HM's Carrion Crown AP - OOC

Satin Knights

First Post
Unfortunately "Class- and ability-based restrictions (such as arcane spell failure chance and a druid’s prohibition on wearing metal armor) apply normally to a gestalt character, no matter what the other class is." straight from the 3.5 Unearthed Arcana.

But, it does have "A gestalt character follows a similar procedure when he attains 2nd and subsequent levels. Each time he gains a new level, he chooses two classes, takes the best aspects of each, and applies them to his characteristics." which is different than the link posted by someone before. So, using this, I could pick up a little bit of ranger with Cleric/Summoner, Ranger/Summoner, Cleric/Summoner.

Edit: I went back and found it. The toned down version locking to one gestalt type was Mowgli house rules on the other portal. I could live by it, but could be more effective slipping in two ranger levels over my career.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Not allowing the AA at all to start maybe finding things from it later. But my question is you want to play a cleric of Erastil and yet your HW will not be your deities favored??

If you want a melee damaging weapon maybe you should think of another god choice. Shelyn(glaive) or Gorum(greatsword) would be good choices for martial weapons for melee.

pm - not going top allow changes to the RAW of the game gestsalt is a merging of the classes but doesn't allow for changing the class. You could have all your combat spells as bard and utility as sorcerer (not optimum but possible) so the ASF wouldn't truly matter then. Besides the best armor you could have on is a chain shirt and is the same +4 as mage armor. Changing class to suit opens it up to everyone and every thing so sorry.

You will start with 8 zero lvl spells and unlimited casting it balances out that half would suffer from ASF.

HM

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Edit: I went back and found it. The toned down version locking to one gestalt type was Mowgli house rules on the other portal. I could live by it, but could be more effective slipping in two ranger levels over my career.

Right - this was the variation HM and I agreed on when we started talking about the game. The idea is to limit the craziness of Gestalt somewhat, as well as to discourage class dipping - which is even more attractive in a Gestalt game. There's nothing in those rules that prevents taking a level in another class, it's just that you can't combine it into a Gestalt.

Satin Knights

First Post
If I am going to front line, for weapons, I need a good ranged weapon, a good melee weapon, and something usable in a grapple. Bow, pole arm, and cestus work well for that combination. At fifth level, I and my eidolon will each have flight. The bow will come in more handy then. But, being limited to spear/staff/club for my melee weapon is painful. If I go with a different deity, then I have lost the range abilities unless I want to sling stones. My spell strategy is going to be mainly drop one group buff in the surprise round and then melee.

The eidolon is going to focus on distraction tactics and drawing the attacks for the first few levels. It can't "die", so it toys with the enemy.

And since we are starting with a 15 point buy, my skill usage is going to be non-existent. The rogue will have to do the skill monkey work.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
As it should be although religious matters should still be deferred to your character.

Think you are trying to do to much with the character. Really everyone will be glad your around for the channeling and if you aren't the greatest warrior to start - you do have an un-kill-able friend to give the group support.

So your thinking Aasimar for the +2 wis/cha both key abilities but not needed to be very high to start. But human would give you a bonus feat so you could get the selective channeling and maybe turn undead or extra channeling or martial/exotic weapon prof or Spell Focus (Conjuration).

I just don't see the character attacking a lot during a combat round leaving that to the eidolon and him casting. The way your talking you want a Fighter/Summoner.

HM

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I'm looking at a two-weapon build, which should give me decent damage with surprise/flanking (especially once I pick up Precise Strike as one of my bonus teamwork feats).

So at this point three decent combat types (Ranger/Alchemist, Inquisitor/Rogue, and Cleric/Summoner), any of which will also be able to do some ranged combat. A spell-slinger/buffer in perrinmiller's Sorcerer/Bard. Two skill-monkeys, actually, with the Rogue and the Bard. All of us will have varying degrees of spell-casting as well. Looks like a good party!

EDIT: All of us will have at least a bit of healing ability as well, depending on spell choice.

Satin Knights

First Post
Fighter is just boring for me. (step up, power attack, cleave, rinse/repeat) As it is, I will be +3, d12+4 as a base attack without flanking. Best attack is if my pet gets in and provides flank + aid another, and I spend one of my five swift domain powers/day, I am looking at +7, 3d6+6 with a 20' reach with a normal weapon on the first non-surprise round. Not too shabby for first level. Of course, if we buff, Divine Favor for me, Bless or bard's Inspire Courage for all, a knock out blow gets easier.
By third level, with both me and the pet having reach and Precise Strike, I start to dish out the damage. Fifth level will give us both flight. (domain spell for me)

I am not going to be that much of a caster. Starting, I will have four spells for the day. 2 buff, 1 utility, 1 healing is probably how they would be used up. If I relied on my casting, I would be sidelined as a cheerleader 2/3rds of the way through the first fight.

Aasimar: Darkvision and resist to three out of five energy attacks. If it wasn't available, I would likely be going half-elf and get my weapon through alt features.

Erastil: The old grump. Leave my people alone to their backwoods farming and you'll be fine. Mess with them, and this force of nature will kick you butt into next week.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
That is to much crunch talk for me LOL I build around backgrounds and such like your take on Erastil btw. You will have to find a new weapon is all and that shouldn't nock you out of being a good melee comabtant.

Allowing you to take a weapon from AA will allow everyone and then it will be feats and traits (that go with the weapons) and I wish not to deal with all that. I'm sure having a base d8 weapon (2d6 with enlarge) will be more than enough to bash some skeletons and zombies at 1st lvl.

HM

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases