Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Alertness and Listen 1, Spot 1 appeal.

Speaking of chameleon skin, did we ever decide upon the Hide bonus it provides?

I don't recall us doing so.

Each iteration of the wallara seems to have a different version of the camouflage.

The Mystara Monstrous Compendium version has no special hide skill for the normal Chameleon Man, but the Lords of Shade and Hue have a 90% reliable camouflage when unmoving.

The Savage Coast version all have the equivalent of a ring of chameleon power which "enables 90% invisibility in most surroundings", with no mention of them needing to stay motionless.

The Vaults of Prandius [FONT=&quot]Orc’s Head Peninsula Campaign Book[/FONT] gives 3rd+ level Chameleon Men the ability to mimic their surroundings, effectively becoming invisible as long as they remain quiet and motionless (and notes other Chameleon Men can always see another Chameleon Man using mimicry).

The BECMI version makes no mention of a chameleon ability.

Putting that together suggests something a bit more complex than a straight Hide bonus. Maybe a special ability that increases for mid- or high-level Chameleon Men?

Something like this:

Chameleon (Ex): With a move-equivalent action, a chameleon man can have his skin take on the color and texture of nearby objects, including floors and walls. So long as the chameleon man remains quiet and motionless, he then gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Hide checks, this bonus increases to +15 for chameleon men with X+ Hit Dice and +20 for those with Y+ Hit Dice. A chameleon man can not use his chameleon ability if more than 5% of his skin is covered (by clothing, armour, mud or the like).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Since they'll presumably advance by character class like other lizardfolk, how about simplifying the bonus to 5+class level?

Cleon

Legend

What about the 8+HD Hide bonus? :D

It's dagger should do 1d4-1 and the attack bonuses are all wrong. I'd also add a club as a melee and ranged weapon. There's also mention of spears, but "nulla nulla" clubs are more frequently mentioned:

Attack/Full Attack: Club +0 melee (1d6-1) or dagger +0 melee (1d4-1/19-20) or dagger +2 ranged (1d3-1/19-20) or club +2 ranged (1d6-1)

As for the rest of the stats, we've got.

Organization: Solitary, x (2-8), or clan (5-20)
- "hunting party" for the x organization?

Challenge Rating: x
- CR 1? They've not that tough.

Treasure: x
- originally Treasure Type E (Q, S):

Type E:
1,000-6,000 copper pieces: 5%
1,000-10,000 silver pieces: 25%
1,000-4,000 gold pieces: 25%
300-1,800 platinum or electrum pieces: 25%
1-12 gems: 25%
1-6 art objects: 10%
Any 3 magical items + 1 scroll: 25%

Type Q:
1-4 gems

Type S:
1-8 potions

That's pretty good. Maybe it's that dragon ancestry. :p

Standard coins, double good (gems & jewelery only), standard items?

Level Adjustment: +x
- Ought to be pretty high. That at-will dimension door is easily exploitable.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

All chameleon man settlements feature a magical site called a tookoo. The tookoo of a cave-dwelling clan might be a special grotto that glistens with arcane crystals. Forest dwellers might revere an ancient tree of strong magic. These sites always radiate magic and enable chameleon men to fight at a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls. When fighting for their tookoos or homes, their morale rises to Fearless (20).

How's this?

Tookoo Defender (Su): When fighting for their tookoos or homes, wallara receive a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects.

Mortis

First Post
Tookoo Defender (Su): When fighting for their tookoos or homes, wallara receive a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects.
Like the bonus to attacks and damage, but would prefer a bigger bonus vs. fear. (To be honest I'd prefer them to be immune to fear effects whilst defending their tookoo but I can't see anyone else agreeing to that :) )

Regards
Mortis

Cleon

Legend
Like the bonus to attacks and damage, but would prefer a bigger bonus vs. fear. (To be honest I'd prefer them to be immune to fear effects whilst defending their tookoo but I can't see anyone else agreeing to that :) )

Regards
Mortis

I prefer +4 on fear saves but would not rule out immunity to fear.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases