Playing music while playing a RPG

Queranil

First Post
I’m curious if you have experience with music while playing a RPG (like D&D or Pathfinder). Do you ever play ambient background music to enhance the game? Would there be a site or company that makes/composes these types of tracks? And if not, would you be willing to buy music tracks that are made to enhance a game or are made specifically for the setting/adventure your are playing?
I’d appreciate any input and or experience.

Thanks!

PolterGhost

First Post
When my group used to game together in person (well, they still do, I'm the only one sitting behind a webcam eye) I played soundtracks in the background that went along with the game.

I'm a huge fan of dungeon crawlers, so I picked music that would enhance the mood. The OST to Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga is perhaps one of the greatest ones I've ever listened to. It has a lot of ambient soundtracks that are perfect for tense situations or for a good dungeon delve, and some rocking battle music and town themes for when things need to be spiced up or toned down. I'd also suggest the soundtrack to SMT: Strange Journey now that I've gotten a chance to listen to it.

The soundtrack to Final Fantasy VII is also a great one to play if you pick and choose the songs. It has tons of tense music that is perfect for a dungeon crawl, as well as some decent songs for other situations, though those tend to be nothing spectacular.

I'm not sure if anyone specifically produces music for use in RPGs. I do know that there have been some collections released for that purpose, however. If the music was good, and better than what I hear on a regular basis in different media, then perhaps I would purchase such a thing. But if it's subpar compared to a Star Wars OST that I can download, is it really worth my time and money?

Ahnehnois

First Post
Frankly I always found the idea of music while gaming rather bizarre. It seems like it would be distracting. It would also be more work for the DM, and a lot of thought would have to go into making it appropriate without giving away plot. I'm a big fan of TV/movie soundtracks but I don't see the appeal for D&D.

PolterGhost

First Post
That's why I run playlists, so that you can have a variety of different songs playing for the current mood. The goal is to get like 20 songs for each of the following moods so that you don't have to switch them out, you don't get fatigued from the same song over and over, and it's as easy as pressing a button to switch to another playlist:

-Tenseness
-Repose
-Action

Flip on the tense music when you're in the midst of a crawl, or if you're in one of those combat or decision-making scenes where the players are pushing their limits. Put on something lighter when it comes to just traveling around the countryside or in town. When the action gets heated up, throw on some faster music, more melodic than the tense soundtrack.

Thinking about it, I'd also look into some prog rock groups and pulling out instrumentals. Happy the Man has some good stuff, as well as Dream Theater.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
When I was in a game based on Final Fantasy 1, the DM as part of it had us play background music for the sessions. It was awesome, I really do miss having music with games, but it's not quite the same with the online gaming I've been relegated to since I left college. Having battle music especially was nice, and we'd of course end a successful fight with the iconic FF victory music.

shadzar

Banned
Banned
Due to many things, including music playing during game, causing players to be distracted I have a no electric device policy. Calculators only during gaming.

It works for some, not so much for others, because depending on the music people will get into the music more than the game.

Best if it has no lyrics and fits the mood of the current situation or area.

Forest
Town
Cave
Combat
Trail
etc

alms66

First Post
My rule as a GM is nothing at the table but gaming, period, as anything else causes too much distraction, including background music. If you need a calculator, that's fine, but other than that, just character sheets, not even RPG books at the table. I don't want you reading your latest purchase while you should be paying attention to the game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases