[Adventure] Artemis' Pact

JoeNotCharles

First Post
"Stargazer Hill", as 7 Rabbit has dubbed it, is a moss-covered mound of stone thrusting out of the forest floor. The trees encircle it at a safe distance, too far back and too regularly to be natural. There is a tingle in the air, as if this place was once used for ancient rites and echoes of that power still linger.

The circular opening in the treetops perfectly frames a patch of sky glittering with stars. There is no moon, no clouds, no earthly lights to dim their brilliance. The stars seem larger than usual, and seem to hang closer overhead. The air is breathlessly still, so that not the slightest movement interrupts their radiance.

7 Rabbit stands on the hilltop, clad in a freshly laundered orange robe and an elaborately plumed mask, looking much like a pumpkin dressed up for the Feast of All Spirits. Beside him is a large clay pot which occasionally emits a wisp of greenish-blue vapour, and a stack of folded yellow robes topped with a single pure white garment.

Rabbit idly taps his calculating rod against his thigh as he waits for the ceremony's other participants to arrive.

[sblock=Cast]
Artemis Harks (FourMonos) - Level 2 Human Warlord/Warlock
Lilli (Neil1889) - Level 1 Gnome Wizard
Gil (CaBaNa) - Level 2 Human Wizard/Artificer/Assassin
Shale (Someone) - Level 3 Shardmind Psion
Karma Palminetti (Cute-Hydra) - Level 3 Human Cleric-Psion
Farmer Bob
[/sblock]

[sblock=Rules]
I'll be running combat much like renau1g does:

On the first round, players roll Initiative individually. Monsters roll Initiative once for all of them. Players who beat the monster's totals can go before the monsters. Then all the monsters go, then all the players go, then all the monsters go, then all the players go, etc. Within those groupings, players and monsters can post in any order. (This speeds things up greatly because we don't need to wait for a specific player to post.)

I will reveal selected monster stats, such as defenses, the first time they come into play. So the first player to attack a certain defense won't know for sure if they hit, but after that players will be able to tell for themselves whether they hit or not. (This is a balance between keeping things mysterious and speeding up play.)

Please post a mini stat summary after each combat turn, to keep track of your current hp, healing surges, AP and powers used. Tarkus the Crusader's is a good model.

Would each player please post a small picture to use as a combat token.

Other rules:

After a fight, you may use encounter powers such as Healing Word as often as you want, but keep track of how much time this takes (you need a five minute rest after each use of the same encounter power, or after each two uses of "twice per encounter" powers such as Healing Word). Depending on circumstances you may risk meeting wandering monsters, or later encounters may get harder as defenders have more time to set up, if you wait too long...

I'll be using the Obsidian Skill Challenge System for skill challenges instead of the one in the DMG. I'll explain how it works before the first skill challenge starts.

If you expect to go more than 2 days without posting, please let me know and designate someone to play your character for you while you're gone.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: I'm in the process of moving. I don't foresee not being able to post, but I don't discard it either. In any case, if I'm AWOL for 24 hours or more, assume I won't post for a couple days and NPC my character.

Shale climbs the hills, his alien, featureless and crystalline face turning left and right and, as usual, not showing any recognizable emotion. He glows a bit brighter when he sees 7 Rabbit.

Last edited:

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli stepped out of the forest and headed up the hill. It was a warm, balmy night in spite of the clear skies and Lilli felt right at home. Indeed, it all reminded her of her native Arcadia, except for that still peculiar night sky. Still, she hadn’t been idle in the last few weeks. As well as her commissioned work that she’d used to pay more routine bills and keep her comfortable rented room available, she’d looked into the subject matter at hand a little more by herself.

7 Rabbit was right; the view was excellent and there he was, looking up and sometimes around him from the summit. He hadn’t noticed her yet, but then, perhaps she was harder to spot than most other beings.

"Good Evening, 7 Rabbit. I hope I find you well. It’s a beautiful spot, that’s for certain.”

FourMonos

First Post
Artemis walks slowly up the hill, holding star charts under one arm and an open book in one hand. He is muttering to himself as he walks, "...the blue light of Khirad sometimes reveals secrets and insights..."

Artemis is still wearing his leather armor. Those that know him recognize he looks thinner. It seems 7 Rabbit wasn't joking about spending time in a sweat lodge.

He looks up as he gets to the top of the hill, "Evening everyone, thanks for coming!"

CaBaNa

First Post
Buzzing with excitement, Gil made his way into the woodland, keeping a spell cast to light the area around him as he skipped. Invest, invest, going to investiture, hmmhmm, hmmhmm, mhmm hmm ahmiture... hummed the wizard.

Closing on the hill, Gil hushed at the immense presence, the tangible sense of eldritch power. Checking over his shoulder, he crept the rest of the way in silence. Only after seeing the others did he reveal his presence, Great night for Magic! belts the newly relieved Gil.

Someone

Adventurer
"Evening everyone, thanks for coming!"

"No need to thank" says Shale. "Former experiences with arcane practitioners have been negative; I'm merely collecting data to form a valid inductive rule. Also, I can practice some magic, even if augmented by my natural abilities and desire to increase that knowledge. So, it's a benefit for us both."

"I can't see the rest of us. I could send for them if needed."

JoeNotCharles

First Post
"Let's wait a little longer," 7 Rabbit says. "We still have an hour or so before it will be too late to start the ceremony. I hope they're on their way."

As if on cue, there's a rustling in the bushes and Farmer Bob pokes his head out. "Ooh-er", he says. "It's spooky out here at night."

CaBaNa

First Post
Tell me about it! This place feels... Eepy, as in C. R. Eepy.
Gil hugs himself as he says this, Do we really have to wait a whole hour to start the show?

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Tell me about it! This place feels... Eepy, as in C. R. Eepy.
Gil hugs himself as he says this, Do we really have to wait a whole hour to start the show?

"No, just until our fifth witness arrives. Karma, I think his name was?"

While the group is waiting, 7 Rabbit begins to pass out cloaks - the silvery-white robe to Artemis, the yellow robes to the witnesses.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases