Wall of Force has to be a straight wall ?

Rashak Mani

First Post
The spell description says a flat, continous, vertical wall. (or a hemisphere)

Can I make L shaped walls or U shaped walls too ? Or is it only a straight wall ? Can I make it a 20 ft high wall too ? How flexible is wall creation ? I have been using it as a flexible wall... covering odd shaped areas.

How do DMs rule on separating combatants in melee using this spell ? Two people fighting how hard or possible is it to make a wall passing between them ?

Also how thick is wall ? The spell gives no indication... being force it might not even need to have "thickness".

So how do you guys rule/use Wall of Force ?

James McMurray

First Post
Can I make L shaped walls or U shaped walls too ? Or is it only a straight wall ? Can I make it a 20 ft high wall too ? How flexible is wall creation ? I have been using it as a flexible wall... covering odd shaped areas.

Unlike Wall of Stone, a Wall of Force must be completely flat, or (hemi-)spherical. What it loses in versatility it makes up for in indestructibiity.

How do DMs rule on separating combatants in melee using this spell ? Two people fighting how hard or possible is it to make a wall passing between them ?

I haven't bothered with that part of it. Just as a wiazrd can aim a fireball so that it only hits on of two melee combatants, so too can he perfectly place a Wall of Force. My next campaign may be a bit different though.

[QOTE] Also how thick is wall ? The spell gives no indication... being force it might not even need to have "thickness".[/QUOTE]

We've always played it as being paper thin. It never really mattered though.

shilsen

Adventurer
Actually the spell description also allows a sphere. Which raises a couple of questions for me. Would the sphere be movable (like Otiluke's Resilient Sphere)? Would it still be able to trap a creature, since technically part of it would have to form under the subject's feet, which would break the plane of the wall & end the spell? Opinions, please.

Rashak Mani

First Post
One does wonder how can a spell that can shape a spehere or a hemisphere cant form a U shape or even a circle.... still its a great spell even if thus limited.

In another thread they ruled against making sphere on targets that are standing on the ground... these would have to be hit with hemisphere only version. (1/2 sphere)

The sphere itself would be used against flying creatures or those that "float" like ethereal creatures.

The sphere isnt movable...

James McMurray

First Post
Shilsen: Sorry for the confusion. When I wrote "(hemi-)sphere" I meant that the hemi- portion was optional. Its an old lazy man's trick. :)

As for your questions, I Rashak Mani has it right.

Rashak Mani: I believe the reason it only has three forms is mostly game-balalnce related. If it was as easily shapable as wall of force it would need to be higher level.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Darn.... I was using it to twist and turn around the enemy keeping most out and my allies in... should have figured that it was too good to be true for a 5th lvl spell. :)

Lovely spell nonetheless for a sorceror... cant complain even when in "limited" version.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases