[Adventure] Artemis' Pact

JoeNotCharles

First Post
You retreat from the river overlook and return to the junction. The other fork leads to a long, straight passage which slopes constantly upwards. Just as you are getting sick of the monotony of the unvarying, constant climb (and Farmer Bob is starting to complain that his legs are cramping up), the tunnel levels out, runs straight ahead for about 40', and ends in a huge iron door.

The door has hinges the size of your fist, and is sealed with three huge iron bars, wrapped with chains, and chiselled with forbidding warnings in a tongue unknown to mortal man (you can tell they're warnings because they're on a door like this). Its center has buckled slightly as pressure from the other side caused it to strain against the restraints. But the chains are holding, and the door still seems to be shut tight.

It looks like the chains and bars would be easy to remove from this side.

[sblock=OOC]
Is this ok for positioning?

2h4az3s.png

If you choose to open the door, also give me Initiative rolls, please.
[/sblock]

Farmer Bob takes one look at the door and says, "Nah way! Ah ain't goin' near that thing! Ah'm gonna go jump in th' river an' look for that other fella!"

Last edited:

Neil1889

First Post
"It'd be a sound plan worthy Bob, if I knew how to swim well."

Lilli grimly holds a dagger in her off-hand and readies the clear crystal ball in the other.

[sblock=Initiative Roll]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3076052/ Total: 11 [/sblock]

[sblock=Reactive Stealth: If you have any cover or concealment when you make an initiative check, you can make a Stealth check to become hidden.] Roll Lookup

Total: 11. (Just in case there is any chance of her blocking line of sight before she acts and the creatures beyond are nearly senseless :erm:.) [/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Gil shakes his head, Oh ho ho... yeah... he locks eye contact with Artemis, and cracks a smile, so... when people talk about their "inner demons", most of them aren't being literal.

[sblock=OOC]

init 26

[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
Artemis grabs the bar, "This may sound off, but if one of you guys can stay close to me, I can knock it off balance so you can get a good hit in."

"Listen. I can't thank you enough for sticking through this with me. But, if something happens, you guys get out of here. Use Bob's plan. But I can tell you one thing, either this thing dies... or I do."

He opens the door.

[sblock=initiative] 1d20+1 → [15,1] = (16) Roll Lookup [/sblock]

[sblock=ooc] [MENTION=82643]CaBaNa[/MENTION] ha! too bad I have to spread xp around more [/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
You unwrap the chains and let them hang free. The heavy bars clang to the ground one by one. Them Artemis heaves at the door, which grinds open with a hellish squeal - no chance of surprising whatever's on the other side...

[sblock=Initiative]
Farmer Bob: Initiative (1d20=14)
Enemies: Initiative (1d20+6=24)
[/sblock]

But Gil manages anyway, squeezing into the doorway to see the room as soon as there is enough of a crack to get through!

OOC: Oops, gotta go. Will post the map and description as soon as I can, then Gil gets to act since only he won initiative.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The door opens onto a ledge overlooking a huge cavern. It's an ancient mine works that grew haphazardly as ore was mined from the walls - the floor is uneven, with several distinct levels, and ledges surround the walls at various heights. Stairways connect the various levels of the cave. The walls are all braced with thick wooden timbers, and several of the ledges have wooden scaffolding forming bridges between them. One of the bridges stretched right across the cave to join two ledges on opposite sides, but that one has fallen and lies in pieces on the cavern floor. The remaining bridges look rickety and unsafe.

There is a steady drip of moisture from stalactites in the ceiling. The water has collected at the lowest points of the irregular floor, forming three large pools. Patches of slick moss surround a the pools and some of the higher ledges where the water drips most strongly.

On the far side of the room, on the floor, is another iron door identical to the one you entered by. Even from here you can make out large gouges and dents in it, but it seems to be holding solid.

At three points around the rim of the cavern are... some sort of vortices. At first glance it looks like they are sinkholes in the floor, but they also might be tunnels bored into the walls - it's hard to tell exactly how they're oriented. The very air seems to be twisted around them. You can tell that they extend back (down?) a few feet into the rock, but you can't make out whether the tunnel ends or continues into darkness. At least, not with your eyes.

[sblock=OOC]
You may use passive Arcana for free to read the following block, or on your first turn if you spend time studying the holes, use a minor action to get an Arcana roll to read it.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Arcana 18]
These were attempts to tunnel out of the cavern. The magic of the prison warped the tunnels around to lead back where they came from. Now anyone entering one of them will emerge back into the cave.

Anyone entering the 2x2 square covered by a vortex can use 1 square of movement to enter the tunnel. If they don't (or if they are moved in by forced movement) they take an attack at +7 vs Reflex due to the twisted space around the tunnel mouth, and if they are hit they are sucked in anyway.

Anyone who enters a vortex freely can make a DC 18 Arcana check to choose which vortex they come out of. If they fail, or if they are sucked in against their will, they emerge from a random vortex.)
[/sblock]

Standing at the tip of a ledge jutting out into the center of the cave is a demon wrapped tightly in chains. At first it appears to be hovering in the air just above the ledge, but as it shifts to face the opening door you realize that it is supported by chains hanging from its body to the ledge, as if it were a spider perched on flexible legs. Another set of chains slowly unwraps from around its body and begins lashing the air like tentacles. Where you can see the beast's skin beneath its wrapping it glows red with heat, but the chains soon smother any outbreak of flame.

2ihno2h.png

"AT LAST," it roars as it sees the door begin to grind open. "TO THINK THAT I ONCE OFFERED POWER TO AN INSECT LIKE YOU! TO WEAK TO RESIST MY CALL, AND TOO STUPID TO UNRAVEL MY LABYRINTH!" Then it sees Gil's face peaking through the door, and laughs, the sound a mixture of grinding stone and crackling flame. "AND FRIGHTENED! TOO AFRAID TO FACE ME YOURSELF, YOU MUST SEND A FOLLOWER TO GAIN THE FIRST SIGHT OF MY MAJESTY, WHILE YOU COWER BEHIND THE DOOR!

COME IN, LITTLE HUMAN. I WILL GRIND YOU INTO THE ROCK AND THROW YOUR BONES INTO THE RIVER FOR CAVE FISH TO NIBBLE ON. THEN I WILL KILL YOUR MASTER AND REGAIN THE POWER I INVESTED IN HIM. AND THEN I WILL USE THAT POWER TO DESTROY THE WHOLE SUNLIT WORLD THAT BOUND ME HERE!"

The demon begins to drift slowly towards Gil as the chains beneath it coil and shift.

External Map Link

[sblock=Map]
Farmer Bob is just off the map to the south.

The white numbers on the floor are the height of each ledge. The door opens onto a ledge 15' above the lowest point of the floor (so 10' above the floor below it, which is itself 5' above the lowest point). The demon is currently covering a 10.

The rickety bridges are difficult terrain (including the one that's fallen). The two that are intact are held up by scaffolding reaching to the floor below, which can be climbed with a DC 15 Athletics check as a Move action.

The green patches of moss are difficult terrain. The pools of water are thigh deep (chest-deep on Lilli) so they are difficult terrain and, if anyone moves into a water-filled square, it takes a DC 10 Athletics or Acrobatics check to avoid falling prone due to the slippery moss at the bottom of the pool. (The demon is immune since the chains supporting it are so long, but it still counts as difficult terrain.)

The vortexes are explained in the Arcana block above.

wbvtef.png

[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Gil was already in the room by the time he realized no one was following, and that the demon had already noticed him...

Not again... Gil says under his breathe, as he slings a spell toward the demon. His nerves get the best of him, causing visible shaking in the wizard's hands, throwing off the spells aim. He avoids eye contact with the demon, but can't help but look in its direction. Oh this isn't anything like class...

Beware the vortex, they act as a single space, and are always vying for supremacy. Don't get sucked in, it would take a great strength of will to direct their power. calls Gil to the others.

[sblock=OOC]
Roll Lookup

Minor arcana 21 (identifies vortex)

move to I23

standard grasping shadows
area burst 1 centered on demon
10 vs will
10 psychic damage, target is slowed until the end of Dante Mephisto Gilgamesh's next turn

Effect: Shadows writhe in the designated area and continue until the end of Dante Mephisto Gilgamesh's next turn. Any creature that enters the area of the grasping shadows takes 5 psychic and is slowed until the end of Dante Mephisto Gilgamesh's next turn

Free action knowledge check on demon 12 (don't know the relevant skill to add to the 12, Gil is +11 arcana, +6 religion)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministat]

Gil Human Hybrid Wizard/Artificer Multiclass Assassin
AC 16 Fort 14 Reflex 17 Will 14 (+1 from ranged attack 5 squares away Cloak of Distortion)
HP 24/27 Surges 1/7 Surge value 6
Passive Insight 17, Passive Perception 17, Normal vision
Second Wind: Not Used,
AP total 1, Speed 6, Initiative +7, Languages Common, Draconic
At-will powers; Thundering Armor, Winged Horde, Scorching Burst, Ghost Sound, Light, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand
Encounter powers; Grasping Shadows, Shadow Step, Moonstride, Healing Infusion: Curative or Resistive, Orb Shift
Daily powers; Caustic Rampart

[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=Monster Knowledge]
That would be Religion, for a total of 18.

The creature is a Chained Cambion, an "immortal humanoid (devil)". So not a demon at all, if that makes a difference to your tactics - the difference between demons and devils can be of vital importance, or it could be completely moot, depending on circumstance.
[/sblock]

Gil tosses off his spell too quickly, and the shadows dissipate instead of striking the demon. They settle into a churning mass around it.

The devil's chains writhe, and several of them begin to glow red hot. They rear up and punch down into the ground around its feet. Suddenly the chains erupt from the ground all around Gil, twining around him like a cage. Although the chains don't touch him, the very heat of them burns his flesh.

"YOU TRY TO HINDER ME? I HAVE ALREADY MADE MY CHAINS INTO MY SERVANTS! WHY SHOULD I PAY YOUR PITIFUL SHADOWS ANY ATTENTION AT ALL?" It turns contemptuously away from Gil and begins pushing easily through the shadows, which swirl around it. It extends a chain towards the ground and steps down from the ledge it is standing on. Only its head and shoulders are visible from the door now.

There is a grinding noise and the very rock in a shadowed corner near the door begins to move. A hunched, demonic figure made of black stone emerges from the cavern wall as if surfacing from a pool of water. Another appears across the cavern, emerging from a corner near a stairway.

2poxesw.png

The first gargoyle lopes across the ledge towards Gil. He struggles to face it but is too hampered by the chains to dodge, and it rakes him with its sharp obsidian claws. The second takes to the air on stunted wings and dives down at his unprotected back. But both creatures' claws are turned aside by the very chains that keep Gil caged. The gargoyles circle him, waiting for a chance to strike.

[sblock=Actions]
Artemis' Patron:
Standard: Grasping Chains, an area burst 1 centered on Gil: 27 vs Fort. Gil takes 4 fire damage and is slowed until Artemis' Patron's next turn.
Move: jump down to M13, where it has partial cover (-2 to hit it) from where you are.

Obsidian Gargoyle 1:
Emerges from the wall at N26
Standard: charge to J24 and attacks Gil at +1: 11 vs AC. Miss.

Obsidian Gargoyle 2:
Emerges from the wall at A17
Move: charges to H22 (with fly speed of 8) and attacks Gil at +3 due to charge and flanking: 13 vs AC. Miss. They both rolled 1!

[MENTION=82643]CaBaNa[/MENTION]: If you don't want to end up flanked, you can use Moonstride after either of those charges. If you decide you used it after Gargoyle 1's attack, Gargoyle 2 will charge next to wherever you end up (which would get rid of its -2 for flanking, making no difference to its attack). Let me know if you want to do this.

Farmer Bob:
Standard: Full defense

Ignore the Stealth roll - that was a mistake.
"No Description" is Gargoyle 1's attack.
Gargoyle 2's attack should be +12, since I forgot charge stacks with flanking.
Man, I wish invisiblecastle was up.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Unlocked Stats]
Farmer Bob: AC 1719, Fort 1315, Reflex 1113, Will 1113
Artemis' Patron: AC ??, Fort ??, Reflex ??, Will 21
Obsidian Gargoyle: AC ??, Fort ??, Reflex ??, Will ??
[/sblock]

[sblock=Status]
Artemis: 29/29 hp, 2/7 surges, bloodied, dazed (save ends), +2 to all defenses until start of next turn
Lilli: 21/22 hp, 2/7 surges
Gil: 20/26 hp, 1/7 surges, slowed until Artemis' Patron's next turn
Shale: 31/33 hp, 2/7 surges
Farmer Bob: 2/2 hp, 0/1 surges

Artemis' Patron: 0 damage taken
Obisidian Gargoyle 1: 0 damage taken
Obisidian Gargoyle 2: 0 damage taken
[/sblock]

External Map Link
[sblock=Map]
Farmer Bob is just off the map to the south.

The purple square is Grasping Shadows: Any creature that enters the area of the grasping shadows takes 5 psychic and is slowed until the end of Dante Mephisto Gilgamesh's next turn.

The white numbers on the floor are the height of each ledge. The door opens onto a ledge 15' above the lowest point of the floor (so 10' above the floor below it, which is itself 5' above the lowest point). The demon is currently covering a 10.

The rickety bridges are difficult terrain (including the one that's fallen). The two that are intact are held up by scaffolding reaching to the floor below, which can be climbed with a DC 15 Athletics check as a Move action.

The green patches of moss are difficult terrain. The pools of water are thigh deep (chest-deep on Lilli) so they are difficult terrain and, if anyone moves into a water-filled square, it takes a DC 10 Athletics or Acrobatics check to avoid falling prone due to the slippery moss at the bottom of the pool. (The demon is immune since the chains supporting it are so long, but it still counts as difficult terrain.)

The vortexes are explained in the Arcana block above.

a9s9wy.png

[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
OOC: Gil would have used moonstride, shifting two squares to H24, and becoming insubstantial.

Gil watches in horror as Artemis' Patron ignores his strongest spell, and awe as the Gargoyles appear. The chains were interesting, the bright red coils coalescing as they spun their web around Gil, the wizard watched for their pattern.

Jerked from his reverie by the sound of stone on metal, Gil watched the burst of sparks fly toward him. Falling between realities, Gil stepped thru a gap in the chains, as the second gargoyle plunged an obsidian claw into his missing chest. The wizard looked down, frowning, and glanced the vortex over his shoulder. The decision was instant, he was going to get in...

[sblock=Ministat]

Slowed until Artemis' Patron's next turn

Gil Human Hybrid Wizard/Artificer Multiclass Assassin
AC 16 Fort 14 Reflex 17 Will 14 (+1 from ranged attack 5 squares away Cloak of Distortion)
HP 20/27 Surges 1/7 Surge value 6
Passive Insight 17, Passive Perception 17, Normal vision
Second Wind: Not Used,
AP total 1, Speed 6, Initiative +7, Languages Common, Draconic
At-will powers; Thundering Armor, Winged Horde, Scorching Burst, Ghost Sound, Light, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand
Encounter powers; Grasping Shadows, Shadow Step, Moonstride, Healing Infusion: Curative or Resistive, Orb Shift
Daily powers; Caustic Rampart

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads