Just got Castles & Crusades--LOVE IT (hugs his copy)

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
So a few weeks ago, purely on impulse, I ordered Castles & Crusades, Player's Handbook and Monsters & Treasures. Not the most recent printing/version, but the one that looks like this:

http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/d20/ccphb2.htm

The books were super cheap (bought them from a used bookseller through amazon.com).

All I can say so far, after flipping through the books for an hour or so, is . . . wow. This game truly is what I've been looking for. I may finally migrate from AD&D 2e after finding 3.x and Pathfinder too unweildy, and D&D B/X too limiting.

Anyway, not a lot to say right now. Have to do some serious reading. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
I think there is a conversion document to the latest iteration of the player's handbook, if you are interested (new versions of the Barbarian (fixing the rage feature) and Monk, new spells for the illusionist).

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
Hmmm. Okay, still love it, but what's with the +1 in experience points needed to level up? Like, instead of needing 2000 XP for Level 2 you need 2001, etc.

Curious little detail.

I love the classes and the tribute to Gary Gygax right on the front page.

More to come.

Treebore

First Post
Thats to make it clear you level up at 2001 XP, not 2000.

I hope your able to give it a spin soon.

There are also a lot of good resources on the TLG forums. Like the Netbook of Classes, a lot of folklore monsters and demons and devils written up for C&C, plus house rules documents you may find of interest. Not to mention the basic guidelines for "converting" various editions of D&D to C&C.

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
That was in AD&D 1st edition. Did it not also appear in AD&D 2nd edition? Anyhow, that would be the easiest house rule ever, I think. :)

Heh. It doesn't bother me at all, and now that you mention it, it *was* in AD&D 1e. Not 2e, though. (Unless my memory is really out of whack, I guess . . . :uhoh:)

Anyway, I like very much that different classes advance at different rates. Never actually liked the "one size fits all" XP advancement of 3.x.

Remove ads