Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Mortis

First Post
Looks done to me too.

Fancy doing the (connected) Wallaran Spirits or the (remaining lizardkin) Shazak next?

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Lizard Kin (Savage Coast), Shazak
Climate/Terrain: Temperate to subtropical swamps and forests
Frequency: Rare
Organization: Tribe
Activity Cycle: Any
Diet: Omnivore
Intelligence: Average (8-10)
Treasure: K (A)
Alignment: Neutral
No. Appearing: 3d6
Armor Class: 5
Movement: 9
Hit Dice: 3
THAC0: 17
No. of Attacks: 3
Damage/Attack: 1d2/1d2/1d6 (or by weapon)
Special Attacks: Nil
Special Defenses: Nil
Magic Resistance: Nil
Size: M (6’ tall)
Morale: Elite (13-14)
XP Value: 65
6 HD Leader: 270

The lizard kin of the Orc’s Head Peninsula were created by the Herathians about 1700 years ago, using captured wallaras as raw material. The lizard kin were created to serve as soldiers and slaves, but none of the three races were suitable. The shazaks and caymas were set free, while the savage gurrash escaped from Herathian control. Now the great marsh known as the Bayou and the surrounding regions are home to three distinct races of lizard kin: the shazaks (much like the lizard men), the more barbaric gurrash (also called “gator men”), and the diminutive caymas.

All lizard kin speak a variant of the shazak tongue, which has a written form that shazaks and a few gurrash mages understand. Fluency with one dialect gives a basic understanding of the other two. A few lizard kin also speak common, although this ability is very rare.

The shazaks are peaceful primitives. They stand about 6 feet tall and have dark green or brown scaly skin and slitted gold eyes. Shazaks sometimes serve as mercenaries for Herathian nobles. They have developed a written language, art, and trade since establishing their own society. They are ruled by a monarch known as the Shaz.

Combat: Though not as ferocious as the gurrash, shazaks are strong, hardy, and far more dependable. They can choose from many different weapons, ranging from spears to swords. They have domesticated large bats (mobats) which serve as mounts for the important members of the tribe and for the beast-riders among them.

Habitat/Society: Shazaks are survivors. When they were turned out by the Herathians, they adapted to the bayou. Chased from that habitat by the gurrash, they adapted to their woodland home. They pursue peaceful callings like pottery and fishing, but they also serve Herathians in times of war. They must defend their homes often from both gurrash raids and rakastan invasions from Bellayne.

Ecology: Shazaks are to some extent the caretakers of their woodland homes. They cull old trees and trade the rare woods to Herath and keep the plant and animal populations within bounds. Shazaks have no widespread effect on the rest of the Savage Coast and the Orc’s Head Peninsula.

Originally appeared in Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1996).

Mortis

First Post
To make a start.

Medium Monstrous Humanoid.
Hit Dice: 3d8+x (13+x hp)

Stat suggestions

Str 15, Dex 11-12, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 12

Based on the following quotes

Intelligence: Average (8-10) and A few lizard kin also speak common, although this ability is very rare.
I reason that very few Shazaks have a high enough Int to get a bonus language.

are strong, hardy, and far more dependable
The bonuses to Str, Con and Cha - being dependable means more people like them ;-)

Armor Class: 5
No mention of them wearing armour, so a combination of Dex bonus and natural armour. Dex 12 seems reasonable (and a +4 natural armor bonus).

Movement: 9
In between the lizardman's 6 and the wallara's 12 - Stick to 30 feet?

Damage/Attack: 1d2/1d2/1d6
I presume that's two claws and a bite? 1d2 seems rather low for a strong. 6' tall creature. Up it to a 1d3 or 1d4?

Special Attacks: Nil
Special Defenses: Nil
Magic Resistance: Nil
Well that was easy!

Size: M (6’ tall)
Morale: Elite (13-14)
XP Value: 65
6 HD Leader: 270

The lizard kin of the Orc’s Head Peninsula were created by the Herathians about 1700 years ago, using captured wallaras as raw material. The lizard kin were created to serve as soldiers and slaves, but none of the three races were suitable. The shazaks and caymas were set free, while the savage gurrash escaped from Herathian control. Now the great marsh known as the Bayou and the surrounding regions are home to three distinct races of lizard kin: the shazaks (much like the lizard men), the more barbaric gurrash (also called “gator men”), and the diminutive caymas.

All lizard kin speak a variant of the shazak tongue, which has a written form that shazaks and a few gurrash mages understand. Fluency with one dialect gives a basic understanding of the other two. A few lizard kin also speak common, although this ability is very rare.
Most of this is Mystara/Savage Coast specific - might want to include a side bar for it though.

The shazaks are peaceful primitives. They stand about 6 feet tall and have dark green or brown scaly skin and slitted gold eyes. Shazaks sometimes serve as mercenaries for Herathian nobles. They have developed a written language, art, and trade since establishing their own society. They are ruled by a monarch known as the Shaz.
Change herathian nobles to local nobles or just say that they sometimes serve as mercenaries.

They can choose from many different weapons, ranging from spears to swords.
Simple weapon proficency obviously plus some martial weapons? or go the whole hog and give them martial weapon proficency?

They have domesticated large bats (mobats) which serve as mounts for the important members of the tribe and for the beast-riders among them.
Interesting...

Shazaks are survivors. When they were turned out by the Herathians, they adapted to the bayou. Chased from that habitat by the gurrash, they adapted to their woodland home.
I think this deserves a (+4) racial bonus to Survival.

Shazaks are to some extent the caretakers of their woodland homes. They cull old trees and trade the rare woods to Herath and keep the plant and animal populations within bounds.
Favored Class Druid (again) or Ranger.

Regards
Mortis

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Stat suggestions

Str 15, Dex 11-12, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 12

I'm wouldn't give them a Dex or Charisma bonus. There's nothing in the original to suggest they're particularly gifted in those areas.

No mention of them wearing armour, so a combination of Dex bonus and natural armour. Dex 12 seems reasonable (and a +4 natural armor bonus).

I'd just give them +5 natural armour like regular Lizardfolk.

In between the lizardman's 6 and the wallara's 12 - Stick to 30 feet?

Fine by me.

I presume that's two claws and a bite? 1d2 seems rather low for a strong. 6' tall creature. Up it to a 1d3 or 1d4?

The claw/claw/bite damage is identical to AD&D Lizard Men who have 1d4 claws in 3E.

I'd be happy with 1d4 claws and a 1d6 bite.

I think this deserves a (+4) racial bonus to Survival.

Not decided on that, but I have no objection in principle. We ought to give them the SRD Lizardfolk's "Because of their tails, lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Jump, Swim, and Balance checks."

Favored Class Druid (again) or Ranger

I go for Ranger.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Should they have the standard lizardfolk's hold breath ability? I'd vote "yes", since they have similar environments.

They can choose from many different weapons, ranging from spears to swords.

Mortis said:
Simple weapon proficency obviously plus some martial weapons? or go the whole hog and give them martial weapon proficency?

Let's stick with simple, and allow those with ranger levels to wield the swords.

They have domesticated large bats (mobats) which serve as mounts for the important members of the tribe and for the beast-riders among them.

Mortis said:
Interesting...

Indeed. Let's include that in the flavor text at the very least.

Mortis

First Post
I'm wouldn't give them a Dex or Charisma bonus. There's nothing in the original to suggest they're particularly gifted in those areas.
I can live with that. Dex 11, Cha 10?

I'd just give them +5 natural armour like regular Lizardfolk.
Agreed.

I'd be happy with 1d4 claws and a 1d6 bite.
Me too.

Not decided on that, but I have no objection in principle.
Anyone else?

We ought to give them the SRD Lizardfolk's "Because of their tails, lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Jump, Swim, and Balance checks."
I've no problem with including that.

Shade said:
Should they have the standard lizardfolk's hold breath ability? I'd vote "yes", since they have similar environments.
Put me down for a 'yes' vote too.

Let's stick with simple, and allow those with ranger levels to wield the swords.
Ok with me.

Regards
Mortis

Mortis

First Post
This really should be in homebrews I guess, but still...

As I had a few minutes over the weekend I applied the Mystaran Gargantuan template to a balor! I've attached it as a pdf.

Apologies to any groups it is inflicted on. :devil:

Saying that the DCs for its spell-like abilities are woefully low.

Regards
Mortis

Attachments

• Mystaran Gargantuan Roaring Demon.pdf
    19.6 KB · Views: 279

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Gargantua balor? Yikes!

Ok, shazak are looking pretty good. And I guess no need for special attacks.

Put most skill ranks into Survival? Or something like Hide/Move Silently?

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

That'd fit.

Sure, why not.

Indeed. Let's include that in the flavor text at the very least.

How about including a mobat-mounted "beast rider" ranger in the writeup, both in the Organization and as a sample advanced shazak?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases