Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Agreed. 2HD Medium Humanoids, I suppose.

I'd prefer Monstrous Humanoid, like a Minotaur.

I'd say no better than average Str, good Dex, average Con (maybe slightly above). Average mental stats. Maybe Str 10, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11?

Dex 16 seems a trifle high.

I suppose it depends how much of the original's Armour Class comes from thick skin and armour. I wouldn't mind giving them leather/NA+2 and Dex 12-13 or cloth/NA+1 and Dex 14-15.

Hmm, do we have any stats for a goat? That'd give us some basis for the stats.

Anyhow, I'll start a very basic Working Draft.

Cleon

Legend
Goatfolk Working Draft

Goatfolk
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Goatkin)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 Dex, +2 leather, +1 natural) touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2
Attack: Shortsword +4 melee (1d6/19-20); or dagger +5 melee (1d4/19-20); or gore +4 melee (1d4); or dagger +5 ranged (1d4/19-20)
Full Attack: Shortsword +4 melee (1d6/19-20) and gore -1 melee (1d4); or dagger +5 melee (1d4/19-20) and gore -1 melee (1d4); or dagger +5 ranged (1d4/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ram, sneak attack +1d6
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, mountain move
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +4, Climb +2*, Hide +4, Move Silently +4, Tumble +4
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (dagger) (B)
Environment: Any mountains
Organization: Solitary, gang (3-6 plus 1-3 1st-level rogues and 1 3rd-level rogue) or clan (12-30 plus 6-15 1st-level rogues, 2-5 3rd-level rogues, and 1-3 5th level rogues or clerics)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral, often evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

This creature looks like a mountain goat that walks as a man. Long shaggy hair covering its entire body apart from its slender, human-like arms. Its head sports an impressive pair of curled horns.

Goatfolk live in small clans led a strong matriarch or patriarch. Each clan controls a particular valley or mountaintop, inhabiting caves or simple thatch-roofed stone huts. Goatfolk clans sometimes form alliances to pursue great prizes or survive times of trouble, but these seldom last long. Neighboring clans frequently feud with each other, which often results in weaker goatfolk clans leaving their territory before they are raided by a rival too powerful to face.

Goatfolk plant crops, hunt and forage to gain their food, with a few clans herding pigs and horses for meat. They are crude farmers and voracious hunters, whose overhunting and primitive agriculture often overloads their territory's ability to feed the goatfolk, forcing the clan to move on. When faced with starvation, clans of goatfolk may join together to form a large raiding force against their non-goatfolk neighbors, attacking lowland farms and villages to gain the food and supplies they need to feed their kin.

From time to time, goatfolk will join civilization, looking for work, a steady supply of food, or just a place to cause mischief. They most often find the latter.

Goatfolk speak Common and their own language, which has many dialects. Some goatfolk clans speak such different dialects they have difficulty understanding one another.

A goatfolk has the same height and weight as a human (their height does not include its horns).

COMBAT

Goatfolk prefer to attack when they are confident of victory due to superior numbers, making use of stealth and diversionary tactics to appear from unexpected locations and gain surprise. In melee, they concentrate on flanking in order to use their sneak attack ability, only ramming when it is especially advantageous.

Mountain Move (Ex): A goat folk moves at its full speed (tactical or overland) when crossing hills or mountains. Its movement is not hampered by mountainous difficult terrain, such as rocky slopes.

Ram (Ex): If a goatfolk hits with a gore attack as part of a charge, it can attempt to bull rush the opponent as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. The goat folk gets a +2 racial bonus on the bull rush's opposed Strength check, giving a typical goatfolk's ram attack a +2 check modifier.

Sneak Attack (Ex): This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. If a goatfolk gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Skills: A goatfolk has a +4 racial bonus to Climb checks. *Its racial bonus to Climb checks increases to +8 in hilly, mountainous or rocky terrain, and it can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks when climbing such terrain.

Goatfolk As Characters
Goatfolk characters possess the following racial traits.

• +4 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
  • Size Medium.
  • A goatfolk's base land speed is 40 ft.
  • Racial Hit Dice: A goatfolk begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +3.
  • Racial Skills: A goatfolk's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Move Silently, and Tumble.
  • Racial Feats: A goatfolk's monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat. It also has Weapon Focus (dagger) as a bonus feat.
  • +1 natural armor bonus.
  • +4 racial bonus on Climb checks, increased to +8 in hilly, mountainous or rocky terrain. A goatfolk can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks when climbing such terrain.
  • Special Attacks: Ram.
  • Special Qualities: Low-light vision, mountain move.
  • Automatic Languages: Common and Goatfolk. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Draconic, Giant, Goblin, Orc, and Rakasta.
  • Favored Class: Rogue.
  • Level Adjustment: +2.
Originally appeared in Savage Coast Monstrous Compendium Appendix (1996)

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Hmm, do we have any stats for a goat? That'd give us some basis for the stats.
The only official 3.5 D&D goat appears to be the one in Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene. That goat has Str 8, Dex 13, Con 11, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 5. There is also a "Goat, Trained Pack" version which has a higher Str of 11.

Hmmm, there's also a 3.0 Mountain Goat in Dungeon #83 . That one has Str 10, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 4.

What else might be useful from those stat blocks?

Cleon

Legend
The only official 3.5 D&D goat appears to be the one in Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene. That goat has Str 8, Dex 13, Con 11, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 5. There is also a "Goat, Trained Pack" version which has a higher Str of 11.

Hmmm, there's also a 3.0 Mountain Goat in Dungeon [URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=83]#83 [/URL] . That one has Str 10, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 4.

What else might be useful from those stat blocks?

I was trying to decide on an armour breakdown, so a natural armour bonus (if any) would be handy.

A size category would be handy, too.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I was trying to decide on an armour breakdown, so a natural armour bonus (if any) would be handy.

A size category would be handy, too.

The vanilla goat (and the trained pack goat) are both: size small; AC 13 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +1 natural). The 3.0 mountain goat is also: size small; AC 13 (+2 natural, +1 Dex) -- did some 3.0 stat blocks treat the size bonus as part of natural AC?

Cleon

Legend
The vanilla goat (and the trained pack goat) are both: size small; AC 13 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +1 natural). The 3.0 mountain goat is also: size small; AC 13 (+2 natural, +1 Dex) -- did some 3.0 stat blocks treat the size bonus as part of natural AC?

Thanks.

Two of those have a +1 NA, and one of them a +2 NA, so I would like to give the Goat Folk a small NA too. I'm thinking +1 NA together with a Dex of 14-15.

As for the rest of those stats. Making the above goats Medium-sized to match the Goatfolk's size would result in:

Man-Sized Goat Str 12, Dex 11, Con 13, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 5, NA +1
Man-Sized Pack Goat Str 15, Dex 11, Con 13, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 5, NA +1
Man-Sized Mountain Goat Str 14, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 4, NA +2

That's higher Str and lower Dex than the Goat Man description suggests. The Con 13 is fine, though.

How about taking Freyar's proposed physical ability scores (Str 10, Dex 16, Con 13) and lowering the Dex by -2?

As for mental stats, Freyar proposed average values (Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11), but I'd rather tweak them.

The Savage Coast Goat Men's description says they're "smarter than orcs but not as capable as humans", suggesting they're intermediate between a human and the SRD Orc's -2 Int, Wis & Cha.

Bruce Heard's goatlings have BECMI/AD&D ability adjustments of -1 Cha & Wis, +1 Str & Int.

SRD Half-Orcs have -2 Int & Cha, so how about giving the Goatfolk -2 Wis & Cha?

So, how about the following:

Goatfolk Str 10, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 9, NA +1

The 3.0 mountain goat is also: size small; AC 13 (+2 natural, +1 Dex) -- did some 3.0 stat blocks treat the size bonus as part of natural AC?

Regarding the Mountain Goat's missing size bonus, I think that's just a mistake.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The abilities and +1 NA seem ok, though I think I'd prefer a higher Dex still. What about Dex 15, Cha or Wis 8?

I just remembered that the yakfolk are monstrous humanoids, so I'd be happy with that type, too.

Special abilities: sneak attack, a bull-rushing "ram" attack, either a Climb speed or some kind of mountain move ability. And Weapon Finesse.

Cleon

Legend
The abilities and +1 NA seem ok, though I think I'd prefer a higher Dex still. What about Dex 15, Cha or Wis 8?

I just remembered that the yakfolk are monstrous humanoids, so I'd be happy with that type, too.

I have no objections to that, which gives us:

Goatfolk Str 11, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 8, NA +1

I'll update the Working Draft with that.

Special abilities: sneak attack.

I already have +1d6 sneak attack in the Working Draft.

Special abilities: *SNIP* a bull-rushing "ram" attack.

Bull-Rushing does seem the best fit to the described "Ram" attack. Maybe with a racial bonus to the check? Something like.
Ram (Ex): If a goatfolk hits with a gore attack as part of a charge, it can attempt to bull rush the opponent as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. The goat folk gets a +2 racial bonus on the bull rush's opposed Strength check, giving a typical goatfolk's ram attack a +2 check modifier.
Special abilities: *SNIP* either a Climb speed or some kind of mountain move ability.

The description suggests some kind of "Mountain Move" to me rather than a Climb speed, although I think the latter could work.
Mountain Move (Ex): A goat folk moves at its full speed (tactical or overland) when crossing hills or mountains. Its movement is not hampered by mountainous difficult terrain, such as rocky slopes.
They should probably have a racial bonus to Climb checks, although I'm wondering whether that might be limited to cliffs and the like.
Skills: A goatfolk has a +4 racial bonus to Climb checks. *Its racial bonus to Climb checks increases to +8 in hilly, mountainous or rocky terrain, and it can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks when climbing such terrain.
Weapon Finesse.

I'm leaning toward making that its regular feat, but we can leave that for later.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases