Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
P.S. Lets hope that there is never an offical 4E version of the tortle - given that over the previous editions its HD have halved with each new edition (4HD in BXCMI -> 2 in 2E -> 1 in 3E). :D

Oh, and by the way, Secodnd Edition AD&D has both 4 HD Tortles (Mystara MC) and 2 HD Tortles (Savage Coast MC).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Alternatively, if you really want a LA +0 version, we could split them into two creature like we did with the 3 HD Gurrash "Lizard Man" and the 7 HD Gurrash "Gator Man".

Then we might both be happy. :p

No. In this instance, I'd be happier to just pretend the Dragon Magazine version doesn't exist, and just create our snapper in a vacuum.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed. I like this
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d8+2) or [lance?] +4 melee (1d8+3/×3) or [heavy crossbow?] +0 ranged (1d10/19-20) or net +0 ranged (special)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d8+2) and 2 claws +2 melee (1d4+1); or [lance?] +4 melee (1d8+3/×3) and bite +2 melee (1d8+1); or [heavy crossbow?] +0 ranged (1d10/19-20); or net +0 ranged (special)
I'm not as sure about Multiattack, though. Leaving it off would encourage weapon use and free up a feat.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed. I like this

I'm not as sure about Multiattack, though. Leaving it off would encourage weapon use and free up a feat.

Snappers don't seem to use artificial weapons in melee as much as Tortles do, so I prefer keeping Multiattack to make that viable (but just not a lot more viable than going weapon+bite.

If you don't want it to use up a feat, we could always make Multiattack a bonus feat!

Updating Working Draft.

Mortis

First Post
Working Draft said:
A typical snapper stands from 6 to 7 feet tall and weighs about 500 [?] pounds.
The sources give a weight of around 1,000 pounds. The standard tortle is 500 pounds though.

Regards
Mortis

Cleon

Legend
The sources give a weight of around 1,000 pounds. The standard tortle is 500 pounds though.

Yes, I was aware the earlier-edition Snapper weighed half a ton. I just didn't necessarily agree with it.

I would rather have it weight twice as much as the Dragon #315 version of the Tortle.

However much that is.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yes, I was aware the earlier-edition Snapper weighed half a ton. I just didn't necessarily agree with it.

I would rather have it weight twice as much as the Dragon #315 version of the Tortle.

However much that is.

What is twice as much as "none given"? :erm:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases