Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
I'm not fond of oversized weapons for them. I didn't get the impression from the original text that they were wielding larger weapons.. Weapons didn't have size damages in previous editions, so they were just giving them standard javelin damage and not an exception-based lesser damage.

Yes, In older editions they tended to just fudge it on a case-by-case basis, along the lines of "the foldegibble wields a tiny battleaxe that does 2-5 damage".

Then again, if you're saying they should do standard 1d6 javelin damage they ought to be using Medium sized javelins, which would require Double Oversized Weapons. ;)

Nothing indicates they aren't, either. I picked it based upon the fact that they like to make quick strikes from ambush and then depart. That sounds like "getting the jump on opponents" to me.

That seems a bit thin. If anything, it's evidence of Spring Attack, and I don't want to give them that.

That said, I don't mind the underused Animal Affinity here.

Let's just go for the Feat that's friendly with beasts, then.

Mortis

First Post
FWIW, I'm currently (slowly) translating an Italian fanbook on Weapons and Armour into English. It mentions two specific weapons for the cayma. These are

Bok – see Javelin, light
Appearance: The bok is made from a short wooden shaft with a flint or bone point. In practice it is a short spear made from primitive materials, and is usually used as a spear by the cayma and tiny-sized creatures.
Statistics: The bok uses the statistics of a light javelin, but its cost, encumbrance, and HP vary based on the tip’s material (bone or stone).

Grooka – see Sword, Bastard
P....Size....Type....Cost....Enc.....H.P.....T.L.
H......T......T/P......4 gp.....22......20.......2
Appearance: The grooka is the typical bastard sword of the cayma, therefore it is a double weapon that can be used in one or two hands by tiny-sized creatures.
Statistics: The grooka of the cayma is a tiny-sized, iron bastard sword, which does 1d3 if used one-handed and 1d5 if used with two hands by tiny size creatures, while steel versions do 1d4/1d6 damage, but increase its cost (5 gp) and HP (22). The other statistics (Defence and Special) remain identical to a bastard sword’s.
Use: The grooka can be used with one or two hands by tiny sized creatures, while larger creatures can use it in one hand with the same statistics as an iron dagger.

We might want to borrow the names for flavour.

Regards
Mortis

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
FWIW, I'm currently (slowly) translating an Italian fanbook on Weapons and Armour into English. It mentions two specific weapons for the cayma. These are

Bok – see Javelin, light
Appearance: The bok is made from a short wooden shaft with a flint or bone point. In practice it is a short spear made from primitive materials, and is usually used as a spear by the cayma and tiny-sized creatures.
Statistics: The bok uses the statistics of a light javelin, but its cost, encumbrance, and HP vary based on the tip’s material (bone or stone).

Grooka – see Sword, Bastard
P....Size....Type....Cost....Enc.....H.P.....T.L.
H......T......T/P......4 gp.....22......20.......2
Appearance: The grooka is the typical bastard sword of the cayma, therefore it is a double weapon that can be used in one or two hands by tiny-sized creatures.
Statistics: The grooka of the cayma is a tiny-sized, iron bastard sword, which does 1d3 if used one-handed and 1d5 if used with two hands by tiny size creatures, while steel versions do 1d4/1d6 damage, but increase its cost (5 gp) and HP (22). The other statistics (Defence and Special) remain identical to a bastard sword’s.
Use: The grooka can be used with one or two hands by tiny sized creatures, while larger creatures can use it in one hand with the same statistics as an iron dagger.

We might want to borrow the names for flavour.

Regards
Mortis

Methinks we're better of giving them Small Spears and Small Shortsword as per the SRD, while noting their Cayma names in the background info section.

Mortis

First Post
Methinks we're better of giving them Small Spears and Small Shortsword as per the SRD, while noting their Cayma names in the background info section.
'Tis what I meant, the stats given are for B&D with Weapon MAstery etc. for most weapons.

Regards
Mortis

Remove ads