HM's Carrion Crown AP - OOC

Satin Knights

First Post
Lucky you remembered. I was about to hit you with the +1 Clue Bat ;)

HM
That is what it is there for. Marshan will get around to feeding Toddy the potion after we get the crowd settled down and safe. Ie, probably when we return "home" to sleep. So don't hold up the crowd/dance situation on me.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
As I'm sure Firvin was probably looking over Marshan's shoulder as he studied the arrows she can make an aid another check to see if you ID those arrows.

Also everyone please add in your consumables (As SK already has) and if a scroll doesn't have a CL listed in the game I am going to play it as one lvl higher than the minimum needed to cast.

Better add that to a houserule somehwere. LOL

HM

Satin Knights

First Post
So the 2 Hide from Undead scrolls will give us a combined protection for 20 minutes for 4 people. (Toddy is dismissible) So, we can use them for sneaking in and have the protection fall at the first attack against anything, or use them as an escape route when we get overwhelmed. I vote escape route because we don't know what we are sneaking into. Getting knee deep in undead and then losing the protection would be bad.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Well trying something new here gang. Just got this idea tonight.

In a normal game we would be sitting around the table and when the module calls for a perception or know roll we could get through it pretty quick. Not so in good ol' pbp. So I am going to try instead of saying make a Perception check or make a Know (whatever) roll, I will go ahead and make them for the area.

Then I will fluff the rolls accordingly. If you are successful and spot whatever is out of the ordinary and it has "special rules" (like this manor) I will go ahead and post them. Then you can decide as a group what you wish to do.

You could even go ahead and start the searching without me given you have the rules. You would make your rolls and then post accordingly. This may help to speed things along a little better than me saying "Make Perception checks." and then getting it all done days later.

Couple things to remember:

1- You are close to town so leaving and coming back if things get hairy is acceptable. No need to try it all in a single trip.

2- You may come back to areas later. I'm sure you will eventually want to search every area or room but maybe the manor can wait till a certain rogue has Evasion. ;)

Magical arrows: +1 ghost touch will update loot list next.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
HM,
DM rolling reaction checks for Knowledge or Perception (Spot/Listen) sounds fine by me, no need to hold up the game for those. But it would be nice if you could label them so we know what we rolled without guessing or having doubt.

Also for active searching, I sent something like this to Mowgli for another game.
perrinmiller said:
Use of Perception to actively Search, you can take as many Move Actions as yo want without penalty of failure on that Skill check to look for traps/secret doors/etc...

Setting the DC in an OOC comment just determines the threshold for continued rolling, rather than spend 2 minutes IC time on the Take 20 for every square since when the player does not feel such scrutiny was necessary.

Ex: Searching, Perception(+7) against DC22

This is almost an like taking a 15, which would average 4 Move Actions to accomplish, so 12 seconds. So, the DM can use his real dice if necessary, or not roll anything if there are no traps or hidden things to be found.

I have found this technique really speeds up things in the PbP environment (except when the DM rolls everything with on-line dice rollers that is ;)) when rogue/scouts need to be wary of traps and such when the players do not want to or cannot afford to take 20's. Sure the DM does some rolling when there is something actually there, but he only needs to if the DC is higher than what the players threshold is at.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I kept the rolls hidden so as not to let you know if I was trap searching or not. The main thing is the fluff that follows and then the crunch. They allow you to know that you must have made whatever roll the module called for and that way we can continue on without spending a week or more searching.

I also might put a dungeon spot in the RG and list the rooms you clear and such - this exploration may take 6 months or more maybe a quick reference spot to remember where you found this or what's in that room would be helpful. ( and jog memories)

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Eh? Searching for traps is an active skill check isn't it? If we are looking for traps, we should know that we are searching. I am confused.

I can see Perception checks for Spot and Listen being reactionary and secret rolls by the DM, though.

I agree with SK, include Initiative checks in the DMs list of dice rolls. It makes sense since you are setting up the encounter, why wait for us.

However, I still think we should know when we are having a Knowledge Skill Check or Spellcraft being made for us as that reflects our character's knowledge.

Remove ads