HM's Carrion Crown AP - OOC

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Re: Half-drow. Since the mechanics are pretty similar, I will probably stick with the option to use it for RP flavor then if I re-use the same personae. Pity, I liked having Darkvision and the ability score adjustment to Cha is better for Sorcerers. Otherwise it is the same.

re: Point buy-in. My reasoning is that, initially the first few levels are tough. With average ability scores that will be even more so with everyone suffering from MAD (Multiple Ability score Dependency). Even though we would be getting them later, their importance is less critical at later levels as everything else (BAB, Saves, Skill Ranks and normal Ability score increases) is going up too. So having your primary ability scores starting at 14 vs. 16 is an extra +1 for things at a time when your total bonus for something might go from +1 to +2. Later on, that increase maybe gives you a jump from +5 to +6, not as big a deal.

re: Multiple spell casting classes: I think there was no such restriction in gestalt rules in 3.5ed. The reasoning was, that if you had both lists, you could still only cast one spell at a time. But, I do see that have two primary spellcasting classes is a bit game breaking, essentially doubling the number of spells. But I do think melee classes (Rangers and Paladins) should be allowed to mix. Those spells are much fewer and coming later in the game as a secondary ability. It would certainly open up more mixing options since there are very few non-spell casting classes.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I think it would be fine to allow mixing a primary and a secondary casting class. TBH, I disallowed it in my game purely as a matter of personal convenience - I use HeroLab to keep up with characters and track combats, and I had to custom build the Gestalt classes for the party in that program. HL isn't built to allow a single class character to have two different casting sources, so unless I put the restriction in place I couldn't have used the program.

(Luckily, both of the players running such combos agreed to take the spell-less archetypes).

perrinmiller

Adventurer
If Hero Lab is really the reason, then maybe it should be open for discussion then. ;) At one point I was thinking Sorcerer & Druid but had to immediately toss that idea out the window.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I see your point on the need now not later but the point of the build as you go is to have a time when you weren't as great as you are now. So it is a ro choice I believe it will add to the experience to think back and say...

Hmmm I remember when this guy wouldn't even been able to make that roll with a nat 20, but now it's near automatic. ;)

I would allow for double spell casters. I don't think that to serious as not to many of you will take the option you will still need a meat shield or two.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
In that case, the realm of possibilities just opened wide. Sorc/Bard, Sorc/Witch, Sorc/Sommoner, and even Sorc/Cleric.

Whoa, back to the drawing board then. :p

Who's going to have healing for sure? Afg still planning a cleric gestalt (I don't remember)?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
When if everyone gives me a solid class combo I will post it into the first post so everyone (specially me) can be reminded.

Let's get the character gene rules discussed and down so we know what we are about.

Which brings me to equipment does max from highest gp class sound ok?

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Disallowing any two casting combinations was for convenience. I've always (well, after my first try at running a Gestalt game) disallowed combinations of two full casting classes. Part of the encounter balance philosophy is forcing the party to use their resources throughout the adventuring day, 'resources' being another word for spells in most cases. It becomes very difficult to challenge a party with even one Gestalt character made from two full casting classes; ironically, this is actually because of the economy of actions. (Two different full casters will often each cast a spell in a round, burning through their total number of spells about twice as fast as a full casting Gestalt.)

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Sorry guys I am going to have to withdraw, my Kingmaker group is going to run the AP, and while you guys are all awesome they are to and we average 30 posts a day. My apologies, but I think you all know I am a sucker for speed by now... I just could not refuse. :blush: And I prefer not to run the same AP twice, certainly not so close together.

I wish you all the best of luck and will be following your progress with interest. :) I do not think you will have a problem recruiting someone to take my place.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'm just saying it didn't work out well in the one Gestalt in which I allowed it. Once the levels got up to 5th or 6th, I just couldn't ever find that balance between making things challenging enough for the group to feel like they could fail and completely shredding the characters that weren't focused on spellcasting.

Allowing a primary caster to combine with a secondary worked better for me - the secondary caster classes tend to rely more on their other abilities and use their spells more for buffs and backup utility.

Remove ads