HM's Carrion Crown AP - OOC

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Air Elemental Bloodline. Was thinking more combat spell thrower and definitely not melee combatant. Arcane mastery feats come later and can work with using light armor down the road.

I was looking at Zen Archer, but I already have a Elven Ranger in play and was thinking to do something different. Same reason I ruled out Ranger (Skirmisher). But I still might end up using a bow. Outside of some warlocks in 3.5ed, I am not playing any arcane casters. I have a multi-classed rogue as well somewhere, but that's it for that class as well.

Idea taking rogue would be to gain the skill points, medium BAB, and help provide more non-combat functions. I hadn't looked at variants yet.

But the sneak attack might be good if it can be applied to raged touch attacks in round 1.

With 4 characters, I guess I am concerned that we might not have enough high AC characters to protect the squishy sorcerer and a rogue.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
You should look at crossbowman for the fighter alt. in the APG, I think that has some awesome abilities to gain.

Now I believe the AP goes up to 13th lvl (but I might be talked into an after AP adventure ;)) But if you are looking to stay out of melee than the extra fighter feats would help so you could get Shot on the Run in addition to the traditional PBS, Precise, and so forth.

EDIT: Hmmm... post number 7k snuck up on me.

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rogue is actually my favorite class to play, and I haven't run one in years. And I really like the synergy between Inquisitor and Rogue, both for character concept and mechanics.

That said, it surely wouldn't bother me to have another one in the party! We've only got four party members, but we'll have eight classes. GlassEye's favored option at his last check-in was Cavalier/Ranger and Aldern's was Fighter/Cleric - if they go with those, we'll have two heavy hitters. Actually, all of the options they've presented so far have been pretty heavy hitters.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
And you could have different types of Rogues for sure not only with the alternate classes but one could be a "Face" man focus on Diplomacy, Know local, Sense Motive etc, and the other a lock picker trap finder focus on Disable Device, Search, Perception etc.

So you could go Rogue I suggested fighter for the extra feats and being able to take specialization for your bow.

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Nice a heavy focus on melee combat with one or range with the other. Is that why the hard choice?

Whatever you all decide I would suggest someone take a Cleric class (and not because I am a HolyMan :p). I think channel energy(positive) to good to waste specially in a small elite group.

I looked at the Zen Archer pm and not a bad alt class as alt classes go. It gives you Perfect Strike (not a bad feat, at first lvl) and Weapon Focus & Weapon Specialization for evasion. So you trade out an ability you might use once every fourth or fifth encounter (if that much) for two you would get to use every encounter (when you are the appropriate lvl).

I would go for the Sorcerer(air-maybe)/Monk(zen archer) combo.

I say maybe to the air because when I think of the zen archery I think it would be best for buff spells as you couldn't cast and shoot same round. So I see the spells the character has helping with the bow work more than attacking themselves (just me though) with a few back up spells (got to have magic missile in the hole jic).

Also the zen means taking one bow and it being the one so I thought what about Sorcerer(arcane) and the bonded object would of course be the your bow. I thought it would be more gain RP wise but the spells look to work out too.

Invisibility, Dimension Door, Overland Flight to get into position to shoot.

True Seeing for knowing the target??

If you take the elemental bloodline you basically turn into one down the road and just not what I see for the character you are describing.

HM

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
HM, thanks for the advice. I am following a build I made for a sorcerer in another game. I want to make a battle caster, not really an archer & buffer. If I was building an archer I probably would go with a different class than sorcerer. I did take a glance at the paladin variant without spells.

Can you use a ranged touch spell and stack sneak attack on it when the target is flat-footed? Might still go with rogue for skills.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Hmmm, I looked at Sorc/Rogue. I would focus on skills that Mowgli's rogue didn't take. But I still thought about the archer business and even looked at the Arcana Bloodline like HM suggested.

My reluctance to play an archer was because if Lughart ever starts up his games again I have a ranger archer already. But then I also have a sorcerer too then. I did make another Ranger archer but that one is also stalled out at the moment.

So, I think I will consider the archer afterall, but I want to make a variant on this character since I am giving up on Lughart's games ever getting off the ground again.
Firvinianna Laali
[sblock=Half-Drow Elf]This is the offspring of a surface elf that was born of a mother that was raped by a Drow male.
Half Drow Elf:
- Drow Ability attributes +2 Dex; +2 Cha; -2 Con (or use Elven instead, depending on player preference)
- Darkvision 60ft, Low-light vision
- Keen Senses +2 Perception
- Elven Immunities to sleep and +2 bonus to saves vs. Enchantments
- Weapon Familiarity Longbows, rapiers, etc..
- +2 Spellcraft on Magical Identification
- +2 to Class Level vs. Spell Resistance

Since not a true surface elf, but raised among them: No Drow Spells, Spell Resistance or poison use. No light blindness either.[/sblock]
I am going to look at the a build for Arcane Archer then, so I might go with Sorc/Ranger or Sorc/Fighter.

Also I had some thoughts about the initial buy-in and those rewards between modules. I kinda think I would prefer starting at 25 point buy-in and forgoing the extra points later. Is it still open for discussion?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I don't think I'll open up the 'let other races than core/bestiary' can of worms.

But if you want to choose elf as a race and say your character is a half-drow for fluff that would be fine. Just keep the elf crunch and have a unique back story.

Yes everything is still open to discussion until a few characters are made and ready then it might be counter productive to go back and change things.

What is the reason you wish to just do standard point buy?

HM

GlassEye

Adventurer
Is the 'no two spellcasting classes' thing set in stone? Because atm I favor Ranger (Shapeshifter)/Alchemist. If that is a no-go then I'll have to go either Cavalier/Alchemist (conceptually appropriate) or Barbarian/Alchemist (mechanically appropriate).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases