Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Hey, I tried the tactics, which are usually ok for me, and you wanted to rewrite those! ;)

But at least you're contributing! :p

How's this...

A humanoid turtle with a lumpy brown shell, webbed hands and feet, claws and a vicious, flesh-tearing beak.

A snapper is a marine relative of the tortle. They are vicious carnivores quite unlike the placid, peaceful tortles. These turtle-folk gather in small packs governed by mutual consent, although the strongest and most cunning members have the greatest say in decisions. They do not form tribes, build villages or have recognized leaders. Snappers often ride the turtle-like beast called nikt'oo, which they train for aggressiveness in combat.

Snappers are migratory creatures, roaming the oceans from one hunting ground to another. A snapper may swim hundreds of leagues to reach a hunting ground or nesting site. During their mating season, snappers congregate at special beaches, where they lay their eggs in rock-walled roofless labyrinths just above the high-tide mark. The snappers defend these places fiercely, attacking all intruders.

A typical snapper stands from 6 to 7 feet tall and weighs about 500 pounds.

Snappers speak [a curt dialect of Tortle?].

COMBAT

Snappers are ill-tempered and territorial, apt to viciously attack at the least provocation. They usually open combat by shooting crossbow bolts, and switch to claws and bite in close combat. Snappers often throw nets at fast-moving opponents to try to remove their speed advantage.

Cleon

Legend
I'd just go with your short sample in post #534.

So how's this?

A humanoid turtle with a lumpy brown shell, webbed hands and feet, claws and a vicious, flesh-tearing beak.

A snapper is a marine relative of the tortle. They are vicious carnivores quite unlike the placid, peaceful tortles. These turtle-folk gather in small packs governed by mutual consent, although the strongest and most cunning members have the greatest say in decisions. They do not form tribes, build villages or have recognized leaders. Snappers are famously bad-tempered and attack other creatures at the least provocation. Tortles and snappers sometimes come into conflict over control of a shoreline.

Clumsy on land, a snapper is fast and agile in the water. They are migratory creatures, roaming the oceans from one hunting ground to another. A snapper may swim hundreds of leagues to reach a hunting ground or nesting site. During their mating season, snappers congregate at special beaches, where they lay their eggs in rock-walled roofless labyrinths just above the high-tide mark. The snappers defend these places fiercely, attacking all intruders.

Snappers often ride the turtle-like beast called nikt'oo, which they train for aggressiveness in combat. They also use nikt'oo as pack animals to carry their possessions while migrating.

A typical snapper stands from 6 to 7 feet tall and weighs about 500 pounds.

Snappers speak a curt dialect of the Tortle language [?].

COMBAT

Snappers are ill-tempered and territorial, apt to viciously attack at the least provocation. They usually open combat by shooting crossbow bolts, and switch to claws and bite in close combat. Snappers often throw nets at fast-moving opponents to try to remove their speed advantage.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good. I feel like we should give them another more common (Common?) language.

Another language.

A more common language.

How about worg? :lol:

Alternatively, I was thinking Aquan might make sense, as they're marine creatures. It's also on the Additional Language list of the Dragon #315 Tortle.

Remove ads