[Adventure] Artemis' Pact

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: Yes, that was a reroll of the original skill check; +2 for primary skill and -5 for going for broke.

Now I realize that the bonus should be +12, not +13, but it doesn't matter now. Yes, that should put us at 5 successes, 1 away from partial victory. Since Gil posted after I did the original roll, I couldn't use his Aid another check (nor that I would have done anyway, since the roll seemed fairly easy), so his +2 aid another bonus should be available to anyone else.

Neil1889

First Post
OOC: Let's say Lilli uses Arcana with Gil's help. With Arcana at +12, aid another +2, Primary skill +2, second use -2 gives a total of +14.

Shall I go for broke and would others like to go first?

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: if you go for broke and succeed with Gil's help, we'd be at 1 check from total victory but only Artemis and Karma could do it. With Lilli and Shale using Arcana, Karma doesn't have a very good skill to use (arcana at +8 would top it), but Artemis has a better chance with Athletics at +11, supposing he doesn't wear his shield for the challenge

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Although Shale can no longer sense the magic directly, when he opens his senses he can feel exactly where the inimincal intelligence is glowering at him from - and that will certainly be helpful!

[sblock=OOC]Yep, that's 2 successes, and the Aid Another is now available to the next person to try an Arcana check.

Also, remember that if you come up with a brilliant idea that's not on the list of key skills, you can still use it, you just have to run it by me first. (And other skills, like Bluff or Diplomacy to inspire people, are still available to give +2 to others like with Aid Another.)[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
OOC: I'll wait to see what Lilli's 'go for broke' action happens. If successful, maybe [MENTION=90808]Cute-Hydra[/MENTION] can assist on a athletics check for Artemis? Let's see how the roll goes.

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli tries to help Shale, using Gil's advice and help. She pictures her family in her mind in happier times and it seems to be working until the memory of the Fomorians that took her family away intrudes...

Lilli sat by the lake’s edge dangling her feet in the water, enjoying the last of setting sun’s warmth on her face. She sensed movement nearby her and looked up in to the smiling face of her father.

“I’m so very proud of you Lilli. You did everything right today. Uncle Seebo says that you surpassed any of his previous students at that level. You’ve formally finished your apprenticeship, Uncle Seebo’s gone off to get drink a bottle and celebrate and now you need to think about what you’re going to do next.”

Lilli stood up, smiled and embraced her father.

“I think I’ll stay here for a bit first. Plenty of time to see this world or the next; everybody else is just going to have wait for me to grace them with my presence at the moment. Speaking of Master Seebo’s bottles…”

She pulled on the nearby line and the bottle swung up out of the lake’s depths where it had been cooling for the last hour.

“Hey Presto! Just like magic!"

Dhenni clambered up on Lilli’s back.

“By the Stars, I think you’re getting too big for this, little brother.”

“Take me around the big tree again! Twice! Thrice!”

“Just the once I think, or else I think you’ll be carrying me home. How many of those scones did you eat at Aunt May’s? I feel like I’m carrying a load of those dwarven bricks Father brought home last week.”

“What, like this one?”

Dhenni waved the half stone brick in front of her face and giggled until he suddenly hit the grass, whereupon he laughed all the harder.

She sat in the cramped confines of the passage, barely daring to breathe. The sounds of the screaming were still ringing in her ears along with her father’s warning,“Run Lilli, run! Stay in the cubby-hole until they’ve gone! Stay!”

There she stayed, all through the crashing and smashing of the family home as the tree that the house was built into was cracked open by the giant purple hands. Even when the secret door sheltering her shuddered as something was thrown against it, Lilli still stayed quieter than the dormouse that she was sharing her refuge with.

[sblock=actions] Lilli goes for broke using Arcana to try and reinforce the arcane walls of protection against the maze monster. Effectively requiring a 24:

Roll Lookup Total: 23.

Just short, but I'll use an action point out of the two I've accrued if I have to. I'll wait to see what you think, JNC. [/sblock]

“No; that won't do girl," Lilli says to herself. “You're playing into the creature's hands (or claws or whatever it has)."

The young girl twirled in the sky-blue dress before her feminine audience, who made appreciative "oohs" and "ahs" of approval.

“Thank-you, Mother," said Lilli, hugging her mother's waist. “I love the flying bird motif, but I love you more."

"I knew you'd like it; birds were always your favourite. I love you too Lilli, dear."

“Can't wait to see Cousin Cally's face go green with envy, though," Lilli said, winking up at her.

Her mother returned the embrace and kissed Lilli's forehead. "Truth is, I can't wait either," and the others in the room laughed.

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=OOC]What's to think? You needed a 19, you rolled an 18. If you want to spend your AP, go ahead.

Actually, wait. I said if I though the action was especially well described or innovative, I'd give you an extra +2. Your writing was certainly well described, but I'm not sure what it has to do with what you're attempting... How exactly was remembering your childhood supposed to help unravel the maze?
[/sblock]

Cute-Hydra

First Post
Karma still paranoid that the maze was built for a purpose see's that one of the support beams is weakened not sure if it's deliberate or not he rushes to support it managing with his less than strong body to stop it calapsing.

OOC: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2995362/ 15+5 = 20 Athletics check
I could think of something to do with athletics, and I used arcana before so didn't want to reuse a skill

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Nice! That's 6 successes - you're guaranteed partial victory now. Need 2 more for full victory, with Artemis left to act. I'm also waiting for Lilli to expand on how exactly her post relates to Arcana before I decide whether to give her the +2 or say that that roll was a miss (in which case she'll probably spend an AP to reroll.)

So it's in your grasp!
[/sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Nice! That's 6 successes - you're guaranteed partial victory now. Need 2 more for full victory, with Artemis left to act. I'm also waiting for Lilli to expand on how exactly her post relates to Arcana before I decide whether to give her the +2 or say that that roll was a miss (in which case she'll probably spend an AP to reroll.)

So it's in your grasp!
[/sblock]

OOC: Hi JNC, I was running with Gil's suggestion (below) to try and bolster the arcane barrier with positive energy, essentially projecting positive emotion into Shale's shield against the maze creature's mind in the hope it overwhelms the creature's maze control with our own form of backlash against it. What with coming so close on the roll, I thought I'd almost slip up and check if you were happy with the writing before carrying on.

Shale! shouts Gil, rushing forward to the creature, Hold on! The wizard uses his arcane knowledge to shield Shale. Feeling out the source of Shale's pain, Gil shares his state with it, the nausea being strong enough to drown out most other sensation.

Gil extends the protection to Bob, and the other members of the group. Holding the magical barrier against the vile being with all his remaining focus. Don't let it overwhelm you, focus. Picture something dear to you, that you would fight for, and concentrate on that. No anger, only focus.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases