Airwalkrr's 4e Game OOC - Suspended Indefinitely

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Edit 2012/01/26: This game has been suspended and will no longer continue.

[sblock=Recruiting is Closed - Previous Announcement]I am looking for at least one more player to fill the slot of a retiring character. The current roster consists of a human fighter, a human wizard, and a human cleric. See rules below for character creation. The current level is 2nd. Any new characters will be considered to have joined the group prior to leaving Manas (see Chapter 2 link below). As Chapter 2 has only recently begun, this will require very little change to the story. New characters begin play with one standard Adventurer's Kit plus magic items. For magic items, choose one item of your level + 1, one item of your level, and one item of your level – 1. In addition, you have gold pieces equal to the value of one magic item of your level – 1. All magic items chosen during character creation must come from the Player's Handbook.[/sblock]

Having finally gotten my hands on some 4th edition books, I am intrigued. I can't say that it really feels like D&D anymore, but it seems to be a very good game. So I want to give it a go and try to run it.

Rules
Level: 1st
Ability Scores: Method 1, 2 or 3, but you can't change your mind after choosing Method 3 and rolling. Total modifiers after rolling should be no lower than +4 and no higher than +8.
Races/Classes: Any, but those from the PH1 are most common. Plus you must PM me the pertinent rules ahead of time in some fashion since I have only the PH, DMG, and MM.
Feats: Any, same conditions as above.
Equipment: 100 gp to start. Same conditions as above.
Alignment: Lawful Good, Neutral Good, or Unaligned. Unheroic characters need not apply.
Setting: My own world, a place called Geora, adapted to 4e.
Players: Four to six. First come, first-served. I must receive a character sheet within 7 days of your post indicating your desire to join or you may lose your spot. Players who don't post for 30 days are assumed to have dropped out and will be replaced. No wait lists. Recruiting will occur as needed.
Pace: See Obsidian Portal site or click here for combat rules.
Character Sheet: Use whatever you like, as long as I can find everything.

Setting Notes
Humans: The dominant race. It is the Golden Age of Man. Everyone looks to them for leadership in most matters.
Other Races: Quaint novelties who are considered to have outlived their eras of supremacy.
Adventurers: Very uncommon. Your characters will be the exception to the exception.
Politics: Geora's most populous nations are located in Khareb, which is Geora's central (and most civilized) continent. Many refer to Khareb as if it were the world. The center of the continent is dominated by two human nations, the Republic of Berandal, and the Empire of Johak. Good is often associated with the former while evil with the latter, but these are only preconceptions and may not always hold true.
Geography: The Mountains of Eindore dominate the northern border of Berandal and not much is known about what lies beyond. The fertile Istalle Valley is the center for both Berandal (to the north) and Johak (to the south). The Naeci Forest between both is said to hold numerous mysteries. The western continent of Verani is said to be the home of countless fey beings while the southeastern continent of Kampala is believed to be a land of volcanoes and fire. The distant continent of Tiras is largely unknown.
History: Ages ago, Geora was under the iron fist of Dezmaeron, the Demon King. Some say he was a lieutenant of Bane, while others claim he was none other than the incarnation of Asmodeus himself. A cooperative effort of the lesser races brought his rule to an end, and ancient magic keeps him out of the affairs of the world today.
Dragons: These majestic beings are largely detached from the people of Khareb. Some believe they keep a close eye on things always ready to intervene. Others say they have removed themselves from the mortal races intentionally and no longer wish to have any thing to do with them. But no know one really knows for certain.
Religion: I am adapting Geora to fit 4e baseline expectations so just assume the religions from the PH exist. However...[sblock=Click here if you want a more detailed explanation]There are four primary religions in Geora. The first is a dualistic religion, which is the most prevalent. The followers of good revere Radiar (Pelor) as the god of light. They believe that the world is spinning towards a final battle with the followers of evil who are led by the god of darkness (Bane) who goes by many names. To evil wizards he is known as Yevlyn the Blood Mage. To orcs and other warlike races he is known as Dimatyr. But all know him as the champion of darkness. Adherents of this religion, known as Dynamism, acknowledge the existence of both the god of light and the god of darkness, believing there to be no such thing as neutrality. Everyone will be forced to pick a side in the final battle and while both sides predict victory, no one can truly say for sure. The Republic of Berandal tends to favor the church of Radiar, while the followers of light are outright banned in Johak.

The second religion is a relatively new religion of monotheists who worship a god named Olarius (Bahamut). Followers are known as Olarians (Draconians), and they preach vehemently against the existence of any other gods. For their part, Dynamists acknowledge the existence of Olarius but believe that he, too, will have to pick a side in the battle for good and evil in the end. Olarianism has grown quickly over recent years centered in the great and ancient city of Kale-Jerome where it is said the god Olarius once walked as a mortal. Olarianism is technically a lawful good religion, but the zealous followers of Olarianism have, on occasion, carried out terrible acts of wickedness in the name of their god with various inquisitions and purges. Worship of Olarius is allowed in Berandal but suppressed in Johak. Some Olarians speak of outright secession from Berandal to form their own pious nation in the western region of Tandelle.

The third religion is a nature cult devoted to the goddess Volnar (Melora). Volnar speaks to those who spend a lot of time in the natural world and eschews civilization. Her followers don't preach against civilization, they just prefer to spend their time away from it. Hence her faithful are largely in parochial communities and she has a particularly strong following amongst the poor and downtrodden. Many of her priests are druids and non-Volnari druids get along well with the Volnari druids.

The final religion is the vile and subversive cult of Dezmaeron, the Demon King (suspected to be many different evil gods or an avatar). The Demon King was banished from Geora eons ago after ruling the world under a particularly cruel and iron fist. A very small number of folk actually want to see Dezmaeron returned to Geora. Perhaps they think it is inevitable and want to be on his good side. Perhaps they are just insane. Whatever the reason, this cult works behind the shadows to try and return their dread lord to power.

As far as conversion goes Pelor will represent Radiar and Bane will represent Dimatyr/Yevlyn. The other gods will have minor temples dedicated to them but generally their worshippers will align themselves with either Pelor or Bane while some of the unaligned churches are considered not to have picked a side. All good and unaligned gods in the PH are considered allies of the church of Pelor except for Bahamut, Melora, and the Raven Queen (the last of which is considered to be a dead religion). The evil deities are generally considered to have aligned themselves with Bane, but many of them simply choose to go their own ways. Bahamut will represent Olarius, worship of a dragon god being a relatively new phenomenon. Worshipers of Bahamut won't necessarily be monotheists, but they will strongly support the worship of Bahamut to the exclusion of other gods, seeing even Pelor as not worthy. Avandra or Melora will represent Volnar depending on the situation, but usually Melora. Dezmaeron is not properly considered a god, but he might actually be Asmodeus or an incarnation of Bane. No one really knows.[/sblock]
Chapter 2: Amnesia (In Progress)
Chapter 1: Sedition (Completed)
Rogue's Gallery
Obsidian Portal Site

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Interested in playing a human (transmutation) wizard. Just a standard wizard (PH) who uses the transmutation spells from the new Red Box (I can PM you the specifics, but will also include them in my character sheet).

I would also like to take:

- the Unarmored Agility feat from the PH2 (+2 AC in cloth armor or no armor). It is basically the same as taking leather armor proficiency, but I like my wizards to wear robes.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
AWR: Well, although we didn't finish any game, I always have fun in your adventures, so here's my mostly PH1 human fighter.
WD: We could link our characters, brothers? Allies? rejoined friends from childhood?

Perton "Quickhands" Apeldan
Human, Fighter
Build: Great Weapon Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Two-handed Weapon Talent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18 [Human bonus], Con 16, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES [22 Point buy system]
Str 16, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 17[+1 dex,+6 armor] Fort: 17 Reflex: 12 Will: 12
HP: 31 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +4, Heal +6, Athletics +9, Endurance +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +1, History, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion, Stealth +1, Streetwise -1, Thievery +1

FEATS
Human: Human Perseverance
Level 1: Power Attack

[sblock=POWERS]
Bonus At-Will Power: Cleave
[sblock=Description]
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier (+4) damage, and
an enemy adjacent to you other than the target
takes damage equal to your Strength modifier
(+4).
Halberd: +7 attack, 1d10+4 damage
Greataxe: +7 attack, 1d12+4 damage
[/sblock]
Fighter at-will 1: Weapon Master's Strike [Dragon Mg 382]
[sblock=Description]
Effect: Before making this attack, you may sheathe a weapon
and draw a different one as a free action.
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier (+4) damage. In addition, the
target takes an additional effect based on the weapon you wield.
Axe: The target takes extra damage equal to your Constitution
modifier (+3).
Mace: You slide the target 1 square.
Heavy Blade: Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +1
power bonus to AC against the target's attacks.
Spear or Polearm: Until the end of your next turn, the target
provokes opportunity attacks from you when it shifts.
Halberd: +7 attack, 1d10+4 (as polearm) or +7 damage
Greataxe: +7 attack, 1d12+7 damage
[/sblock]
Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike [MARTIAL POWER]
[sblock=Description]
Attack: Strength +2 vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier (+4) damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier
(+4) at 21st level.
Weapon: If you're wielding an axe, a
hammer, or a mace, the attack deals extra
damage equal to your Constitution modifier (+3).
Effect: You grant combat advantage to the
target until the start of your next turn.
Halberd: +9 attack, 1d10+7 damage
Greataxe: +9 attack, 1d12+7 damage
[/sblock]
Fighter encounter 1: Lunging Strike [MARTIAL POWER]
[sblock=Description] Reach +1
Attack: Strength -1 vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier (+4) damage.
Halberd: +6 attack, 2d10+4 damage [/sblock]
Fighter daily 1: Knee Breaker [MARTIAL POWER]
[sblock=Description] Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier (+4) damage, and the
target is slowed (save ends). If the target is already
slowed, it is instead immobilized (save ends).
Weapon: If you're wielding an axe, a hammer, or
a mace, the attack deals extra damage equal to your
Constitution modifier (+3).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is not slowed or
immobilized.
Halberd: +7 attack, 2d10+7 damage
Greataxe: +7 attack, 2d12+7 damage [/sblock][/sblock]

ITEMS
Greataxe (30 gp), Halberd (25 gp), Scale Armor (45 gp): 100gp spent

drothgery

First Post
Lia grew up poor in a tiny elven enclave in (major human city). She escaped into the army of (nation containing major human city), which naturally assumed an elf would be a good scout and archer. Fortunately, they were correct.

Lia, Good elf female range (archer)

non-PH1 feat:
Bow Expertise
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls that you make with a bow. In addition, you gain a +1 bonus to the damage roll of any weapon attack you make with a bow against a single creature that is not adjacent to any other creature. Both of these bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
Published in Player Essentials: Heroes of the Fallen Lands, page(s) 311, Player Essentials: Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, page(s) 311.

Background

Elf - Urban Elf
Type: Racial
Campaign Setting: General
Prerequisite: Elf

You were raised in a city where another race was dominant. What drove your family to the city? Do your people live as humans do, or did you grow up in an elven enclave? Are you happy there, or do you long to return to the wild?

Associated Skills: Streetwise, Thievery
Published in Player's Handbook 2, page(s) 181.

[used to gain Thievery as a class skill]

(pdf and online character builder file attached)

Attachments

• Lia.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 329
  • Lia.dnd4e
    98.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Walking Dad: I was actually able to look up the Unarmored Agility feat and that's cool. I don't know enough about the new red box to know whether it is appropriate. I thought it was supposed to be a distilled version of the game. I had no idea it included new material. Anyway can you PM or email me a scan of pertinent material?

Voda Vosa: Surprised you aren't a dwarf. :) But seriously, I don't see how anyone "sheathes" a polearm. They are the kind of weapons you either carry, drop, or lean up against something. I suppose I might be willing to dispense with a certain level of realism and assume there is some way you can strap a halberd to your back. But I will impose a practical limit on the number of weapons you can actually carry. If you want to carry around two two-handed weapons you will count as carrying a heavy load at all times. You'll have to drop one or the other if you want to use your hands for other stuff.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Why the heavy load stuff? I understand the hands no available for anything thingie. Perhaps he has to take a minor action to strap the weapon? That could work. For using that power, he'll have to also use a minor action (making him unable to do more stuff for that round for example.) or a move action. I'll prefer that instead of the Heavy load, and it also seems more realistic, IMO.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Think about it this way, do you really think anyone could swing around a humongous axe with proper efficiency while a 10-foot long polearm is strapped to his back? Perhaps using the polearm while the enormous axe is strapped to the back is more believable but not by much. I'm all for fantastic stuff and all but what you seem to want to do defies my sense of practicality.

Here's the rule: You may carry a maximum one two-handed weapon (strapped to the back) and two one-handed weapons (one at either side). Anything more and you are considered to be at a heavy load because of cumbersome balance.

I'm willing to forgo my common sense that tells me strapping a polearm to your back would rarely ever be practical. But carrying around more than one two-handed weapon is a bit beyond what I consider acceptable. You can strap as many extra weapons as you want to a mule or something, but there has to be a practical limit to the size of the weapons relative to the wielder.

Edit: And just to clarify, I don't have a problem with the Weapon Master's Strike power. I only take issue with any character being able to carry two weapons that are both probably as long as he is tall if not longer without being encumbered somehow.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
VV, I'm fine with connected backgrounds.

Walking Dad: I was actually able to look up the Unarmored Agility feat and that's cool. I don't know enough about the new red box to know whether it is appropriate. I thought it was supposed to be a distilled version of the game. I had no idea it included new material. Anyway can you PM or email me a scan of pertinent material?

Here is a rough sheet. Bad online connection.

Will post background, feat and power specifics after the weekend.

level 1
Human, Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Staff of Defense
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 18, Wis 14, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 17 Fort: 13 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +4, Arcana +9, History +9, Insight +7, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Bluff -1, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +2, Heal +2, Intimidate -1, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth +1, Streetwise -1, Thievery +1, Athletics

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Human: Unarmored Agility
Level 1: Staff Expertise

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Magic Missle
Wizard at-will 1: Thunderwave
Wizard at-will 1: Stone Blood
Wizard encounter 1: Leaden Transmutation
Wizard daily 1: Slimy Transmutation
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Flaming Sphere

ITEMS
Spellbook, Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Accurate staff, Potion of Healing (heroic tier), 14gp
RITUALS
Comrades' Succor, Simbul's Conversion, Tenser's Floating Disk

wolfattack

First Post
Hi,do you have place for one more player? i have the Player's Handbook 1,2 and Martial Power book(all in Brazil Portuguese language,but i can translate) and i would like to play. i can make a warrior,cleric,rogue or whatever role the group needs. i have the USA version of PH3 too,if i can take anything from there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases