Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Going in reverse order:

I'd agree with keeping only penalties in the table and allowing the DM or player to decide on what description to use.

I do like bonus empowerment points as the benefit for the sin-eater. I don't know if they need restrictions (especially use against evil creatures, since the original text specifies that sin-eaters can be any alignment); the afflictions are probably enough of a penalty.

Okay, let's aim for bonus empowerment points for the time being.

The questions to address are then (a) how many empowerment points, and (b) how does this affect the "An ovinaur may never have more empowerment points than 5 times its Hit Dice" in its current Discerp draft?

For the second, I suggest the following simple addition would address the issue:

An ovinaur may never have more empowerment points from discerping than 5 times its Hit Dice. Ovinaurs can gain additional empowerment points using their sin eating ability (see below).

Or possibly:

The maximum number of empowerment points an ovinaur can gain from discerping is equal to 5 times its Hit Dice. Ovinaurs can gain additional empowerment points using their sin eating ability (see below).

As for plot-relevance, you give a good example of the use of sin-eating on an NPC since it prevents return as an undead. If you want to add something else, what if it provides the effects of gentle repose or something?

I don't care for gentle repose, but was thinking more of remove curse or break enchantment like effects.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think the first version on empowerment point limits would work better.

Yeah, remove curse or break enchantment just don't seem quite right for this to me --- they just don't quite have enough to do with sins. Now, I could see atonement for unwitting evil acts.

Cleon

Legend
I think the first version on empowerment point limits would work better.

Either of them are acceptable to me, although I do prefer the first version too.

So shall I update the Working Draft with option #1?

Yeah, remove curse or break enchantment just don't seem quite right for this to me --- they just don't quite have enough to do with sins. Now, I could see atonement for unwitting evil acts.

I like atonement plus the "can't rise as an undead" idea. Those ought to be enough of a benefit for the ovinaur to get "customers".

freyar

Please do update.

Ok, let's do undead-prevention and atonement. Do we have a basic framework, then? Sin-eating gets the ovinaur empowerment points and a possible affliction (see tables) and makes sure the subject can't rise as undead as well as granting atonement. Anything else besides flavor? Were there checks to make?

Cleon

Legend
Please do update.

Updating the Ovinaur Working Draft.

Ok, let's do undead-prevention and atonement. Do we have a basic framework, then? Sin-eating gets the ovinaur empowerment points and a possible affliction (see tables) and makes sure the subject can't rise as undead as well as granting atonement. Anything else besides flavor?

I think we've got the structure sorted out but have to figure out the numbers for the ability penalties and how many empowerment points they gain from sin-eating.

Were there checks to make?

Well, there are Wisdom check DC to recover from Afflictions.

freyar

Mmmph. I was just thinking that we could actually simplify the sin ratio and affliction tables to a single table if we allow the DM/player to choose the description of the affliction. Just roll 1d2 for Con vs Cha, and the amount of the penalty can be listed in the Affliction Acuteness column. What do you think?

Cleon

Legend
Mmmph. I was just thinking that we could actually simplify the sin ratio and affliction tables to a single table if we allow the DM/player to choose the description of the affliction. Just roll 1d2 for Con vs Cha, and the amount of the penalty can be listed in the Affliction Acuteness column. What do you think?

That seems fine by me.

freyar

Hmmm. What about 1 Cha/Con point per line of the table and 2 empowerment points? Maybe DCs start at 10 and increase by 2 per line?

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. What about 1 Cha/Con point per line of the table and 2 empowerment points? Maybe DCs start at 10 and increase by 2 per line?

The ability penalties and DCs seem OK, but I thought the empowerment points depended on the level/HD the sin-eating corpse had in life?

freyar

Well, I meant increasing by 2 empowerment points for each line on the table. That's not quite the same as points per HD, but I think we settled on basing the empowerment points on the sin ratio, right?

Remove ads