Airwalkrr's 4e Game OOC - Suspended Indefinitely

drothgery

First Post
Are backgrounds (as in PH2, gving a new class skill) allowed?

FWIW, I was working off of the theory that they weren't explicitly banned, and the General backgrounds (as opposed to some Forgotten Realms and Scales of War backgrounds) aren't generally considered to be all that powerful. +2 to one skill or a class skill that wouldn't normally be a class skill isn't exactly game-breaking.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I am adapting Geora to fit 4e baseline expectations so just assume the religions from the PH exist. However...
[sblock=Click here if you want a more detailed explanation]There are four primary religions in Geora. The first is a dualistic religion, which is the most prevalent. The followers of good revere Radiar as the god of light. They believe that the world is spinning towards a final battle with the followers of evil who are led by the god of darkness who goes by many names. To evil wizards he is known as Yevlyn the Blood Mage. To orcs and other warlike races he is known as Dimatyr. But all know him as the champion of darkness. Adherents of this religion, known as Dynamism, acknowledge the existence of both the god of light and the god of darkness, believing there to be no such thing as neutrality. Everyone will be forced to pick a side in the final battle and while both sides predict victory, no one can truly say for sure. The Republic of Berandal tends to favor the church of Radiar, while the followers of light are outright banned in Johak.

The second religion is a relatively new religion of monotheists who worship a god named Olarius. Followers are known as Olarians, and they preach vehemently against the existence of any other gods. For their part, Dynamists acknowledge the existence of Olarius but believe that he, too, will have to pick a side in the battle for good and evil in the end. Olarianism has grown quickly over recent years centered in the great and ancient city of Kale-Jerome where it is said the god Olarius once walked as a mortal. Olarianism is technically a lawful good religion, but the zealous followers of Olarianism have, on occasion, carried out terrible acts of wickedness in the name of their god with various inquisitions and purges. Worship of Olarius is allowed in Berandal but suppressed in Johak. Some Olarians speak of outright secession from Berandal to form their own pious nation in the western region of Tandelle.

The third religion is a nature cult devoted to the goddess Volnar. Volnar speaks to those who spend a lot of time in the natural world and eschews civilization. Her followers don't preach against civilization, they just prefer to spend their time away from it. Hence her faithful are largely in parochial communities and she has a particularly strong following amongst the poor and downtrodden. Many of her priests are druids and non-Volnari druids get along well with the Volnari druids.

The final religion is the vile and subversive cult of Dezmaeron, the Demon King. The Demon King was banished from Geora eons ago after ruling the world under a particularly cruel and iron fist. There are a very small number of folk who want to see Dezmaeron returned to Geora. Perhaps they think it is inevitable and want to be on his good side. Perhaps they are just insane. Whatever the reason, this cult works behind the shadows to try and return their dread lord to power.

As far as conversion goes Pelor will represent Radiar and Bane will represent Dimatyr. The other gods will have minor temples dedicated to them but generally their worshippers will align themselves with either Pelor or Bane while some of the unaligned churches are considered not to have picked a side. All good and unaligned gods in the PH are considered allies of the church of Pelor except for Bahamut, Melora, and the Raven Queen. The evil deities are generally considered to have aligned themselves with Bane, but many of them simply choose to go their own ways. Bahamut will represent Olarius, worship of a dragon god being a relatively new phenomenon. Worshipers of Bahamut won't necessarily be monotheists, but they will strongly support the worship of Bahamut to the exclusion of other gods, seeing even Pelor as not worthy. Avandra or Melora will represent Volnar depending on the situation. Dezmaeron is not properly considered a god, but he might actually be Asmodeus or an incarnation of Bane. No one really knows.[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Re: backgrounds. Ah, power creep, how I love thee. But sure, I think they should be okay. However, do not assume that just because something isn't banned that it is allowed. In my campaigns it is always best to assume that unless I specify that it is allowed, you must ask permission first. As a matter of fact, I've never met a single DM who followed the philosophy of "if it isn't banned then it's allowed." It isn't up to the player to decide whether something is "game-breaking" or "all that powerful." It is up to the DM. So please, before you assume, next time ask.

drothgery

First Post
Re: backgrounds. Ah, power creep, how I love thee. But sure, I think they should be okay. However, do not assume that just because something isn't banned that it is allowed. In my campaigns it is always best to assume that unless I specify that it is allowed, you must ask permission first. As a matter of fact, I've never met a single DM who followed the philosophy of "if it isn't banned then it's allowed." It isn't up to the player to decide whether something is "game-breaking" or "all that powerful." It is up to the DM. So please, before you assume, next time ask.

Okay.

Voda Vosa

First Post
General Background Ideas to work from:

1. Origin:
a. Brothers
b. Friends
c. Rivals

2. Life so far, depending on the above options:
a or b:
i. Always together
ii. Separated for yeas, and then came along by the designs of destiny/a god/set up on a trap.

c:
i. Forced to work together to save their lives.
ii. Realized they could do better together than against each other.
iii. Pretending to be friends and but still secretly be rivals

Ditto on the weapon thingy. I was planning on having the halbred out and the axe strapped on the back, dropping the halbred if he draws the axe.

Walking Dad

First Post
I like the brothers idea who always sticked together. Like Raistlin and Caramon (brains & brawns), but with an equal standing. Our low Cha could just mean we are so used to communicate only with each other that we have difficulties to relate to others.
Would you be fine with a rural/forest place of origin?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Walking Dad: Most of the stuff you sent me is fine. But I want to open a dialogue about a couple things. Other players with more experience in 4e feel free to weigh in. Some of the options you propose are significantly more powerful than what is available in the core rules. The Stone Blood power for example. It's basically what you get when you combine Scorching Burst and Ray of Frost. A ranged 10 burst 1 power that slows opponents. Maybe I could allow this as a close blast 3 power. Otherwise it seems too powerful.

Also I have caught up on the discussion of the Weapon Expertise (Weapon) feat versus the (Weapon) Expertise feats. Obviously (W) E has made WE (W) obsolete and I'm okay with that. Anything else that is obsolete that I should know about?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
wolfattack: I responded to your PM. Your character is ready to post as soon as you make the fixes I noted.

Voda Vosa: You might want to figure out a way to reconcile being at a heavy load if you absolutely insist on carrying a greataxe and a halberd at the same time. Might I recommend simply using a battleaxe? It's versatile so you can use it in two hands if you want and still be able to store it as a one-handed weapon.

Everyone has their characters ready. I'll post a Characters thread in the Rogue's Gallery and we can begin shortly. I have the first adventure planned out.

drothgery

First Post
Also I have caught up on the discussion of the Weapon Expertise (Weapon) feat versus the (Weapon) Expertise feats. Obviously (W) E has made WE (W) obsolete and I'm okay with that. Anything else that is obsolete that I should know about?

The same is true for implement expertise feats, where a new implement expertise feat exists (only for rods, staves, and wands; there's not a new feat for holy symbols or tomes, and the only feat that works for both weapon and implement powers is Staff Expertise, so swordmages, dagger sorcerers, and a some other builds are out of luck).

Improved Defenses is strictly better than paragon defenses or robust defenses (because it scales, and is available at heroic tier). Implement Focus is usually better than the energy-type specific bonus damage feats.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases