Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Mortis

First Post
BTW what was a 2E crocodile's swim speed?
It's ok I've found it.

It looks like my idea of the gurrash's swim speed shouldn't be higher than a croc's is wrong :.-(

In that case, given that most of us (well Shade and myself) uld be higher than the shazak's (30 ft.) how about the following?

Move: 40 ft, swim 50 ft.

Regards
Mortis

Cleon

Legend
It's ok I've found it.

It looks like my idea of the gurrash's swim speed shouldn't be higher than a croc's is wrong :.-(

In that case, given that most of us (well Shade and myself) uld be higher than the shazak's (30 ft.) how about the following?

Move: 40 ft, swim 50 ft.

Regards
Mortis

Why do you want to make them faster than a human on land when the original monster had the same land speed?

I could live with them having a 50 ft. swim speed (although I prefer a 40 ft. one), but am still dead set against the Gurrash having a 40 ft. land speed. It seems obvious they should have a 30 ft. land speed.

Mortis

First Post
Why do you want to make them faster than a human on land when the original monster had the same land speed?
Because their original land speed was faster the the shazak's which we converted to 30 ft.

2E stats
Shazak Move 9"
Gurrash Move 12", swim 18"

Mortis said:
???
I've obviously cut a bit out of what I intended to post.
It should have read
...given that most of us (well Shade and myself) think that the Gurrash's speed should be faster than the shazak's (30 ft.)...

If we;'re not going to lower tha shazak's speed then I'm going to have to insist (Well has much as I can on a public forum) that the gurrash's speed is 40 ft.

At the moment we have Shade and myself who favour 40 ft. Yourself who favours 30 ft. What does Freyar and anyone else think?

Regards
Mortis

Cleon

Legend
Because their original land speed was faster the the shazak's which we converted to 30 ft.

2E stats
Shazak Move 9"
Gurrash Move 12", swim 18"

The Shazak's 9" is slower than an unencumbered AD&D human's 12" so, if you're set on giving them a speed distinction, I think it makes more sense lowering the Shazak to slower-than-human than increasing the Gurrash to faster-than-human.

That said, considering the 3E version of the Lizard Man is as fast as a human, lowering the Shazak's speed seems an unnecessary relic of the AD&D Lizard Man being slower than a human on land.

So, I'd rather give them both the same 30 ft. base land speed as a 3E Lizard Kin, OR make the Shazak 20 ft. and the Gurrash 30 ft.

How about we compromise and give them both 30 ft. base speed, but say the Gurrash have Barbarian as their favoured class, then a lot of Gurrash will get a 10 ft. speed boost from the Barbarian's Fast Movement class feature?

Mortis

First Post
I guess we've argued this enough. I'll settle for the Enworld version having a speed of 30 ft. Mine won't though ;)

That said given their environment, there's going to be a lot of poor terrain, how about giving them, an ability to ignore the penalties of moving throw swamps?

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I guess we've argued this enough. I'll settle for the Enworld version having a speed of 30 ft. Mine won't though ;)

That said given their environment, there's going to be a lot of poor terrain, how about giving them, an ability to ignore the penalties of moving throw swamps?

Regards
Mortis
I'm game for that if everyone else is.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases