Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
These don't seem terribly balanced. Specifically, just about each one seems about as good as an action point. For example, 1 action point can stabilize you (as in the 10EP option) or 1 action point can add +1d6 to a single roll (avg 3.5 vs +1x3 in the 1EP option above). Maybe we should tone them down a bit.

Cleon

Legend
These don't seem terribly balanced. Specifically, just about each one seems about as good as an action point. For example, 1 action point can stabilize you (as in the 10EP option) or 1 action point can add +1d6 to a single roll (avg 3.5 vs +1x3 in the 1EP option above). Maybe we should tone them down a bit.

Well from what I remember of the 10 EP option it was more of a "defy death" ability rather than simply auto-succeeding on a stabilisation roll.

I'm thinking we could reduce the number of empowerment points, or cut the duration of the empowerment boost - make it a single attack rather than three round's worth, for example.

We could also place a HD/level cap on the abilities - i.e. no more than +1 attack/damage per three HD, so you need to be a 15 HD goatling to get the +5 to damage.

freyar

Well, removing at least some of the ability to stack would be a start. Maybe 1 EP per round of bonus would be good, too.

Cleon

Legend
Well, removing at least some of the ability to stack would be a start. Maybe 1 EP per round of bonus would be good, too.

Making the empowerment benefits enhancement bonuses will help keep things under control too, since it'll cut down on the stacking.

freyar

Making the empowerment benefits enhancement bonuses will help keep things under control too, since it'll cut down on the stacking.
True, at least then they wouldn't stack so much with magic weapons.

OK, then, first couple of options:
1 EP = +1 enhancement to attack bonus for 1 round
2 (or 1?) EP = +1 enhancement to damage for 1 round?

Cleon

Legend
True, at least then they wouldn't stack so much with magic weapons.

OK, then, first couple of options:
1 EP = +1 enhancement to attack bonus for 1 round
2 (or 1?) EP = +1 enhancement to damage for 1 round?

Hmm, I just noticed something about the original version. It gave a damage bonus for three successful hits. That's a lot more versatile, since misses don't use up the empowerment points.

Perhaps we should keep the concept and do something like:
  • Attack: For every empowerment point expended, the goatling gains a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls (including spells and natural weapons, maximum bonus +5). This empowerment expires after the goatling makes 3 attack rolls or X minutes have passed, whichever occurs first.
  • Damage: For every two empowerment point expended, the goatling gains a +1 enhancement bonus to damage rolls (including spells and natural weapons, maximum bonus +5). This empowerment expires after the goatling makes 3 damage rolls or X minutes have passed, whichever occurs first.
Hmm, that's not to bad and isn't that overpowering. To get the full +5 to attack and damage for three attacks it'd need to spend 15 empowerment points.

freyar

I think that having the bonus apply to three successful hits (either for attack or damage) is too much, at least if we want to keep the bonus to be worth less than an action point. An action point only does +1d6 to one d20 roll (at lower levels), so it's the same total bonus on average. Now, +1d6 to one roll is more valuable in some situations (depending on opponent's AC), but I thought we wanted to keep 1 EP significantly lower in power.

Cleon

Legend
I think that having the bonus apply to three successful hits (either for attack or damage) is too much, at least if we want to keep the bonus to be worth less than an action point. An action point only does +1d6 to one d20 roll (at lower levels), so it's the same total bonus on average. Now, +1d6 to one roll is more valuable in some situations (depending on opponent's AC), but I thought we wanted to keep 1 EP significantly lower in power.

So what are you after, a +1 per EP to its next attack/damage roll?

freyar

If attack/damage means "attack or damage," then yes.

So options like
  • Attack For every empowerment point expended, the goatling gains a +1 enhancement bonus to its next attack roll (including spells and natural weapons, maximum bonus +5). If the goatling does not make an attack roll within one round, the empowerment point is wasted.
  • Damage For every one/two?? empowerment point expended, the goatling gains a +1 enhancement bonus to damage rolls (including spells and natural weapons, maximum bonus +5). If the goatling does not make a damage roll within one round, the empowerment point is wasted.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases