Airwalkrr's 4e Game OOC - Suspended Indefinitely

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Voda Vosa: Well the battleaxe is versatile, so you can use it as a two-handed weapon if you want to gain an extra +1 to damage. That would make it count for your Two-Handed Weapon Talent as far as I am concerned. Obviously not as powerful a weapon as the greataxe, but more feasible from a physics perspective for you to be swapping them round-to-round.

wolfattack: If you want, here's a Holy Symbol Expertise feat you can use, until they publish some "official" version.
[sblock=Holy Symbol Expertise]Your holy symbol helps you channel divine power. But it also clearly marks you as a divine champion and a favored soul of the gods. By presenting your holy symbol you can mark foes who are affected by your divine powers.
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls that you make
with a holy symbol. The bonus to attack rolls increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
When you hold or wear a holy symbol, you can mark one target per round hit by any attack with the implement keyword. The target remains marked lasts until the end of your next turn.[/sblock]

Everyone: The Rogue's Gallery is up. I might have you put your characters in a wiki at some point, but for now the RG will work. I will also put up a teaser IC in the next day or two so you can start RPing.

Before we begin, I'd like to get everyone to answer a few questions just so I have an idea of what kind of campaign you like. Just pick the answer that best fits your preference. Please PM me your answers. I want everyone's honest opinions and I will try to run a game that will be fun for all. Bear in mind I understand 4e has some basic assumptions about certain things so I will adjust things accordingly to keep the game fair.

1) How common should magic items be?
a: They should grow on trees and be sold in candy shops.
b: They should be easily available for anyone with the gold to buy them.
c: They should be difficult to come by, but reasonably available if one spends the time to look for them.
d: They should be extremely rare and special items with unique backgrounds and detailed histories.

2) What do you think of character death?
a: Adventurers have a dangerous profession; it's no big deal, just a chance to roll up a new character.
b: Character death is common enough, but there's always a priest willing to raise your character... for the right price.
c: Character death should be uncommon, instructive when it happens, and never occur because of random chance alone.
d: If you kill my character I will quit because my character is too important to me to die.

3) How challenging do you like encounters to be?
a: Who cares if I'm level 1? Bring on the great wyrm red dragons already! (extremely challenging)
b: If I'm not bloodied or unconscious at some point during the battle, I'm going to get bored. (somewhat challenging)
c: I like it when my enemies flee from me in terror, but every once in a while I want them to stand up and fight back. (not very challenging)
d: You mean there are monster types who aren't minions? (not challenging at all)

4) How important is the story?
a: My name is Eladriel the Grave, Master of the Arcane Myths and I come from the land of Orbitius where the beholders have oppressed my people for generations. But someday soon, vengeance shall be mine! (very important)
b: My name is Eladriel the wizard. My homeland is overrun by monsters so I became an adventurer. (somewhat important)
c: I play a wizard named Eladriel. (not very important)
d: Where is this Store and what level Es can I buy there? I have gold burning a hole in my pocket. (not important at all)

5) What types of adventures do you enjoy most?
a: A good old-fashioned dungeon crawl is my favorite.
b: I feel more at home in nature. I prefer wilderness adventures.
c: The city has everything! Why would I ever go anywhere else? Urban adventures are my style.
d: A fantasy world with elves and goblins is too mundane. I want to explore the outer planes!
e: I prefer a healthy mix of things to keep me interested.

Walking Dad

First Post
Walking Dad: Most of the stuff you sent me is fine. But I want to open a dialogue about a couple things. Other players with more experience in 4e feel free to weigh in. Some of the options you propose are significantly more powerful than what is available in the core rules. The Stone Blood power for example. It's basically what you get when you combine Scorching Burst and Ray of Frost. A ranged 10 burst 1 power that slows opponents. Maybe I could allow this as a close blast 3 power. Otherwise it seems too powerful.

Also I have caught up on the discussion of the Weapon Expertise (Weapon) feat versus the (Weapon) Expertise feats. Obviously (W) E has made WE (W) obsolete and I'm okay with that. Anything else that is obsolete that I should know about?

If you look at the wizard at-will powers and the at-will powers of the later published controller classes, you see that Wizards made most of the old wizard at-wills too weak.

Just as the new expertise feats in effect replace the old ones,
Leaden Transformation is an updated (burst) freezing ray without the cold descriptor and freezing burst is a cold scorching burst that also slides.

The new powers are not too strong, if you look at the other material. The old ones were just too weak (just compare scorching burst with the Invoker's vanguard lightning. The same power, but the divine version adds another effect fpr no penalty). IMHO, they should have errated them and not quasi replace them.

Can some of the other 4e players back my claim up?

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Scorching Burst is good for a tiefling, or genasi with the right feats, but yes, a number of feats were made far better in Essentials (like Expertise, Improved Defenses, and a few others) so too was Leaden Transformation & Freezing Burst.

Wizards (the company) were not really sure in PHB 1 how or what a controller should be, so most of the at-wills for a wizard were not controller-y at all. Heck, Scorching Burst has 0 control, it's just a low-damage burst power. The only power I feel they got right was Thunderwave (and 90% of wizards I saw had this power) as you could re-arrange the battlefield with it.

It's your game however so whatever you're comfortable with.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I don't actually own the Essentials, s I couldn't tell. However, I played wizards from the first 4e books, and always get the feeling that my powers were weaker. But perhaps that's just me. I see now in the other books, PH2 & 3 and stuff, that there are many better powers and feats to take, even for martial classes.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Okay then, as long as the group has a general consensus that Stone Blood is an appropriate at-will power, I will roll with it.

I've got answers from everyone but Walking Dad on the questions. Don't need them anytime soon, but they will help your old DM help you have fun, so please take the time whenever you had a spare moment to PM me your answers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases