HM's Carrion Crown AP - OOC

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Thanks for explaining the +3 point buys at later levels. I think I understand.

I agree with Mowgli on the HP issue. Option #3 but perhaps an explanation of the reasoning would help to be better informed.

So far it looks like we are going to be pretty mixed based on initial ideas. Having a cleric is good for primary healing and we can get secondary from an Inquisitor and Witch possibilities. With a Fighter and a Ranger for front line and the Rogue and Sorcerer in the back our tactics should be good.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Not quite sure how I feel about the HP options, to a certain extent I think it depends upon how you plan to alter the AP for gestalt - if at all. On balance I do prefer not to roll HP, but its not too big a deal for me.

We are running with Hero Points in my Kingmaker game and I am really enjoying them so far. If I remember correctly there is an option to spend them to avoid dying, but it might take two. Anyway I rather like them.

I'm going to force myself to avoid summoner - I already run two - and had been thinking of a fighter Cleric. Or possibly an Paladin Oracle if someone else is planning to go Cleric.

- I really can't plan anything (which is a bummer) as I haven't seen the first module or the others to know what to expect. That is going to really change the way I normally do things. Normally I would find spots in the adventure and give you goals to complete to achieve a lvl up. But not knowing if there will be anything to use like that well will make it hard.

- I am using Hero Points in my Age of Worms game but not used as of yet. You are right it takes two to stop yourself from bleeding out. :p

- Please do and I hope everyone else tries really hard a s well. I see summoners as a character and a half (if the eidolon is built for combat).

Speaking to the HP options, it would help if we knew what your goal is. Do you want to give a bump to HP at all levels? A big bump at first followed by a smaller increase for later levels?

Of the ones you presented, I like #3 the best. It keeps things simple, gives a decent bump at first level to enhance resistance to that single crit kill and provides slightly better than average HP/Level as we level up. I also like it because the 'slightly better than average' is better for higher HD classes - for a d6 class it's actually right at average, for a d8 it's +1.5/level, d10 is +2.5/Level, and d12 is +3.5/Level.

Regarding Hero Points, I really like 'em. I'm using them in both of the APs I run. I personally don't like the feats and items that go along with them, though. I think using those options puts too much focus on what (to me) should be a neat side option used to save your bacon or get something done that would be otherwise nigh on impossible.

-My goal?? My goal is always the same. GOAL = Have fun :D

The HP were to help with survivability and to keep all four players up in a fight. Being just four of you will limit actions and if someone drops due to a bad hit from a battle axe. Then you are really stuck with minimum actions in a round. And I figure since you have two classes we should do something with each. Also experimenting is fun, for me the experimenter but maybe not so much for you the experimentiee. :p

Thanks for explaining the +3 point buys at later levels. I think I understand.

I agree with Mowgli on the HP issue. Option #3 but perhaps an explanation of the reasoning would help to be better informed.

So far it looks like we are going to be pretty mixed based on initial ideas. Having a cleric is good for primary healing and we can get secondary from an Inquisitor and Witch possibilities. With a Fighter and a Ranger for front line and the Rogue and Sorcerer in the back our tactics should be good.

-Your welcome

- No reason other than those above.

- I think a primary Cleric would be good as well. Channel Energy will again help with a small group.

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
AFg's question has led me to thinking. And I will put this before all of you to see what you wish to do.

Normally with a module I will clip and cut at it for pbp. I will take out anything I see as extras and might slow the game down. Treasure will be rerouted into other encounters or found in totally random secret hiding places. And XP would be dropped for a system of here's your goal to reach the next Level (this keeps players focused and not out looking to pick bar fights for extra XP).

But not having the modules in advance (would need at least the first three I would say) that may be problematic for me. And I say that because I see some fast posters in this group. ;) I will not be surprised if we are waiting around on a module to get to me should we be ready to start the day I get the first one, LOL.

But then the fact you all do post pretty regularly gives me the option not to cut up the module and in fact if we don't stray to far off we could play it in full. But that would be up tp you. You all know that the module will have enough combat, skill challenges, etc. for level ups. And as we advance they will be numerous.

So this long windedness is just to ask - Should I modify the module for pbp or let it ride?

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Regarding methods of leveling the characters, there are a couple of ways you can go with an AP.

Paizo writes them with an 'Advancement Track', giving you a good estimation of where you should be at certain points of each installment. In my Legacy of Fire game I'm not keeping up with XP very carefully, rather I'm using the Advancement Track to keep the characters in line. This frees me up to throw in the occasional random encounter or oddball NPC without worrying about the extra experience getting the encounter balance out of whack. (I don't take anything out but I may toss extras in for purposes of getting a stalled section moving again, giving a clue to the PCs, or managing (using up) their resources if they start playing the 15 minute adventuring day).

The APs written for Pathfinder (everything from Council of Thieves on) use the Medium advancement speed, and encounters are written and placed to keep the characters generally on track for the APs level assumptions. In Serpent's Skull I'm keeping up with XP (so far) and plan to advance you guys that way; but this plan may change, as I'm liking the way LoF is working out.

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I would strongly recommend that you not cut up the adventures, for a few reasons.

First, Paizo are masters of tying long adventures together. In every AP I've read there are ties from one part of an AP installment to another, and then ties between installments as well. What happens at later points is often dependent on choices characters make - sometimes minor ones - earlier on. Changing things up is a quick way to lose track of what's going on.

Second, Adventure Paths are definitely marathons, not sprints. There's a depth to them that's lacking in shorter runs, and I'd really like the freedom to explore that a little rather than playing it out as a run from one encounter to another.

Third, unlike LPF where there's some pressure to move from adventure to adventure in order to continually take part in the development of the world, in an AP we're going to be playing the same characters and interacting with the same PCs throughout. It's one long adventure, so there's not the same need to 'wrap it up.'

IMO, the most important thing regarding pace in an AP is going to be to keep the activity (posting) level to at least one or two a day - in general - in order to keep the story flowing.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
This will be my first AP run as a DM but I have heard good things on them. So I was leaning towards running it as is. Your mention of links in adventures to come is what has me worried about starting and then cutting and screwing up the adventures that come out later.

Also most modules I am running now on pbp I have ran in RL so I know kind of what can go and what needs to stay.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I would agree that there should be no need to cut or trim the adventure. Under normal circumstances, even during dungeon crawling, I am posting daily. I am the person that cannot let an IC thread go too long without making sure my name is listed as the last poster.

I did take some notes during CotSQ on how to keep things moving in a dungeon crawl, but I don't think we need an SOP like that game was using. But I do see using a little artificial DM advancement to speed up exploring, but that should be it.

If we are communicating regularly on the OOC thread about scene advancement, there won't be a need to drag things out. That is an important element I find missing at EnWorld that I have found key to successful PbP flow. That way players and DM are in sync and there is none of that, "I was waiting for him to post", "Oh, I was waiting for you to post" business.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
(To make Gestalt classes work in HeroLab I have to create them as a single class. This one (Inquisitor/Rogue Gestalt) I named an Emissary.)

For background, I'd prefer to wait on most of it until the Player's Guide comes out. However, I'm thinking that Pharasma's Inquisitors all belong to a special sect within her church called 'The Dedicated.' Within the devoted are several different specializations, one of which are the Emissaries.

[sblock=HALAL ARNYEKA]HALAL ARNYEKA CR 1/2
Male Tengu Emissary 1
NN Medium Humanoid (Tengu)
Hero Points 1
Init +2; Senses Low-Light Vision; Perception +8
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 13. . (+3 armor, +2 Dex, +1 dodge)
hp 12 (1d8); Judgement of Sacred Healing 1
Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +4
Defensive Abilities Judgement of Sacred Protection +1; DR Judgement of Sacred Resiliency 1: Magic; Resist Judgement of Sacred Purity +1, Judgement of Sacred Resistance 2 (Cold)
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 30 ft.
Melee Bite (Tengu) -5 (1d3/20/x2) and
. . Cestus +0 (1d4+1/19-20/x2) and
. . Dagger +0 (1d4+1/19-20/x2) and
. . Sap +0 (1d6+1/20/x2) and
. . Sawtooth Sabre +0 (1d8+1/19-20/x2) and
. . Sawtooth Sabre +0 (1d8+1/19-20/x2)
Ranged Shortbow +2 (1d6/20/x3)
Special Attacks Bleeding Touch 1 rounds (5/day), Judgement of Sacred Destruction +1, Judgement of Sacred Justice +1, Judgement of Sacred Piercing +1, Judgement of Sacred Smiting (Magic), Sneak Attack +1d6
Spell-Like Abilities Bleeding Touch 1 rounds (5/day)
Emissary Spells Known (CL 1, +0 melee touch, +2 ranged touch):
1 (2/day) Shield of Faith, Cure Light Wounds (DC 13)
0 (at will) Resistance, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Sift
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 10
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 14
Feats Combat Expertise +/-1
Traits Sacred Touch
Skills Acrobatics +5, Climb +0, Disable Device +6, Escape Artist +1, Fly +1, Intimidate +1, Knowledge: Local +6, Knowledge: Nature +6, Knowledge: Religion +6, Knowledge: The Planes +6, Linguistics +10, Perception +8, Ride +1, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +7, Survival +6, Swim +0 Modifiers Monster Lore
Languages Celestial, Common, Infernal, Skald, Tengu, Varisian
SQ Emissary Domain: Death, Hero Points (1), Judgement (1/day) (Su), Trapfinding +1
Combat Gear Studded Leather, Dagger (2), Shortbow, Arrows (20), Sawtooth Sabre, Sawtooth Sabre, Cestus, Sap; Other Gear Backpack, Masterwork (4 @ 7.5 lbs), Potion of Cure Light Wounds, Rations, trail (per day) (2), Rope, silk (50 ft.), Soap, Bar (50 uses), Thieves' tools, Wrist sheath, spring loaded (2)
--------------------
TRACKED RESOURCES
--------------------
Arrows - 0/20
Bleeding Touch 1 rounds (5/day) (Sp) - 0/5
Dagger - 0/2
Judgement (1/day) (Su) - 0/1
Potion of Cure Light Wounds - 0/1
--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Bleeding Touch 1 rounds (5/day) (Sp) Melee touch attack deals 1d6 bleeding damage.
Combat Expertise +/-1 Bonus to AC in exchange for an equal penalty to attack.
Emissary Domain: Death Granted Powers: You can cause the living to bleed at a touch, and find comfort in the presence of the dead.
Hero Points (1) Hero Points can be spent at any time to grant a variety of bonuses.
Judgement (1/day) (Su) Variable bonuses increase as the combat continues.
Judgement of Sacred Destruction +1 (Su) Weapon Damage bonus.
Judgement of Sacred Healing 1 (Su) Fast Healing
Judgement of Sacred Justice +1 (Su) Attack bonus
Judgement of Sacred Piercing +1 (Su) Concentration and vs. SR bonus
Judgement of Sacred Protection +1 (Su) AC bonus
Judgement of Sacred Purity +1 (Su) Save bonus
Judgement of Sacred Resiliency 1: Magic (Su) DR/magic
Judgement of Sacred Resistance 2: Cold (Su) Energy Resistances
Judgement of Sacred Smiting (Magic) (Su) DR bypass
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Monster Lore +2 (Ex) +2 to Knowledge checks when identifying the weaknessess of creatures.
Sacred Touch You were exposed to a potent source of positive energy as a child, perhaps by being born under the right cosmic sign, or maybe because one of your parents was a gifted healer. As a standard action, you may automatically stabilize a dying creature mer
Sneak Attack +1d6 +1d6 damage if you flank your target or your target is flat-footed.
Trapfinding +1 +1 to find or disable traps.

Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com![/sblock]

[sblock=HALAL ARNYEKA (Level 5)]HALAL ARNYEKA CR 4
Male Tengu Emissary 5
NN Medium Humanoid (Tengu)
Hero Points 1
Init +5; Senses Low-Light Vision; Perception +12
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 21, touch 14, flat-footed 17. . (+7 armor, +3 Dex, +1 dodge)
hp 41 (5d8+5); Judgement of Sacred Healing 2
Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +6
Defensive Abilities Evasion, Judgement of Sacred Protection +2, Trap Sense +1, Uncanny Dodge; DR Judgement of Sacred Resiliency 2: Magic; Resist Judgement of Sacred Purity +2, Judgement of Sacred Resistance 4 (Cold)
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 30 ft.
Melee +1 Sawtooth Sabre +4 (1d8+2/19-20/x2) and
. . +1 Sawtooth Sabre +4 (1d8+2/19-20/x2) and
. . Bite (Tengu) +0 (1d3/20/x2) and
. . Cestus +5 (1d4+1/19-20/x2) and
. . Dagger +5 (1d4+1/19-20/x2)
Ranged Masterwork Longbow, Composite (Str +1) +7 (1d8+1/20/x3)
Special Attacks Bane (+2 / 2d6) (5 rounds/day) (5 rounds/day), Bleeding Touch 2 rounds (5/day), Judgement of Sacred Destruction +2, Judgement of Sacred Justice +2, Judgement of Sacred Piercing +2, Judgement of Sacred Smiting (Magic), Sneak Attack +3d6
Spell-Like Abilities Bleeding Touch 2 rounds (5/day), Detect Alignment (At will), Discern Lies (5 rounds/day)
Emissary Spells Known (CL 5, +3 melee touch, +6 ranged touch):
2 (3/day) Restoration, Lesser, Consecrate, Cure Moderate Wounds (DC 14)
1 (5/day) Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Hide from Undead, Cure Light Wounds (DC 13)
0 (at will) Resistance, Disrupt Undead, Acid Splash, Light, Guidance, Sift
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 10
Base Atk +3; CMB +4; CMD 18
Feats Combat Expertise +/-1, Double Slice, Gang Up, Precise Strike, Two-weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse
Traits Sacred Touch
Skills Acrobatics +10, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Disable Device +12, Escape Artist +2, Fly +2, Intimidate +7, Knowledge: Arcana +7, Knowledge: Dungeoneering +7, Knowledge: Local +7, Knowledge: Nature +7, Knowledge: Religion +7, Knowledge: The Planes +7, Linguistics +13, Perception +12, Ride +2, Sense Motive +10, Stealth +12, Survival +10, Swim +0, Use Magic Device +8 Modifiers Monster Lore
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Infernal, Kelish, Shoanti, Skald, Tengu, Varisian
SQ Emissary Domain: Death, Hero Points (1), Judgement (2/day) (Su), Solo Tactics (Ex), Teamwork Feat (change 2/day), Track +2, Trapfinding +2
Combat Gear Cestus, +1 Mithral Agile Breastplate, +1 Sawtooth Sabre, +1 Sawtooth Sabre, Masterwork Longbow, Composite (Str +1), Dagger (2); Other Gear Handy Haversack (5 @ 8.5 lbs), Potion of Cure Light Wounds (4), Rations, trail (per day) (2), Rope, silk (50 ft.), Soap, Bar (50 uses), Thieves' tools, Wrist sheath, spring loaded (2)
--------------------
TRACKED RESOURCES
--------------------
Bane (+2 / 2d6) (5 rounds/day) (5 rounds/day) (Su) - 0/5
Bleeding Touch 2 rounds (5/day) (Sp) - 0/5
Dagger - 0/2
Discern Lies (5 rounds/day) (Sp) - 0/5
Judgement (2/day) (Su) - 0/2
Potion of Cure Light Wounds - 0/4
Teamwork Feat (change 2/day) - 0/2
--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Bane (+2 / 2d6) (5 rounds/day) (5 rounds/day) (Su) Make the weapon you are holding a bane weapon.
Bleeding Touch 2 rounds (5/day) (Sp) Melee touch attack deals 1d6 bleeding damage.
Combat Expertise +/-1 Bonus to AC in exchange for an equal penalty to attack.
Detect Alignment (At will) (Sp) Detect chaos, evil, good, or law at will.
Discern Lies (5 rounds/day) (Sp) Discern Lies at will
Emissary Domain: Death Granted Powers: You can cause the living to bleed at a touch, and find comfort in the presence of the dead.
Evasion (Ex) If you succeed at a Reflex save for half damage, you take none instead.
Gang Up You are considered to be flanking your target if another ally is also adjacent to that target
Hero Points (1) Hero Points can be spent at any time to grant a variety of bonuses.
Judgement (2/day) (Su) Variable bonuses increase as the combat continues.
Judgement of Sacred Destruction +2 (Su) Weapon Damage bonus.
Judgement of Sacred Healing 2 (Su) Fast Healing
Judgement of Sacred Justice +2 (Su) Attack bonus
Judgement of Sacred Piercing +2 (Su) Concentration and vs. SR bonus
Judgement of Sacred Protection +2 (Su) AC bonus
Judgement of Sacred Purity +2 (Su) Save bonus
Judgement of Sacred Resiliency 2: Magic (Su) DR/magic
Judgement of Sacred Resistance 4: Cold (Su) Energy Resistances
Judgement of Sacred Smiting (Magic) (Su) DR bypass
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Monster Lore +2 (Ex) +2 to Knowledge checks when identifying the weaknesses of creatures.
Precise Strike +1d6 precision damage for melee attacks if you and an ally with this feat flank the same target.
Sacred Touch You were exposed to a potent source of positive energy as a child, perhaps by being born under the right cosmic sign, or maybe because one of your parents was a gifted healer. As a standard action, you may automatically stabilize a dying creature mer
Sneak Attack +3d6 +3d6 damage if you flank your target or your target is flat-footed.
Solo Tactics (Ex) Count Teamwork feats as if your allies had the same ones.
Teamwork Feat (change 2/day) Swap your most recent Teamwork feat for another
Track +2 +2 to survival checks to track.
Trap Sense +1 (Ex) +1 bonus on reflex saves and AC against traps.
Trapfinding +2 +2 to find or disable traps.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex) Retain Dex bonus to AC when flat-footed.

Created With Hero Lab® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com![/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I have been struggling with what to combine with Sorcerer. Having to avoid Arcane Failure penalties make it difficult to come up with a synergy. Really only two choices, Monk or Rogue. I was avoiding Rogue since Mowgli was looking at that. And I am not so sure about Monk, even after looking at the variants in the APG.

So I am wondering if you are really set on combining Inquisitor with Rogue. If you picked up a more martial class instead you can benefit more from heavier armor and higher BAB without losing things from Inquisitor, right?

Anyway, still not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
What bloodline?? Also are you thinking melee or ranged for your combat method of choice? Do you wish to enhance your weapons and attack or will the spells be your primary attack power??

And what about Ranger(skirmisher)??

And you are saying you don't wish to take the Arcane Armor Mastery feat? In something like this it would be easier to get than if you were say a fighter/sorcerer under the normal multiclass rules.

HM

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases