Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The usual 1HD warrior seems to have the most support and makes some sense. But if we really want size advancement, I could see starting them at 2HD and Tiny. That, or give them some paragon class that allows size advancement. Did we talk about that earlier?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Cleon said:
I'd rather make it an exception so it's easier to excuse an Advancement to Small, but I don't mind making it a Tiny 1st level warrior with just "by character class" advancement.

I like this best. But...

The usual 1HD warrior seems to have the most support and makes some sense. But if we really want size advancement, I could see starting them at 2HD and Tiny. That, or give them some paragon class that allows size advancement. Did we talk about that earlier?

...I could go for a paragon class underbar.

Cleon

Legend

It was mentioned, yes.

I'm not in the mood for going to the trouble of working up a paragon class though.

2 HD and Tiny would be closer to the original, I guess, but I have no great objection to 1st level warrior.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Since they are Tiny, I went with -2 Str, +2 Dex. We can debate that if you'd like.

Caymen usually avoid conflict, except in self-defense or when protecting their villages, territory, or food sources. When pressed, they use bone weapons, usually small javelins and large daggers. Each weapon inflicts 1d6 points of damage.

I went with spear rather than javelin to get a bit closer to the 1d6 damage. A dagger would do less damage than their bites, so seems unlikely. At least a Tiny shortsword would do the same damage as the bite, with a higher threat range. Want to add short sword to the attack lines?

In general, caymen dislike frontal assaults. They prefer to surprise an opponent, make a few quick attacks, then flee.

All caymen can move silently and hide in shadows with a 40% chance of success. They use these skills to evade combat, or to surprise foes with whom they must fight; those attacked by a concealed cayman suffer a -2 penalty to surprise rolls.

Racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently? Improved Init as the feat?

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

Since they are Tiny, I went with -2 Str, +2 Dex. We can debate that if you'd like.

They're supposed to be incredibly tough for their size. So I'd give them an impressive racial bonus to Con. Maybe +4, so they're as tough as a Small Dog?

I went with spear rather than javelin to get a bit closer to the 1d6 damage. A dagger would do less damage than their bites, so seems unlikely. At least a Tiny shortsword would do the same damage as the bite, with a higher threat range. Want to add short sword to the attack lines?

In an earlier post I proposed giving them the Oversized Weapon SA and then arming them with Small spears (1d6 damage) and shortswords (1d4 damage), then they'll do damage equal to a regular sized javelin or dagger.

What do you think?

Racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently? Improved Init as the feat?

I wouldn't bother with Hide, their size bonus should be enough.

There's nothing in the original description to indicate they're particularly fast, so I'm against Improved Initiative.

How about Animal Affinity for their feat? It would be a good match with their animal herding lifestyle.

If you prefer something more combat-orientated, Weapon Finesse would boost their shortsword attack by +2.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
If we're giving them +4 Con (which I like), I'm not sure we should also give them Oversized Weapon. But maybe I could be convinced. Animal Affinity sounds fun, but Weapon Finesse would make a lot of sense (if we don't make it a bonus feat).

Shade

Monster Junkie
They're supposed to be incredibly tough for their size. So I'd give them an impressive racial bonus to Con. Maybe +4, so they're as tough as a Small Dog?

I'm fine with this.

In an earlier post I proposed giving them the Oversized Weapon SA and then arming them with Small spears (1d6 damage) and shortswords (1d4 damage), then they'll do damage equal to a regular sized javelin or dagger.

I'm not fond of oversized weapons for them. I didn't get the impression from the original text that they were wielding larger weapons.. Weapons didn't have size damages in previous editions, so they were just giving them standard javelin damage and not an exception-based lesser damage.

I wouldn't bother with Hide, their size bonus should be enough.

There's nothing in the original description to indicate they're particularly fast, so I'm against Improved Initiative.

Nothing indicates they aren't, either. I picked it based upon the fact that they like to make quick strikes from ambush and then depart. That sounds like "getting the jump on opponents" to me.

How about Animal Affinity for their feat? It would be a good match with their animal herding lifestyle.

That said, I don't mind the underused Animal Affinity here.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases