Best E-Reader for gaming?

hornedturtle

First Post
I was wondering what the best e-reader is for viewing pdf's and gaming in general. Specifically something that will display the pdf's well but not cost a fortune.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My guess is a tablet or notebook computer of some kind, since you can view all that commercial product...AND the stuff you generate your own- PCs, campaign notes, personal art- which may be in formats not supported by mere eReaders.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Tablets, at least at this point, are a lot more expensive than an e-reader. If price is an issue, your best bet is a straight e-reader, I think.

The nice tablets introduced at CES this year are all going to be not-cheap. The iPad 1 will probably be discounted when the iPad 2 inevitably comes out in April, though, if Apple's pricing model with the iPhone is any indication. So you might want to wait for the iPad 2 announcement before making any decisions. (There are a variety of good ways to read PDF files on the iPad.)

caudor

Adventurer
Has anyone tried reading DDI stuff on a 10-inch screen? There are a bunch of devices out there that are 10-inch, including the iPad. Even the new Dell Inspiron Duo is 10-inch. Is this size large enough to read DDI stuff comfortably?

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Other than, yeah, "wot DaveMage said", I'd recommend a notebook/netbook as a very viable alternative.

If only because of the sheer amount of stuff you can do with one of those.

The most cost effective solution is a netbook, 11inch is ideal for gaming PDFs. Not only will it go fine for PDFs it will also work with any windows app (Char Builder!) that is out.

However for reading a keyboard is a PITA, I have a 11.6' EXOPC Slate, which is basically a netbook without a keyboard and with a touch screen... but I have paid for the privilege. It works great for a reader (I have a 10' eink reader as wel, now retired cos this is better) and a portable PC for work. Any 10-11' Android tablet will be cheaper (and cheaper than the iPad 1 or 2) so that is a better bet. iPad screen is the best colour screen out there so that is another point. Proper e-ink screens are much easier on the eye but B+W and slow to load complex PDF pages.

The choice is yours, and if you can wait til mid this year the choice will be massive and competition will force prices down. EDIT: and more reviews will be available.

caudor

Adventurer
The color Nook is awesome. Very readable and has memory expansion. A bit slow but I love the heck out of it.

Thanks for sharing that.

Seriously though, a 7-inch screen? Does the new color nook display in landscape mode or something? (I know the original nook could only do pdfs in portrait).

Have you read any of the DDI stuff on your color nook? Just wondering. Thanks :)

nedjer

Adventurer
The top e-reader can handle web pages, ePub, .doc and PDF with ease. The top e-reader is distinct from the top e-creator. The top e-reader is not necessarily the top e-creator, but it has to connect to the top e-creator. The top e-reader and creator now is £500 right now. It'll cost much less in six months.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases