Arendel’s Serpent's Skull Journal. (Complete! 06/25/13, With Pictures!)

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 23.​

The Explorers of Saventh-Yhi are

Arendel Whisperson – Human Fire Elemental Wizard 9 (Abciximab)
Max “Little” Hammer – Human Fighter/Rogue 6/3 (Peteinmaine)
Ka’Azbu – Human M’Wangi Ranger 8 (Dave)
Acemodius and Kay Es – Tiefling Summoner 8 and his Eidolon. (Mundinironhand)
Taraz - Aasimar Oracle of Life 8 (Adam B.)
N’Ketchi – Human Cleric 6 (NPC)
Gelik – Gnome Bard (NPC)

A little more exploration wraps up one district. It looks like not only are we exploring the city but discovering “Lost Secrets”, magic items that are specific to Saventh-Yhi (The Rings and Elixir).

Looks like the Dragon really wasn’t a Dragon? I’m not 100% sure on this one, I suspect the Chimera was what we saw, but there could be something else flying around. Not sure which District we are in, but with the presence of Warehouses, I suspect it might be one that is associated with finances or work (Eager Striving?). I expect we’ll find out when we get to the Spear (Did I mention each district has a spear?).

More Red Mantis Assassins, I’m not sure what they’re on about. Someone must have hired them. I don’t think the Red Mantis (Plural... hmmm... Manti?) as a group would have an interest in the lost city. We certainly have a list of enemies to choose from.

I believe we are up to 3 Discovery Points! At this rate I can only assume the exploration of Saventh-Yhi wraps up at the end of the campaign.

I'm glad to have learned Teleport as one of my 5th level spells. It'll make buying/selling equipment a lot easier (Now that we actually have stuff to sell).

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 24.​

Lamashan the 15th.

Before we left camp this morning, Amivor met us for a quick briefing. He acknowledged the presence of Red Mantis in the region. Apparently they have a camp north-east of our location. He asked us not to “go looking for trouble” and not “sabotage their work here”. His comments imply that he believes their mission here is to explore Saventh-Yhi. I had thought their mission was to kill us and stop us from exploring Saventh-Yhi. Well, in any event we shall avoid direct confrontation for now and continue our exploration.

Amivor also mentioned there is still a possibility that a Dragon does live within the ruin, so we should be prepared for that likelihood. He told us the Pathfinders plan to send an exploratory force into the Military District today now that the threat level in that part of the city is within acceptable limits.

I was able to purchase a few scrolls to scribe into my spellbook to augment my growing powers. I am quite pleased to have gained a spell that allows me to Fly for a good portion of the day.

Our exploration of what appears to be the mercantile district continues. We heard a noise from a nearby building early on and opened the door to find a swarm of rats within. A quick fan of flames eliminated that threat and we entered the building to investigate.

A stone stairwell led downward to a basement made up of a number of short halls and small rooms. One of the rooms held a sarcophagus that had been broken open. The others continued on as I inspected the Sarcophagus, so I was not directly involved in what happened next.

The next room appeared to be an alchemical lab and the sole occupant took exception to our interruption of his work. A wave of fear washed over the group and I heard Max strike something with his hammer (a sound I have become quite familiar with) and Taraz call upon the power of Sarenrae in Aklo (until very recently, the only language he could speak in moments of stress for some strange reason, but he has now added Ignan to the mix). I never got to see it up and about as it was destroyed by the time I entered the room, but there on the floor were the remains of a Mummy. Apparently it had been walking around until just moments before I came in.

Within the room we found a few scrolls and potions, but more interestingly, we found an ancient longsword. Wave Cutter was the name etched upon the blade in Azlanti. Apparently quite useful underwater, but alas, no one in the group uses such a blade. We shall give it to the Pathfinders for a suitable reward (they have proven quite generous when it comes to rewarding us for items recovered from the ruin).

We found little else and continued on our way with this district’s spear as our goal. We passed the remains of many merchant houses and trading companies before we finally reached the spear. The markings indicate this spear is the Spear of Wealth. We spotted an area of the supporting ziggurat that had collapsed and formed a large opening. Upon investigation we found the cave to be the roost of a gargantuan bat. It was a little disconcerting, but once I had cast Haste upon the group it was quickly defeated. Upon examining the cave I came to the conclusion that I shall never run out of one of the material components for my Fireball spell while we are near Saventh-Yhi. We found nothing else of value within.

We proceed up the ziggurat to the base of the spear. We noted many references to the god Abadar and found the relevant information on how to activate the spear.

Much like the last spear, there were three ways.

1. Anoint the spear with expensive oils and salves made from powdered gems.

2. Have a cleric that worships a deity of merchants or wealth channel energy into the spear.

3. Perform a complex ceremony that involves evaluating and counting treasure in front of the spear.

None of these are likely to happen given our resources and skill set.

The ziggurat also gave us a good view of the surrounding area. We noted a building on an island to the south, a fortified building on a small peninsula to the east and an island in a swamp to the north-west. It was about the middle of the day, so after taking a break, we decided to loop back toward camp.

Our path to the spear had brought us through the center of the district and yesterday we had explored the eastern edge along the central lake, so we opted to follow a path along the western edge of the city and investigate the swamp along the way. We reached the edge of the swampland where the island was close by, only about fifteen feet across the open water at its narrowest point. The isle was covered with the broken skeletal remains of many crocodiles. Max jumped across to investigate while the rest of us stood ready (none of those remaining could have made the jump safely and none wanted to enter the water given the apparent prevalence of crocodiles in the area).

Sure enough, a gargantuan crocodile appeared out of the water on the far side of the island. Ace was able to blind it momentarily, giving Max time to drink a few potions to prepare for battle. Then a great battle ensued. Ace summoned a few more crocs into the mix (on our side of course) and Max waded into battle. As I flew up and seared it with a Fireball the great beast grabbed Max within its jaws and moments later, swallowed him whole. We all feared this was the end for Max, but only a few moments later he emerged from the belly of the beast, slashing his way through its hide with a dagger. A truly amazing feat!

The crocodile was critically wounded at that point and my two Scorching Rays finished it off. I think Max was disappointed not to have struck the killing blow, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. I shall never understand the Shoanti mindset.

We returned to camp to report our findings to Amivor and rest.

----------​

Lamashan the 16th.

Amivor has verified much of our findings from the Mercantile District and has also informed us that their research has shown that only one spear at a time can be active within the city.

We have decided to start our exploration at the fortified structure near the central lake. The markings on the building indicate the building was once a treasury. I chose not to share this information, primarily because I knew Max would be extremely disappointed if it had already been looted. As perceptive as he is, he did note carvings that showed individuals counting coins. I was able to convince him they were gambling.

Sure enough, the interior was devoid of anything of value. As Ace, Max and Kay’Es went up to investigate the second floor, Taraz and I investigated one of the rooms below. We really should know better than to split the party. Moments later a Shadow attacked us. Between Taraz’s channeling and my magical Force Punch it didn’t stand a chance. We quickly ran upstairs to see if the others had run into trouble, but they seemed to have things well in hand.

While investigating a second room upstairs we encountered a Greater Shadow. It drained much of Max’s strength before we were able to destroy it. Luckily Taraz was able to Restore Max’s strength using a little of the Diamond Dust we had purchased only yesterday. Once more, though he had been drained to a point where he was actually weaker than I, Max seemed to revel in the new challenges and experiences presented by this encounter. I have never seen anyone enjoy almost dying and becoming an undead abomination as much as Max. As he takes great pride in his strength, I think he would not have enjoyed it as much had the damage been permanent. I thank the gods that it was not.

We shall now rest through the hottest part of the day before we continue. I think the large building upon the isle to the south shall be our next objective.

Last edited:

Peteinmaine

First Post
Tavern Tales

We are still exploring the old city. It's kind of cool to be in such a big place with no people in the way. That and everything living we run into tries to kill us...I don't even have to challenge things to fight me, they come running out to do it all by themselves.

First we fought some rats...(I don't like rats and mice...they're little and squirmy) Then we went in the basement and found some old dead guy trying to use bandages as armor. That didn't work out so well for him. Ace tried to convince me it was my mom... I can't believe he thought I'd fall for it.

Then we went up to check out the spear. There was a huge bat...gross like a mouse with wings...at least it was too big to be squirmy...it tried to grab me.

Next up we went to check out an island covered in crocodile bones...An enormous crocodile attacked...I readied myself to battle, but before I could get a decent swing it grabbed me in it's mouth! I couldn't even get my hammer flying enough to hit it, I pulled my dagger, and just when I was about to cut it something good it swallowed me! I almost panicked as I could feel my bones crushing and it's teeth cutting me open. I pushed and stabbed at it's throat and hoped for a soft spot wide enough for me to slash my way out, then I saw a glint of daylight where I had stabbed it! The sun never felt so good as I used all my strength to widen the hole and pull free! I got to my feet prepared to deliver a hellish blow to it, and just as I brought my hammer about Arendel felled the beast with his magical fire...While I was disappointed not to be able to show the beast my true might, I was near collapse from my injuries and greatful to have survived the ordeal...

We then headed to a big building that I was hoping was full of money...it looked like an important building. It wasn't, but we got attacked by some shadowy dead ghost thingies...one of them was tough...every time it touched me, I felt myself getting weaker and weaker....I could barely get my hammer off the ground by the time the damned thing dissipated into the air...another great battle!!! The nasties we have fought this day have really shown some mettle!~ Perhaps I will find more worthy opponents tomorrow!! The folks back home will never believe all these stories, but I'll be able to show them all my great treasures! My bear cloak! and the shrunken monkey head! The head from the goat, dragon, lion thingee! the picture I drew of the hot chicks that were hanging out with the succubus!...

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 24.​

Wow, looks like they grown ‘em big in these parts! Two Gargantuan animals in one session.

GM Soanso has purchased the Paper Minis for this portion of the AP and they are pretty cool if anyone is looking for a cheap alternative to Plastic/Metal minis. I like that the picture matches the creature in every encounter. If it hadn’t been for them, we would have been using dragons for bats and crocs (not that there’s anything wrong with that, it just eliminates the “What is it?” questions and the answers where you try to explain what it is without necessarily saying exactly what it is).

The only downside is that when they are that big, the paper base tends to sag a little when elevated and the space the creature occupies can be hard to visualize (even with Cardstock, though I suppose you could glue cardboard to the bottom for added rigidity). I think this can be a problem with all flying creatures larger than Medium sized to some extent. The Bat “Five Foot Flapped” up at an angle (to the mouth of the cave) and I found it a little confusing (“Uh, what just happened?”). No big deal really and easily explained, but there were a lot of, “where exactly is he in relation to me” questions that round.

As an aside, I must say, I think I have come to like the term “Shift” better than “Five Foot Step”.

The Crocodile was a cool encounter. I don’t think I’ve seen the Grab/Swallow Whole/Cut Free scenario in pathfinder up to this point. It was cool that Max came through it alive (at 12 hp), the “Oh Crap! He’s a Goner!/Yay! He’s Safe!” rollercoaster made for an epic encounter. I also found it funny that the Super-Croc whose diet of choice was other crocs managed to swallow the party member whose Animal Spirit is a Crocodile. Looks like Karma Stabbed the Gargantuan Croc in the Gut.

Edit: Max has informed me that it was not this Karma guy (whoever he is) that stabbed the Gargantuan Crocodile. It was, in fact, Max.

Last edited:

Abciximab

Explorer
Session 25.​

Lamashan the 16th (Cont).

As we approached the island we spotted a Chimera with a green dragon head fly to the tower of the citadel on the small island. We were able to approach unseen along the wooded shore and wade through the shallow water out to the isle.

We entered through the main doors to find a hall littered with bones. The noise generated by the less stealthy members of our group (I fear I fall onto that category) must have alerted the Chimera, as he flew into the room through a hole in the ceiling and attacked.

I warded as many as I could against its acidic breath. The creature was quickly defeated and I feared my spell had been a waste. My opinion on that matter changed as we climbed to the roof of the keeps tower and found not one, but two more Chimera, one with a green dragon head and another with a red dragon head. Max was quite happy as he hopes to have as many different colors as possible to have stuffed and mounted.

It was a tough fight, but we were victorious. Max, always the honorable warrior, asked my permission to collect the red dragon head as I was the one to strike the killing blow. As I see all such things as a group effort I, of course, conceded any perceived rights to the trophy. There were many other useful things scattered about the creature’s lair, including a Spellbook from one Edrin Lekanus, a wizard who had served the Aspis Consortium until an unfortunate encounter with one of the acid breathing chimeras, if the state of his remains are any indication. We also found a Handy Haversack that will help store more equipment without increasing in weight. Perhaps I can stop stashing things in Max’s backpack now. He has been quite a good sport about it up to this point.

We made our way back to camp. I shall have to spend all my free time studying and transcribing spells for quite some time to come, I believe.

----------​

Lamashan the 17th.

Amivor informs us that scouts have confirmed the Merchant District is clear enough for the Pathfinders to take over exploration and we have moved on to a new district on the large central island. Many of the markings seem to indicate this was the Legal District. As we crossed the only remaining long, stone bridges from the Military District and first entered the area, we were attacked by stealthy Serpent-Folk. They seemed a little different than the others we have faced, perhaps a more primitive breed.

We made our way around the north-western portion of the isle and then cut toward the center where the district’s spear stood atop the ever present ziggurat. In some places, over the ancient stone glyphs that marked the spear, someone had carved the likeness of a crocodile headed humanoid. The artist’s detailed rendition of the creatures backwards bending fingers leads me to believe it is the image of a Rakshasa. This does not bode well.

While taking in the sights, we were accosted by Serpent-Folk once more. It is approaching just after noon. We now rest under the shade of the spire.

Peteinmaine

First Post
More from paradise

Today we beat up viciously on more serpents. These relied less on magic and more on brute force. I liked them...dead. Yesterday we fought more Chimeras. Ace surprised me by charging into battle with his spear. Even downing a chimera in straight combat. While I'm not sure he understands why, I had the head mounted for him. I am making the taxidermist for the pathfinders a wealthy man. We were also able to slay a chimera with the head of a red dragon. Arendel's spells are getting much more powerful, I will have to hit harder to feel that I'm needed, perhaps more precision in my blows... at any rate I stood eye to eye with the beast and Arendel dealt it's death, he graced me with the trophy for facing it...I now have a red and a green, I seek the head of a true dragon next, I must arrange storage or shipment to my village. I wish to tell that I am walking in my father's footsteps and despite our lands being in peace, I am still a mighty warrior, worthy of carrying the family hammer...
I am asking around the pathfinder camp for an artist who can make the teeth of that monstrous crocodile into something memorable for me to carry...I haven't decided what yet, perhaps an amulet and perhaps paying to have it enchanted in the manner the one I'm wearing that makes me thick skinned does...as I had to be thick skinned to get eaten by that beast and live.

Abciximab

Explorer
End of Session 25.​

Wow, it takes a long time to transcribe spells from one spellbook to another. Copying just the spells I want will take a total of 95 hours and 2865gp worth of scribing material. It’s expensive being a Wizard.

The exploration is moving along nicely, I think we’ll take a day (possibly a day and a half, since we are only halfway through a day at the moment) to rest, recuperate and get our stuff together. I hope to purchase scribing material (as much as I can afford) and scribe the most interesting/useful spells. Hopefully the others will have something useful to do (or enjoy the downtime). I’ve offered Teleport trips for any large purchases they might have planned. I know Max is eagerly awaiting his Enchanted Mithral Armor.

We finally had a relatively full table (5+1 GM, at the beginning at least) and 5 characters present for the first time in ages. Peteinmaine tells me that Max is enjoying expressing himself in journal form and may take a rank in Linguistics to represent his gains in Common as a Second Language (Shoanti being his First of course).

Peteinmaine

First Post
All that partying...

We were up late at camp, and as such I dragged my feet a little catching up with the group, and they found a bunch more snake people. I came in to help, but they were largely already dealt with. Then we found some prisoners which we freed. The prisoners told us there was a 'beast' to fight in a pool outside. I couldn't wait. The pool that the giant snake monster lived in was murky and dirty. I found a potion of water walking in my back pack and wandered out onto the skummy surface of the pool. We could see the large form moving aroung under me and KS who was skimming the surface of the water with his wings and fingertips trying to bait the snake. Finally we threw a spare body into the water between KS and I and the snake broke the surface and bit me...Not a huge bite, and I watched as the poison bubbled out of the wound and was washed away by the wave the monster broke over me. With KS behind it to help distract it, and Arendel's spell making my hammer spin much faster, I landed three resounding blows to the hideous beast, and watched as it splashed back into the pool never to surface again. Then Ace summoned a water elemental to swim around and bring us all the shiny stuff on the bottom...it was pretty cool.

Part of me wishes I could swim down and gain some kind of memento from the beast, but I think like the old gardener who lived near our farm used to say...

'Little Max...when I was growing up in Latin Shoanti, before I came North to your land for work and opportunity...sometimes just walking on water is enough.' I think his name was Hay Zeus..powerful name, great gardener.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
'Little Max...when I was growing up in Latin Shoanti, before I came North to your land for work and opportunity...sometimes just walking on water is enough.' I think his name was Hay Zeus..powerful name, great gardener.

:p I'm falling off the chair here.

Remove ads