[Adventure] Artemis' Pact

FourMonos

First Post
Artemis quickly gauges the distance and realizes he can't intervene between Gil and the beast.

"Gil! Get out of there!"

Frustrated by the change from his usual tactics, the edritch blast again fails to wound the Umber Hulk.

[sblock=actions]
Standard: Spiteful Glamor vs Umber Hulk: 1d20+8, 1d8+5+1d6 &#8594 ([2, 8], [5, 5, 3]) Roll Lookup . Miss again.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Artemis stats]Atremis Harks- Male Human Hybrid: Warlord/Warlock 2
Darkspiral Aura: 0
Initiative: +1, Passive perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
Defenses: AC: 17, For: 17, Ref: 18, Will: 17
HP: 16/29, Bloodied: 14, Surge value: 7, Surges/day: 5/7 Speed: 6 squares
Languages: Common, Primordial
AP: 1, Second Wind: unused

Powers:
Eldritch Strike, Spiteful Glamor, Furious Smash, Darkspiral Aura
Battlefront Shift, Hammer and Anvil, Inspiring Word, Aid the Injured
Lead by Example[/sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
At Lilli's command, the thrashing flesh eating grubs seemingly once again fall upon creature from above.

[sblock=actions]Move Action: Lilli moves to square M6.[/sblock][sblock=actions]

Lilli attacks the Umber Hulk with her Illusory Ambush.

Illusory Ambush (At Will Standard Ranged 10 Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic)
Target: One creature
Attack: +5 vs. Will
Hit: 1d6+5 Psychic damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Illusory Ambush: Roll Lookup Total: 24

Potential Damage: Roll Lookup Total: 11

She may be hurting, but she's on a roll.
[/sblock]

[sblock=mini stats]Lilli
Female Gnome Illusionist Wizard, Level 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 16. Senses: Low-light vision.
AC:15, Fort: 11, Reflex: 15, Will: 15.
HP: 9/22, Bloodied: 11, Surge Value: 5, Surges left: 4/7
Speed: 5 squares. Size: Small. Languages: Eladrin, Allarian.
Saving Throw Bonuses: +5 Racial bonus against illusions
Action Points:1
Powers:
Ghost Sound
Light
Prestigitation
Mage Hand
Orb of Deception
Illusory Ambush
Nightmare Eruption
Grasping Shadows
Fade Away
Second Wind
Horrid Whispers
Conditions: Bloodied
[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
The orb in Gil's hand flashes brightly, and the wizard leaves a wake across the water as he moves adjacent to Artemis. His shadowy form wilts, and tries to raise both arms, one failing.

It HURTS, put it back, put it back, the scholar holds his shoulder like hugging it will fix the problem. The chemical reaction in the wizards body was quick, and angry. Bursting with an inhuman growl, Gil points his good arm toward the Umber Hulk, his orb flashes again.

A hand of force appears beside Gil, reaching into a pocket, it pulls out a pint-sized glass vial. The hand floats into the air, high above the Umber Hulk, and releases the vial to fall over its hard carapace.

Almost at the same instant the vial contacts the shell, Gil releases a small fireball that hurtles toward the giant beast. Moments later the area is engulfed in a scorching explosion, and Gil becomes solid again. Though he still clutches at his arm and shoulder desperately.

[sblock=OOC]
Going out on a limb here, this may just end in some fun RP.

Move Orb shift to M17

Minor mage hand pint of oil up to the ceiling

free action drop oil on Umber Hulk

Standard Scorching Burst, centered on oil covered Maddened Umber Hulk, and any oil sitting atop the water nearby.
17 vs Reflex Hulk
10 Fire damage

End of turn
Insubstantial wears off (it was TE of Gil's NT)

[sblock=interesting anecdote about oil and water]
A pint of oil can produce a slick of approximately one acre on the surface of water
source
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministat]

Gil Human Hybrid Wizard/Artificer Multiclass Assassin
AC 16 Fort 14 Reflex 17 Will 14 (+1 from ranged attack 5 squares away Cloak of Distortion)
HP 1/27 Surges 5/7 Surge value 6
Passive Insight 17, Passive Perception 17, Normal vision
Second Wind Not Used, AP total 0, Speed 6, Initiative +7, Languages Common, Draconic
At-will powers; Thundering Armor, Winged Horde, Scorching Burst, Ghost Sound, Light, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand (active)
Encounter powers; Grasping Shadows, Shadow Step, Moonstride, Healing Infusion: Curative or Resistive, Orb Shift
Daily powers; Caustic Rampart

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Cute-Hydra

First Post
Karma as he lay on the floor wondered what had gone wrong, insight had failed him the beast was a mindless crazed brute and his superior insight hadn't stopped it. Then he realised as the true insight flooded into his mind clearly divine insight at it's best, that the intelligence of how to act does not replace action itself.

Mobilising his thoughts, he anticipated the umber hulks crude attempts to claw him as he got close. He recited a prayer of healing to insulate him from the monsters attacks, at worst he would at least stop the beast from killing Gil...

He moved quickly towards the beast using a rock pile as temporary cover taking the anticipated claws in his stride shutting the pain down in his mind ignoring it, as he brought his trademark glowing fist of light to bare bringing the full momentum of the charge into the umber hulk knocking it cleanly to the floor.

[sblock=actions]
Move: Stand Up
Minor: healing word targetting himself D6 = 4 Roll Lookup healing up to 24.
Action Point: Move to M11
Standard: Force Punch, empowered 2-
Roll Lookup
Critical, Roll Lookup total, 19damage, Umber Hulk is knocked back one square and prone.
[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=Flaming Oil!]
[MENTION=82643]CaBaNa[/MENTION]: Ooh, page 42 gets a workout.

The oil slick covers a burst 1. I'll say that it (and the Scorching Burst) are centered at K12 so they don't interfere with Karma's move to M11.

Make a second Scorching Burst attack roll, target number 18. If it hits, the oil ignites, and you do an additional 3d6+3 fire damage, plus anyone entering the zone or starting their turn there for the rest of the encounter will take 5 fire damage. If it misses, the burst flashed too quickly to ignite the oil slick.

EDIT: actually, to keep things moving I'll just roll this myself: Flaming Oil (1d20+8=25, 3d6+3=11) That'll do it! Writing the combat update now.
[/sblock]

As the hulk whirls in the water, clawing at the grubs it thinks are squirming back into its carapace, it is abruptly hit by a WHOOF of fire, igniting the oil slick that's appeared at its feet. A sheet of flame springs up around it and its maddened, maddening eyes whirl in pain and terror.

Suddenly Karma appears beside it and unleashes a mighty punch into the center of its chest, knocking it off its feet, deeper into the flame. A savage part of the creature's mind reacts and it claws at him even as it is falling, but he easily dodges.

The hulk thrashes onto its stomach, the edges of its carapace blackening. It pulls itself by its arms through the shallow water, out of the floating fire. Its breathing is ragged and it nearly collapses, but it pulls itself to its knees to stare at the attackers standing on land with hatred in its whirling, tormented eyes. Artemis and Gil, directly in front of it, suddenly feel all its pain, rage and madness flood through their minds - and then the invasion is gone. The beast slumps forward into the water. It twitches feebly, trying to rise.

[sblock=Actions]
The Umber Hulk is pulled to J11, takes 40 damage and is pulled to J11, then pushed to J12 and knocked prone.

[MENTION=90808]Cute-Hydra[/MENTION]: Since the Umber Hulk is actually at J11, I'll move you to L10 instead - same relative position (diagonal to the NE of it). You didn't say exactly what square to push him to, so I'll assume 1 south to J12 (still within the flaming oil). Are both of those ok?

Maddened Umber Hulk:
Immediate Reaction when hit by Karma's melee attack: Savage Rebuke. Claw attack at Karma (it can do this after being pushed back and knocked prone because it has reach 2): Claw at Karma (-2 for Illusionary Ambush, -2 for prone) (1d20+10-2-2=7, 1d10+4=13) Miss.
Disarming Gaze does not recharge: Recharge Disarming Gaze (1d6=5)
Takes 5 fire damage for starting in the flaming oil
Move: Crawl to K14
Standard: Psychic Crush: close blast 3, catching Artemis and Gil: Psychic Crush on Artemis and Gil (vs Will, -2 for Illusionary Ambush, -2 for prone) (1d20+8-2-2=7, 1d20+8-2-2=9, 3d8-1=10) Miss.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Unlocked Stats]
Farmer Bob: AC 1719, Fort 1315, Reflex 1113, Will 1113
Maddened Umber Hulk: AC 17, Fort 22, Reflex 16, Will 17
Rot Grub Swarm: AC 13, Fort 13, Reflex ??, Will 13
Shadowhunter Bat: AC ??, Fort 13, Reflex ??, Will 11
[/sblock]

[sblock=Status]
Artemis: 16/29 hp, 5/7 surges, bloodied
Lilli: 9/22 hp, 4/7 surges, bloodied
Gil: 1/26 hp, 5/7 surges, bloodied
Shale: 31/33 hp, 6/7 surges
Farmer Bob: 2/2 hp, 0/1 surges, +2 to all defenses until start of next turn

Maddened Umber Hulk: 133 damage taken, cursed by Artemis, bloodied, prone. Used Disarming Gaze. Used 2 Action Points. -2 to attack rolls until the end of Lilli's next turn.
Rot Grub Swarm 1: 50 damage taken. Dead.
Rot Grub Swarm 2: 44 damage taken. Dead.
Shadowhunter Bat 1: 35 damage taken. Dead.
Shadowhunter Bat 2: 18 damage taken, bloodied, fled
Shadowhunter Bat 3: 38 damage taken. Dead.
[/sblock]

External Map Link
[sblock=Map]
Climbing a rock pile takes a DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check and you grant combat advantage while on top of them. The standing water and rock piles are difficult terrain.

The yellow is burning oil. Anyone entering it or starting their turn there takes 5 fire damage.

2h3pzb9.png

[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Close with it Artemis! Shale, can you keep it in the fire if I push it back? says Gil coldly, speaking though he was in shock.

OOC: Gil has push power if ally is adjacent to hulk, if Artemis closes, and Gil pushes, Shale can rock it's world wherever. What say the team?

Someone

Adventurer
OOC: Gil has push power if ally is adjacent to hulk, if Artemis closes, and Gil pushes, Shale can rock it's world wherever. What say the team?

OOC: If you mean using Thundering Armor, we could do it this way: Artemis moves to M16 and readies an action to move south (with his standard action) when the Hulk isn't adyacent. You use Thudering armor, pushing the Hulk 1 square and moving south too.

If Thundering armor fails to hit, I'll use Dimension Scramble to move the thing away. Being Large gives the power a lot of flexibility about where to move the thing, so I can place it as far as the entrance to the small tunnel, where it can't reach anyone anyway but won't be damaged by the oil.

If you hit with Thundering armor, I instead use Static Mote, making sure it also won't reach anyone as long as we move out of it's possible reach.

Edit: Actually I believe it's really close to death, thoug. I doubt the thing will survive this round unless we all fail spectacularly.

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=ooc] I'm good with closing with it. I think it is almost out as well based on when we bloodied it, so let's go for the kill.

@JoeNotCharles I realized I haven't been counting my level 2 feat Reckless Curse. Artemis gains +1 to attack rolls against cursed enemies AND they gain +1 to attack rolls against him as well. I keep forgetting about it. I apologize if this impacted the battle in any way and will happily take any damage I should have taken. I didn't curse the umber hulk until most of the other things had died, so I don't think it made a big difference.
[/sblock]

Artemis sloshes forward into the water next to the crawling, wounded beast. He stands between it and the wounded Gil.

"Leave my friends alone."

He slams his iron rod solidly into the hide of the prone umber hulk.

[sblock=actions]
Move: shift to L 16.
Standard: Eldritch Strike vs. umber hulk: 1d20+8+2, 1d8+5+1d6 → ([6, 8, 2], [6, 5, 6]) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2979225/ I forgot to add the Reckless Curse bonus to that roll as well. So with the +1, hit AC 17 for 17 damage.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Artemis stats]Atremis Harks- Male Human Hybrid: Warlord/Warlock 2
Darkspiral Aura: 0
Initiative: +1, Passive perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
Defenses: AC: 17, For: 17, Ref: 18, Will: 17
HP: 16/29, Bloodied: 14, Surge value: 7, Surges/day: 5/7 Speed: 6 squares
Languages: Common, Primordial
AP: 1, Second Wind: unused

Powers:
Eldritch Strike, Spiteful Glamor, Furious Smash, Darkspiral Aura
Battlefront Shift, Hammer and Anvil, Inspiring Word, Aid the Injured
Lead by Example[/sblock]