind of a pain to try and track down appropriate minis for the game all the time. In fact I usually just reverted to using generic markers. If tokens is the future, I'm on board.

Especially if they make a set for Dark Sun.

Dausuul

Legend
Well, I have a gigantic mini collection at this point (and likely to get bigger soon--I expect prices will rise steadily now that supply has been cut off at the source, so anything I want I intend to grab ASAP), so I don't need tokens for most monsters.

What I would like are tokens for mounts--horses, griffons, pegasi, and such. I have minis for some of those, but tokens would work better because then I could just put the "rider" mini on top of the mount token, instead of trying to balance one mini on top of another. I would love it if there were someplace I could get a bunch of mount tokens without buying a whole lot of unnecessary monster tokens as well.

I wonder what the chances are of getting print-on-demand, customized token boxes? That would be awesome IMO. I can of course print and make my own, but I prefer the polished look of the commercially made kind.

Last edited:

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
And the product path I'd like to see is this, apparently sort of like the Fantastic Locations: You'd get two double sided maps. 2 sheets of tokens, and a side trek or delve style adventure with some minor fluff/background/setting and 2-4 encounters. I would NOT expect great plot development in this product.

Then, for adventures, you've got the 64 or 96 page detailed booklet as a separate type of product. This would still include a map like they do now, but the story and setting would be far more detailed than the locations product or even therecent WotC adventures. The balance of the Maps are up to the DM: whether they be DTs, parallel FL Maps, or hand drawn. Likewise, the monsters would be up to the DM, whether they come from minis, home made, or previously/parallel released with the FL product.

Both products serve a different purpose, but are linked, and I think they would fall at the same price point. One has higher dev costs, and one has higher production costs. You absolutely could use one without the other, but there is an 'ease of use' benefit to having both if the consumer so chooses.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I've moved to using a projector and MapTool for my monsters now, but at one point I printed my own tokens and glued them to fender washers (following a suggestion from NewbieDM). This worked beautifully - the metal washers make the tokens feel quite solid. The tokens I made six months ago are still in great shape, too - the glue hasn't come off or anything like that.

If you like DIY tokens, I recommend the metal washer approach.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I too have used the NewbieDM washer system, to good effect. However, I strongly prefer the WotC tokens over my home made variety, and I am migrating to them instead. The only "home mades" I use now are when I want a very specific villain represented.

There is certainly room for both options in the tool kit.

EDIT: I also want to add I recently discovered a great storage method for the 1 inch tokens. I bought several "sacagawea sized dollar" plastic coin tubes. They hold 35 or so tokens, and I label them. They work fantastic. I have not found a similar tube for the large or huge creatures yet.

Last edited:

Remove ads