Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
That all looks fine to me.

I guess we should as Handle Animal won't cover them.

Seems reasonable.

Regards
Mortis

Thus?:

Training A Xytar
A xytar requires training before it can bear a rider in combat.

Training a xytar requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check. A xytar has such a long back that it can carry two riders at the same time, although this requires an exotic saddle. A xytar with a standard saddle can carry one rider. A xytar can fight while carrying one or two riders, but the riders cannot also attack unless they succeed on a Ride check.

Xytar eggs are worth X gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth Y gp each. Professional trainers charge Z gp to rear or train a xytar.

Carrying Capacity: Due to their sturdy hexapedal build, xytars can carry heavier loads than quadrupeds can. Their carrying capacity is 4 times that of a Medium biped with their Strength score. A typical xytar can carry a light load of up to 464 pounds, a medium load of 465-932 pound, a heavy load of 933-1400 pounds, and can drag 7,000 pounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
They're a bit tougher than a hippogriff, but can't fly. So similar prices: 2000 gp eggs, 3000 gp young, 1000 gp to rear or train?

Cleon

Legend
They're a bit tougher than a hippogriff, but can't fly. So similar prices: 2000 gp eggs, 3000 gp young, 1000 gp to rear or train?

That's OK by me. They may be a CR higher, but that whole "not flying" thing makes them a lot less useful as a mount.

Hmm, a Howler is trainable as a mount and has the same CR and lack of flying. Shame it has no costs listed.

Revising...

Training A Xytar
A xytar requires training before it can bear a rider in combat.

Training a xytar requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check. A xytar has such a long back that it can carry two riders at the same time, although this requires an exotic saddle. A xytar with a standard saddle can carry one rider. A xytar can fight while carrying one or two riders, but the riders cannot also attack unless they succeed on a Ride check.

Xytar eggs are worth 2,000 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 3,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a xytar.

Carrying Capacity: Due to their sturdy hexapedal build, xytars can carry heavier loads than quadrupeds can. Their carrying capacity is 4 times that of a Medium biped with their Strength score. A typical xytar can carry a light load of up to 464 pounds, a medium load of 465-932 pound, a heavy load of 933-1400 pounds, and can drag 7,000 pounds.

Cleon

Legend

The Xytar's got a +2 Dex bonus in Initiative and AC, but +3 in its Ref save and Dex 16.

I'd give it Dex 14, Reflex +6. (Don't forget the Camarilla would have Dex 14 too).

Also, you've duplicated the "Carrying Capacity" text. I'd erase the first instance of it, leaving the one under Training a Xytar.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The Xytar's got a +2 Dex bonus in Initiative and AC, but +3 in its Ref save and Dex 16.

I'd give it Dex 14, Reflex +6. (Don't forget the Camarilla would have Dex 14 too).

Also, you've duplicated the "Carrying Capacity" text. I'd erase the first instance of it, leaving the one under Training a Xytar.

We agreed on Dex 14 upthread, so I'll make the change. Updated.

Remove ads