Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Mortis

First Post
So we just need some text & tactics and they're done.
There's also still a few 'x' place holders in the 'as characters':
Racial Skills: missing its class skills. (Balance, Jump, Listen, Spot, Survival, Swim?)
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Hold breath, low-light vision
Level Adjustment: +1

Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Since "They can choose from many different weapons, ranging from spears to swords", shall we swap the club with a shortsword on the attack lines?

Cleon

Legend
There's also still a few 'x' place holders in the 'as characters':
Racial Skills: missing its class skills. (Balance, Jump, Listen, Spot, Survival, Swim?)
Special Attacks: -

Mortis

Well spotted!

That makes it:

Racial Skills: A shazak's humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Jump, Listen, Spot, Survival, Swim. Shazak have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, Survival, and Swim checks.
Special Attacks: —

As for the description & tactics, here's a start:

A humanoid reptile with a thick, scaly skin and a tail.

Shazaks are a primitive breed of lizardfolk noted for their survival skills. Shazak have their own written language and art, their culture emphasizes adapting to live in harmony with nature. They have domesticated dire bats, which are ridden by tribal leaders and beast-riders. Shazaks prefer peaceful callings like fishing and pottery, but must know how to fight to defend their homes. Some shazaks hire themselves as mercenaries to nobles of neighboring states, usually as part of a trade and defense pact.

A shazak is usually 5 to 6 feet tall with dark green or brown scaly skin and slitted gold eyes. Its tail is used for balance and is 3 to 4 feet long. A shazak can weigh from 125 to 160 pounds.

Shazaks speak (and write) their own dialect of Draconic.

COMBAT
These normally peaceful people are strong, hardy combatants when defending their lives and homes. Shazaks are also dependable; they seldom abandon their kin or allies to an enemy if there is hope of aiding them.

Shazaks fight with weapons as well as their own claws and teeth. Most tribes can only manufacture clubs, javelins and spears, but they may acquire many different weapons from mercenary work and trade deals, swords being a favorite.

Shazaks in Mystara
The shazaks of Mystara live in the Orc's Head Peninsula of the Savage Coast. They were created by the Herathians about 1700 years ago, who transformed Chameleon Men into these primitive lizardfolk. After being set free by the Herathians, they lived in the bayou, but were driven out by their cousins the gurrash lizardfolk and resettled in the Orc's Head woodlands. They still maintain close ties with the Herathians, and often ally with them in defensive wars against incursions by gurrash and rakastan. The Savage Coast shazaks are ruled by a monarch known as the Shaz.

Mortis

First Post
Since "They can choose from many different weapons, ranging from spears to swords", shall we swap the club with a shortsword on the attack lines?
I'd actually favour giving them a spear (maybe even a longspear) as they would be more numerous than shortswords - IMO.

Its close but I think that I prefer Cleon's fluff, although we may want to add to 'Shazaks in Mystara' that they normally worship Ka (who I believe got a write up in Dragon) - maybe base their Domain options on that?

Just spotted a little typo. The 'Attack' line is missing a closing bracket for club damage.

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd actually favour giving them a spear (maybe even a longspear) as they would be more numerous than shortswords - IMO.

Longspears appeal. Updated.

Its close but I think that I prefer Cleon's fluff, although we may want to add to 'Shazaks in Mystara' that they normally worship Ka (who I believe got a write up in Dragon) - maybe base their Domain options on that?

Great idea!

Anyone have the domains handy?

EDIT: Found it! Ka's domains are Good, Knowledge, Law, Scalykind. Go with those?

Also, Ka is lawful good. Do we want to change the shazak's alignment to "usually neutral good"? It would seem to fit with their general outlook.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Cleon, did you miss my update above? ;)

Yes, I hopscotched your post so didn't see it.

Swords seem wrong for a a race that's supposed to be primitive, but I'd accept spears. I prefer regular spears over longspears. They live in woods and swamps, areas there might not be room to easily move a longspear about.

Mortis

First Post
Longspears appeal. Updated.
I forget the protocol/format. Do we need to add '10 ft. with longspear' to the Space/Reach line?

Ka's domains are Good, Knowledge, Law, Scalykind. Go with those?
Looks good. I can't believe we missed scalykind in the first place is it OGL?
<edit> Never mind just found it in the additional domains section of the SRD.

Also, Ka is lawful good. Do we want to change the shazak's alignment to "usually neutral good"? It would seem to fit with their general outlook.
Fine with me

Regards
Mortis

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases