Mystara Collector's Guide

havard

Adventurer
Going through the list and I noticed the 1999 D&D Adventure Game was included.

Are you aware of the related Fast Play supplements?

D&D Fast Play Rules
Eye of the Wyvern
Wrath of the Minotaur
Crypt of the Smoke Dragon

As I recall, the rules of these and the '99 D&D Adventure Game were derived from the AD&D 2nd Edition rules, not the OD&D/BECMI rules. They also had a relatively self-contained setting, though I don't recall the details.

The fact that it was derived from 2e rather than BECMI makes it more removed from Mystara IMO. The setting is calle the Vale. I tried to connect it to Thunder Rift at one point, but I am not sure if that was a good idea or not...

-Havard

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Are you aware of the related Fast Play supplements?
Yes, in addition to those four, there was also a Diablo II edition of the Fast-Play game, a PDF-only D&D: The Movie Fast Play release and Caves of Shadow which isn't labeled as "Fast Play" on the cover, but talks about itself as "fast-play" inside. (The last two were loosely based on the 3.0 rules, and were included in the 3rd Edition Collector's Guide.)

As I recall, the rules of these and the '99 D&D Adventure Game were derived from the AD&D 2nd Edition rules, not the OD&D/BECMI rules. They also had a relatively self-contained setting, though I don't recall the details.
Ah, yes, the 1998-1999 period where WotC had decided to merge D&D and AD&D under one "D&D" brand but hadn't yet fully committed to it :D.

The 1999 D&D boxed set would definitely fit better as an offshoot of AD&D2 than BECMI D&D. (Trivia: It's also the only D&D product to include "Vampire, Lesser" as a creature, as well as the "Xvarg". In case you are wondering, xvargs are exactly the same as xvarts, just spelled differently, because, hey, that's a word than needs fewer common letters...)

That boxed set might well move into the "Miscellaneous" section of guide #20, when I get that far.

havard

Adventurer
You list Pandius.com as the official fan website. Might it also make sense to include the Mystara Forum at the Piazza, as that is sanctioned by Pandius?

Vaults of Pandius said:
You may become a part of the process by joining in on discussions at the Mystara Message Boards, on the Mystara Mailing List or in a more active forum at The Piazza.

-Havard

havard

Adventurer
Didnt this list originally include Endless Quest books?

Vanishing City by Allen Varney, is based on module M4.

-Havard

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Didnt this list originally include Endless Quest books?
It may have done. :blush: A few months ago, I moved a few miscellaneous D&D items that don't have anything to do with Mystara into the 20th Collector's Guide (which I haven't yet published). I don't remember offhand if that included the Endless Quest books, but that's where those are now.

I'll take a closer look at Vanishing City shortly. I only recently completed my set of EQ books, and that was one of the last ones I picked up!

Remove ads