HM's Carrion Crown AP - OOC

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Quick thoughts from my phone:

Hmmm, not being healed by a cleric's positive energy is a pain. In the long you might find you don't like that.

I think starting lower than the heroic array is a bit off, would like 20pt buy-in. The point increase between modules is an option or something unique to AP?

Is there a reason we are only having one trait? How about we gain a new trait between each module?

Re: Hero points. Never used them before, can use them or not, no opinion.

Re: HP. Why not just take Max from the higher of your HD every level. It gives slightly higher HP compared to LPF and is not complicated.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Hmmm, not being healed by a cleric's positive energy is a pain. In the long you might find you don't like that.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well.

HolyMan, would you consider allowing me to play a Tengu? I've really been wanting to play one, and I didn't exactly get my fill of them in my brief run with Brân in LPF :p

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Hmm, I am thinking about combinations with a Sorcerer. Having to go without armor sort of limits the combination for synergy. Just to confirm we cannot combine two spellcasting classes, like adding either cleric or bard to a sorcerer?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
HM, I thought you'd said 20 point buy initially for abilities. 15 points is really tough when you're trying to build a Gestalt class as your two classes are almost certain to rely on different abilities. It's doable, of course, and I'm not complaining - just putting in my two cents.

For the HP, I'm happy to take the higher of the two classes' HD, Max at level one and Max -2 at subsequent levels. Anything more is welcome, of course, but you might want to limit any extras (just to offset the chance of a single crit by a bad guy ending our career at a stage when we can't really get brought back) to first level.

The 20 pts to start get 2 pts per module fell through as I do not want points "saved for later" and to really get your stats up I would need to give 3 pts after each so that is why the drop to 15. You should probably look at spending your points backwards to see how you want them to be in the end (30 pt buy). Just something to keep you busy.

Sorry I'm just not happy with the regular method of doing HP in pbp. Sure in a home game you can ask around the table, "Does everyone want to rest before continuing?" and in 5 mins you are rested and healed. But that could take 3-4 days minimum in pbp to figure out. And if a character is killed at a low level(due to bad crit rolls/saves) it could be over a week till you get a new one worked up so survivability at low levels is what I am looking at. Still working on my numbers but really nothing to major as I can see.

Quick thoughts from my phone:

I think starting lower than the heroic array is a bit off, would like 20pt buy-in. The point increase between modules is an option or something unique to AP?

Is there a reason we are only having one trait? How about we gain a new trait between each module?

Re: Hero points. Never used them before, can use them or not, no opinion.

Re: HP. Why not just take Max from the higher of your HD every level. It gives slightly higher HP compared to LPF and is not complicated.

The point buy increase is something I picked up from [MENTION=478]Thanee[/MENTION] and twik'ed a bit. What it does is start you off as standard heroes at a 15 pt buy in. And as you advance through the modules your stats will increase so that by the time you are at the last one your pt buy is the same as if you had spent 30 pts. i.e. you are now Epic Heroes

One trait due to me seeing everyone taking the same one (+2 init) and then something to go with their character concept. Also one trait to start makes the feat Additional Traits pretty tempting. And for now it is one - let's see what you come up with before adding in another.

HP - yes less complicated and a little boring and since you know what you are getting you can plan for it. But this is a group game let me think of some variations to try and have you all vote on it. Fair enough? But whatever I do I think to start the HP will be slightly higher than the norm for reasons stated above.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well.

HolyMan, would you consider allowing me to play a Tengu? I've really been wanting to play one, and I didn't exactly get my fill of them in my brief run with Brân in LPF :p

Sure Mowgli. Anyone else want to help form a murder of crows like in the LPF - :p

Hmm, I am thinking about combinations with a Sorcerer. Having to go without armor sort of limits the combination for synergy. Just to confirm we cannot combine two spellcasting classes, like adding either cleric or bard to a sorcerer?

That is correct you can only have one primary caster and if you take a second class that has the option to forgo spellcasting for some other class feature you will be required (though I hate to do it) to take the alternate i.e. Cleric/Ranger (skirmisher)

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OK, I can see your points in all of that. I do have a question about the eventual point-buy total. Normally point buy stops at first level, and there are limits on how high you can take the points (7+/18- before racial mods). Would our final point buy numbers (before racial and level up mods) be expected to be within these ranges? I think I'd prefer that, but I'd be fine either way.

So at this point I'm looking at a Tengu Inquisitor/Rogue build, TN alignment, worshiping Pharasma, with the Death domain. Still open to discussion, of course, as there's plenty of time.

For HP, what about max on the larger die plus roll the smaller at first level, max-2 on the larger and roll on the smaller on level ups?

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Hit Points

I have looked at a couple ways and with me hating numbers you know I want to do something a little different that the "regular way". :p

But that is an option (option #1 in fact)

#1: Max HP at first lvl from highest HD class + CON
- Per/lvl = Roll HP as normal + CON

#2: Max HP at first lvl from highest HD class + half HP from other class + CON
- Per/lvl = Half of Max HP from highest HD class + CON

#3: Max HP at first lvl from lowest HD class + half HP from other class + CON
- Per/lvl = Max HP from highest HD class - 2 + CON

#4: Max HP at first lvl from lowest HD class + roll HP from other class + CON
- Per/lvl = Half of Max HP from highest HD class + roll HP from other class

Those are just a few of the combos (please suggest any others you can think of), but these four should show you what I'm looking for.

HM

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I think that is how the re point buys will work by default. You will start with 15 pts buy stats and then adjust as normal.

When you complete a module you will go back and spend 3 more points - no saving or leftovers - and this is added to non adjusted scores (i.e. you will need to keep track of the original scores). Then re-adjust the new scores with racial and magic as normal.

With only getting 3 pts you will never be able to "re-adjust" from 17-18 as it cost 4 pts. And is why I need to do 3 pts instead of 2, or you wouldn't be able to go from 15-16 or 16-17.

placeholder is for HP list (for voting) just wanted it at someplace easy to find. :) and what you listed is something I'm looking at.

HM

Last edited:

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Not quite sure how I feel about the HP options, to a certain extent I think it depends upon how you plan to alter the AP for gestalt - if at all. On balance I do prefer not to roll HP, but its not too big a deal for me.

We are running with Hero Points in my Kingmaker game and I am really enjoying them so far. If I remember correctly there is an option to spend them to avoid dying, but it might take two. Anyway I rather like them.

I'm going to force myself to avoid summoner - I already run two - and had been thinking of a fighter Cleric. Or possibly an Paladin Oracle if someone else is planning to go Cleric.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Speaking to the HP options, it would help if we knew what your goal is. Do you want to give a bump to HP at all levels? A big bump at first followed by a smaller increase for later levels?

Of the ones you presented, I like #3 the best. It keeps things simple, gives a decent bump at first level to enhance resistance to that single crit kill and provides slightly better than average HP/Level as we level up. I also like it because the 'slightly better than average' is better for higher HD classes - for a d6 class it's actually right at average, for a d8 it's +1.5/level, d10 is +2.5/Level, and d12 is +3.5/Level.

Regarding Hero Points, I really like 'em. I'm using them in both of the APs I run. I personally don't like the feats and items that go along with them, though. I think using those options puts too much focus on what (to me) should be a neat side option used to save your bacon or get something done that would be otherwise nigh on impossible.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases