Wrath of Ashardalon question

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Just hoping if someone could clarify something for me.

Do tiles only get placed down in the exploration phase? so even if a player in the hero phase moves to the edge of a tile, it doesn't get added there and then?

VictorC

Explorer
Just hoping if someone could clarify something for me.

Do tiles only get placed down in the exploration phase? so even if a player in the hero phase moves to the edge of a tile, it doesn't get added there and then?

Just moving to the edge of the tile doesn't do anything. Only after the hero phase can exploration begin.

So in answer to your question, yes, tiles are only placed during the exploration phase.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Exceptions occur due to Encounter cards that cause more tiles to be placed, but the regular placement of new tiles only occurs when a hero is adjacent to an unexplored edge during the Exploration Phase. Note also that if they're at the corner of a tile and thus adjacent to two unexplored edges, only one edge is explored!

On Puget Sound

First Post
Just played our first game of it last night. We have played Castle Ravenloft, so most of the rules were familiar, but we still hit a few snags. Wondering if anyone here can shed light on these, though I sent them to WotC custserv also:

When placing a second tile due to Long Hallway, do we place a monster on that second tile?

Chamber: Treasure Hoard - Are the treasure tokens placed face down or face up? It seems usually the total value of treasure tokens in the chamber will be less than 2000; this makes the scenario unwinnable. Should treasure CARDS acquired elsewhere in the dungeon count toward victory? If a "Treasure" treasure token is found, should the value of the card drawn because of it be treated as the value of that token? What if the item so drawn is a potion, and is expended before the party escapes; does it still count? It feels like there is something missing from this scenario to make it winnable.

Assault on Firestorm Peak Scenario: Ashardalon will appear when the "Treasure Hoard" chamber is found, and might appear in the "unknown overlord" chamber. If he is killed in either of those adventures, is the scenario over? Should those chamber cards be removed when playing the scenario to prevent this early end?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
When placing a second tile due to Long Hallway, do we place a monster on that second tile?

The general consensus on BGG is "Yes, it's more fun." We've done so in the four games we've played so far, and it hasn't been a problem for us.

Chamber: Treasure Hoard - Are the treasure tokens placed face down or face up? It seems usually the total value of treasure tokens in the chamber will be less than 2000; this makes the scenario unwinnable. Should treasure CARDS acquired elsewhere in the dungeon count toward victory? If a "Treasure" treasure token is found, should the value of the card drawn because of it be treated as the value of that token? What if the item so drawn is a potion, and is expended before the party escapes; does it still count? It feels like there is something missing from this scenario to make it winnable.

I'd place them face up.

Indeed, it seems that the victory conditions are misprinted. Let us know what Wizards say! (I'd say, "get all five tokens and escape to win the scenario").

Assault on Firestorm Peak Scenario: Ashardalon will appear when the "Treasure Hoard" chamber is found, and might appear in the "unknown overlord" chamber. If he is killed in either of those adventures, is the scenario over? Should those chamber cards be removed when playing the scenario to prevent this early end?

I'm a little confused about which scenario you're talking about. I assume you mean #12.

In Adventure 12, "The Wrath of Ashardalon", the Unknown Overlord probably shouldn't be Ashardalon, but it just means the game might end quicker. You can remove the Ashardalon monster token from the pile, or just play until Ashardalon is dead.

(Note that you could add the villain monster tokens from Castle Ravenloft to this scenario for extra variety).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases